MozillaZine

No session file in profile folder

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Alfred001

Post Posted June 11th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Well, I've succeeded, sort of.

I got two files in the sessionstore-backup folder that are potential restore files:

recovery.baklz4 and previous.jsonlz4

recovery.baklz4 is a little more recent and bigger.

When I use recovery.baklz4 to try to restore by renaming it to sessionstore.jsonlz4 and putting it in the profile folder I get nothing. No tabs, the "restore previous session" option is available, but it just restores one empty tab.

When I use previous.jsonlz4 it works, I get my session.

Now, this is not a tragedy, recovery.baklz4 is not THAT more recent, but I'm just curious as to why it won't restore. The instructions I found on Reddit say any file in sessionstore-backup should be restorable, the file is not empty, it's actually bigger than the one I am able to restore from, so what gives?

therube

Post Posted June 11th, 2018, 4:18 pm

Might be help to try restore attempts in a new Profile.
Ensure that any previous /sessionstore-backups/ & any sessionstore*.* are removed first.
(Likewise removed prior to each separate attempt to read from 1 of your backups.)
Then copy in, from your backups, with FF closed, into your Profile folder, what you want to attempt to restore.
Make sure it is renamed ssessionstore.json(lz4) (as appropriate).

With that, less likely that FF could (automatically, for various reasons) pull from some backup that you are not expecting it to try.

So if doing above, with your more recent, bigger, recovery.baklz4, if that still fails, then you might "conclude" that that particular file, while physically is larger, may contain "nothing", or maybe is in a corrupt state so simply will not restore.

You could always decompress the file (kind of a pain in the butt, because its lz4 compression, as implemented is not compatible with most decompression tools that would otherwise decompress an lz4 file) & have a look through & see if there is what would appear to be meaningful data therein.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

jscher2000

Post Posted June 12th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Alfred001 wrote:When I use recovery.baklz4 to try to restore by renaming it to sessionstore.jsonlz4 and putting it in the profile folder I get nothing. No tabs, the "restore previous session" option is available, but it just restores one empty tab.

Did you check for closed windows?

Either:

* "Library" toolbar button > History > Recently Closed Windows (and within each restored window, Recently Closed Tabs)
* (menu bar) History > Recently Closed Windows (and within each restored window, Recently Closed Tabs)

Also, I have a tool on my website to extract the URLs into a page of clickable links. If all else fails, drag and drop the file onto this page, then click Scrounge URLs: https://www.jeffersonscher.com/res/scrounger.html

Alfred001

Post Posted June 13th, 2018, 11:22 am

jscher2000 wrote:
Alfred001 wrote:When I use recovery.baklz4 to try to restore by renaming it to sessionstore.jsonlz4 and putting it in the profile folder I get nothing. No tabs, the "restore previous session" option is available, but it just restores one empty tab.

Did you check for closed windows?

Either:

* "Library" toolbar button > History > Recently Closed Windows (and within each restored window, Recently Closed Tabs)
* (menu bar) History > Recently Closed Windows (and within each restored window, Recently Closed Tabs)

Also, I have a tool on my website to extract the URLs into a page of clickable links. If all else fails, drag and drop the file onto this page, then click Scrounge URLs: https://www.jeffersonscher.com/res/scrounger.html

Thanks!

I tried looking in recently closed, but there's nothing there.

I ran the file through the tool on your site and it showed the file to have the same thing FF shows me - just one blank tab.

Which I don't get, since the file is larger than the one that restores successfully, but I suppose it might have gotten corrupted. :(

Brummelchen

Post Posted June 13th, 2018, 11:26 am

recovery.baklz4 to try to restore by renaming it to sessionstore.jsonlz4

absolutely wrong.
because 1st is in subfolder and 2nd not.
is has to be recovery.jsonlz4 in its place
then you have to restore previous session from menu.

Alfred001

Post Posted June 30th, 2018, 5:44 am

Brummelchen wrote:
recovery.baklz4 to try to restore by renaming it to sessionstore.jsonlz4

absolutely wrong.
because 1st is in subfolder and 2nd not.
is has to be recovery.jsonlz4 in its place
then you have to restore previous session from menu.

Just to see if I understood you correctly, you're saying take recovery.baklz4 and change extension to .jsonlz4, put it in the sessionstore-backup folder and then run Firefox and click on restore previous session, is that right?

Return to Firefox Support