MozillaZine

A Few Upgrade Question

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
freddygarvin

Post Posted June 19th, 2018, 12:14 am

I've been running 32 bit Firefox for a while now. Mainly because some of the extensions I use no longer work in newer versions of Firefox, but it seems a bit slower lately and Firefox keeps asking me every two hours whether I want to upgrade, so I upgraded to version 60. It does seem a bit faster, though not hugely so. Now that I have upgraded, I'd like to get back some of the functions I used to have.

First I'd to get rid of the Bookmarks Toolbar, Bookmarks Menu and Other Bookmarks folders on the Bookmarks Sidebar. This is complicated by the fact there no longer seems to be a bookmarks button where you can access the bookmarks that are not on the Bookmarks Sidebar, so if I get rid of the folder, will I still have access to the Bookmarks Toolbar?

I used to be able to use status 4 evar to block the little pop up that appears in the lower left corner when clicking on a link. Is there a way to get rid of that?

This may be related, but when I hover over a link in a forum, it gives me a pop up of the first paragraph of the thread. I'm generally against pop ups and tooltips, so I'm wondering if there's a way to get rid of these?

Thanks for any help.

jscher2000

Post Posted June 19th, 2018, 10:45 am

freddygarvin wrote:First I'd to get rid of the Bookmarks Toolbar, Bookmarks Menu and Other Bookmarks folders on the Bookmarks Sidebar. This is complicated by the fact there no longer seems to be a bookmarks button where you can access the bookmarks that are not on the Bookmarks Sidebar, so if I get rid of the folder, will I still have access to the Bookmarks Toolbar?

Some aspects of the sidebar can be styled with custom style rules in a userChrome.css file, but the bookmarks tree uses some nonstandard code so it's tricky to modify.

There is an optional Bookmarks Menu button for the main toolbar. It looks like a star sitting in a tray (like a classic wooden Inbox). (Image) To add that button, either:

(A) Use the Customize panel (Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars) to drag the icon to the desired spot on the toolbar

(B) Use the method from Bookmarks in Firefox - section entitled: ''How do I add the Bookmarks Menu button to the toolbar?''

freddygarvin wrote:I used to be able to use status 4 evar to block the little pop up that appears in the lower left corner when clicking on a link. Is there a way to get rid of that?

Do you mean the URL of whatever you're about to click? Or the progress messages like Connecting, Reading, Loading, Waiting, etc.? You would need to use custom style rules in a userChrome.css file to hide the ones you don't want to see.

freddygarvin

Post Posted June 26th, 2018, 2:41 am

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something like editing the .css file, but I'm afraid that's beyond my ability. Thanks again.

jscher2000

Post Posted June 26th, 2018, 9:10 pm

freddygarvin wrote:I figured it was something like editing the .css file, but I'm afraid that's beyond my ability.

You can do it with the recipe, time, and stubborn determination. I guess you need to decide that it annoys you enough. If you reach that point, then:

See: https://www.userchrome.org/how-create-userchrome-css.html

Code: Select all
/* Suppress Connecting/Waiting/Reading/Transferring */
#statuspanel[type="status"] {
  display: none !important;
}

/* Suppress Link Destination Overlay */
#statuspanel[type="overLink"] {
  display: none !important;
}

Return to Firefox Support