MozillaZine

Firefox hangs intermittently (Linux)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tohiko

Post Posted October 18th, 2018, 4:07 am

I have been a Firefox user for years and I recently updated to Firefox 62.0.3 (64-bit) on the latest Ubuntu 18.04.

Now, every once in a while, with no apparent pattern, a grey spinning wheel appears in the middle of all my loaded tabs or newly created ones. Firefox is responsive (in that I can close it, open menus or open new tab) but all the tabs have a spinning grey wheel or are completely unresponsive. This lasts for a few seconds (and happens every couple hours) then everything goes back to normal. If I have a page that is playing some sound (like Spotify web player), the sound is also muted for these few seconds. But the problem happens even if I don't have Spotify web player open (though it might be with less frequency).

Here's what I tried so far (with exactly the same results):
- Create a new profile with no plugins
- Start firefox in safe mode
- Refresh firefox from the "about:support" page
- Disable (or enable) hardware acceleration and reduce the content process limit to 1.

Any ideas? I have stopped using Firefox because of this problem, but I really don't like Chrome.
Last edited by DanRaisch on October 18th, 2018, 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Linux) added to subject line.

LIMPET235

Post Posted October 18th, 2018, 4:11 am

Moving this to Firefox Support...
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Grumpus

Post Posted October 18th, 2018, 5:47 am

The sites you visit, are they media intensive?
Are you connecting to more than one intense site at a time?
Are you waiting for sites provided viewers to function?
Sometimes, if you are blocking a script or a site with some form of media and is slow to load you will see this.
Something similar happens on some news sites where a replay of TV broadcast is involved.
If you see a panel place your cursor over the bottom of the panel and see if a pause or other controls show.
If the entire page is showing and only the activity indicator is cycling see if the tab is in full screen, try a smaller screen if so.
Cashless society sacrifices independence, privacy and lastly liberty, encouraged by ignorance and villainy.

tohiko

Post Posted October 18th, 2018, 7:26 am

Grumpus wrote:The sites you visit, are they media intensive?
Are you connecting to more than one intense site at a time?
Are you waiting for sites provided viewers to function?
Sometimes, if you are blocking a script or a site with some form of media and is slow to load you will see this.
Something similar happens on some news sites where a replay of TV broadcast is involved.
If you see a panel place your cursor over the bottom of the panel and see if a pause or other controls show.
If the entire page is showing and only the activity indicator is cycling see if the tab is in full screen, try a smaller screen if so.

Most website are not crazy media-intensive. And my browsing experience is not different on Chrome (or older versions of Firefox) where this problem does not appear. I am not blocking any scripts, since the problem appears even with a clean profile with no plugins.

Grumpus

Post Posted October 19th, 2018, 7:38 am

In /edit /preferences/General - Have you checked the DRM - Digital Rights Management.
If the media on the sites is protected this could cause the issue if the DRM is not checked.
Cashless society sacrifices independence, privacy and lastly liberty, encouraged by ignorance and villainy.

milomak

Post Posted October 21st, 2018, 10:23 am

can you give an example of a site?

i'm running debian sid and ff 60.2.2 esr and thinking of moving out of esr. so i will test and then move to non-esr

Return to Firefox Support