MozillaZine

Firefox 67, multiple user profiles, FF 66 behaviour required

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
katoda

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 12:46 am

Greetings,
yesterday I updated my Firefox to v67 and found out that the announced change related to multiple Firefox versions working together has some bad impact on me.
Basically, on my machine Firefox is set a a default browser and I have two user profiles. One is set as default, another one, for which I have a separate Firefox shortcut, is launched by using Firefox's -P parameter. It worked perfectly: If there were no Firefox running and e.g. a link in the Word document was clicked, then a new Firefox windows with default profile is launched - as expected. But If I already had running Firefox with second profile, then there were no new instance launched, just a new tab in the current opened Firefox windows was created.
With the current version, even if I have already Firefox with second profile opened, such click launches another instance of Firefox, with the default profile.
Is there any way to force Firefox to not launch a second instance but just use the currently opened instance, as it was before?

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 1:10 am

Use -no-remote.

Anything is as expected. Firefox did not changed anything.
users using outdated and vulnerable software probably never will get an answer from me - sticked with the past? stay alone.

katoda

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 1:23 am

AFAIK this switch forces the current behaviour, I mean different instances per profile - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ne_Options
I need something opposite - to force to use the current running instance.
BTW I'm looking for a solution since yesterday and tried -no-remote option already, without any luck.

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 4:16 am

I take it that (previously, or even currently) you were (are) not running both Profile simultaneously?

Actually, it sounds like the 2nd Profile is using the -no-remote switch which would cause the situation you're now describing.

https://blog.nightly.mozilla.org/2019/0 ... hitecture/
Rather vague on details & meaning & understanding.

Likewise, "Firefox will now protect you against running older versions of the browser which can lead to data corruption and stability issues".
Last edited by therube on May 22nd, 2019, 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

katoda

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 4:25 am

therube wrote:I take it that (previously) you were not running both Profile simultaneously?

Indeed, only one profile at a time.
therube wrote:Actually, it sounds like the 2nd Profile is using the -no-remote switch which would cause the situation you're now describing.

It looks like, but the problem is that apparently Firefox imposes this switch silently. I launch this second profile from a standard Firefox shortcut created during installation (without any parameters inside), in profiles.ini this profile is marked as default, so it is picked up during standard Firefox launch. Before v67 in case of already running Firefox process (started with 1st profile), Firefox did not use this default profile and switches to already running Firefox instead. Now it is not working any more.

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 4:29 am

Opening Profile Manager (but making no select - at that point) runs:

> firefox.exe -P -no-remote

Don't know offhand if that is a new behavior or not?

SeaMonkey does not look to do that.
FF 56 does not do that.
FF 66 does not do that.

So FF 67 is silently adding a -no-remote switch.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 4:44 am

FF 67, opens Profiles, seemingly after the first instance ?, opened through Profile Manager, with the -no-remote switch (even though once that [new] Profile is opened, it does not specifically show it was opened with -no-remote).

That is totally asinine as it totally breaks all previous behaviors.

And the best they is to post some meaningless "blog" that tells you nothing.
So you're left to figure this out on your own.

Idiots! (to put it lightly)

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 4:47 am

And they did this because "power users", those using nightly or whatever, can't figure out to use their "power".
Idiots x2!

Isn't this totally Microsoft-like. To a T.

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 4:49 am

And so what does -no-remote now do?
And what does -P now do?

firefox.exe -P profile123

It no longer automatically loads profile123, instead, it brings up Profile Manager.
And that is expected to be a "good" behavior.

No that's all wrong [or is it?]...

No, that is correct.
Was correct.

In the past, firefox -p profile123, would query profiles.ini for the profile, profile123, & then open firefox using that Profile.

Right now, I can, firefox52.exe -p profile123 & that will open FF 52 using profile profile123.
Currently, with firefox67.exe -p profile123, brings up Profile Manager - allowing me to select any profile, or create a new one... & if I select profile123, that will open.

Ah, I'm getting confused now (that my blood pressure has risen).

So take all that you have known & throw it out.

Some of this behavior even looks to have changed with FF 66.

Command_Line_Options:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ne_Options
Last edited by therube on May 22nd, 2019, 5:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 4:54 am

FF 67, opens Profiles, seemingly after the first instance ?, opened through Profile Manager, with the -no-remote switch (even though once that [new] Profile is opened, it does not specifically show it was opened with -no-remote).

And even that may be wrong?
Looks like even the first instance is running in some "isolated" fashion?
As in maybe all instance are running "separate"?

As in with a first 67 opened, & a second 67 opened (simultaneously) - with the -no-remote switch (as has always been the case, since inception), I can now open a FF 66 instance (also simultaneously) - without the -no-remote switch.

So everything you knew - throw it out, because its different, now.
Wonderful.

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 5:08 am

In addition to profiles.ini...

E:\Users\RUBEN\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\installs.ini
Code: Select all
[D4D64138A454E275]
Default=C:\WLIB\Mozilla\USERS\FF61
Locked=1

[8A92B18FED63327C]
Default=C:\TMP\SEA\52.9\PROFILE67
Locked=1

And these things, [D4D64138A454E275], must be like GUIDs.
Last edited by therube on May 22nd, 2019, 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Lion

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 5:10 am

katoda wrote:Basically, on my machine Firefox is set a a default browser and I have two user profiles.

Golden rule of running two of more Firefox versions is never to have any set as the default browser!

Other programs, antivirus, email, new versions notifications, Help files, etc often use default to inform you of something and do it unexpectedly, i.e. when you're on the non-default one. You got off light, in the past entire profiles have been totally wrecked by having one set to default and that happening.

Didn't you read Ed's sticky on Builds on running multi-versions?
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 5:18 am

I'll disagree with that.
Or at least, to each his own.

There should be no problem with having a "default" Profile, IMO.
Though to circumvent unexpected openings, you may (do) have to take precautions.

In my case, I do have (have always had) a default (SeaMonkey) Profile.
But then I also set profiles.ini:
Code: Select all
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0

which will then force a (Profile Manager) prompt - before any (a/v, email, new version notification...) can actually "get out".
It is at that point, that I am afforded the ability to abort that (a/v, email, new version notification...)'s attempt to open my default browser.
Now I have to manually dismiss the (Profile Manager) prompt, but that has always (& still does) work for me.

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 5:29 am

Knowing that FF users are dumb, are expected to be dumb, don't use extensions, windows, tabs... what does that make a "power" FF user (in particular one that cannot even figure out how to use Profiles)?
Last edited by therube on May 22nd, 2019, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

therube

Post Posted May 22nd, 2019, 5:35 am

Bug 1474285 Implement profile-per-install
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1474285

https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/mozi ... babf220962
Uses a different profile depending on the install directory of the application. installs.ini is used to map a hash of the install directory to a profile directory. If no profile is marked as default for the current install we use a heuristic explained in the code to decide whether to use the profile that would have been used before this feature. The feature is disabled in snap builds where the install directory changes for every version of the app, but multiple instances cannot share profiles anyway. A boolean flag is used to turn on the feature because in a later patch we need to be able to turn off the behaviour at runtime.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... rofile_to/

Return to Firefox Support