MozillaZine

No session file in profile folder

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Alfred001
 
Posts: 227
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 9:36 am

Post Posted June 8th, 2018, 11:53 pm

I went to

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\34acvwe.default

and I understand session files are supposed to be here, but I've got no session files in here. Nothing titled session or previous or anything like that.

Am I in the wrong folder, could they be somewhere else?

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3515
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 12:43 am

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/66.0.3359.181 Safari/537.36

unfortunately based on this user agent there is not much help possible.

there dont exist any longer any session files except "sessionCheckpoints.json" and a subfolder "sessionstore-backups"
thats all.

do you miss sessions? using private mode?
create a new profile to test.

Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
Most problems with Firefox can be fixed by following the troubleshooting methods described below. Try these steps in order.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... x-problems

provide some information please (text, not raw)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox

the-edmeister

User avatar
 
Posts: 32065
Joined: February 25th, 2003, 12:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 12:53 am

NO - that's the wrong folder path.

Not in the \AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ file path, look in the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\34acvwe.default folder.

.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Alfred001
 
Posts: 227
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 9:36 am

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 1:03 am

the-edmeister wrote:NO - that's the wrong folder path.

Not in the \AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ file path, look in the C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\34acvwe.default folder.

.


Ah, appreciate it!

So I got

session.rdf
session-1.rdf
session-2.rdf
session-3.rdf
sessionCheckpoints.json
sessionstore.jsonlz4

in there, is there anything else I should make a backup of before I start monkeying with things?

I should note that session-3 is 64 000 kb, while sessionstore is 1 kb. I think I read that maybe sessionstore is the file new versions of FFox use? Or is it about the .jsonlz4 extension? Something like that.

therube

User avatar
 
Posts: 18785
Joined: March 10th, 2004, 9:59 pm
Location: Maryland USA

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 5:21 am

sessionstore.jsonlz4 only exist once FF is closed.
(Otherwise, while FF is running, it is renamed, moved, into /sessionstore-backups/.)

session*.rdf, what are they?
From some extension?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3515
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 6:10 am

session*.rdf, what are they?
From some extension?

deprecated from firefox, pls read above about current.
sessionstore.jsonlz4 only exist once FF is closed.

right, missed it because of running. sessions as "previous" "and "recovery" stored in subfolder.

the-edmeister

User avatar
 
Posts: 32065
Joined: February 25th, 2003, 12:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 10:00 am

I don't see the version of Firefox you are using posted here; this is what is currently used in Firefox 60.

Look in the sessionstore-backups folder for the .jsonlz4 or .bakjsonlz4 files.

With a real old Firefox 38 ESR version I have installed, the sessionstore-backups used .js (javascript) files. Same for Fx 47.0.1 using .js files.

The .rdf format for those session store files must be from a session store extension.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119722
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 10:50 am

I don't see the version of Firefox you are using posted here;

Yes, knowing which version of Firefox you are running would be very helpful here.

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3515
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 1:22 pm

OMG
@Dan - its another dupe of this problem here...
viewtopic.php?p=14802285#p14802285
viewtopic.php?p=14791384#p14791384

both NO feedback, pity and what a shame.

I'm running 58.0.1.

maybe still v59 , colud also v60, no one knows:

faking informations without reason and NOT answering on that is BS
unfortunately based on this user agent there is not much help possible.


a 3 month old problem renewed...

Alfred001
 
Posts: 227
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 9:36 am

Post Posted June 10th, 2018, 1:09 am

the-edmeister wrote:I don't see the version of Firefox you are using posted here; this is what is currently used in Firefox 60.

Look in the sessionstore-backups folder for the .jsonlz4 or .bakjsonlz4 files.

With a real old Firefox 38 ESR version I have installed, the sessionstore-backups used .js (javascript) files. Same for Fx 47.0.1 using .js files.

The .rdf format for those session store files must be from a session store extension.


Thanks!

I found sessionbackups and sessionstorebackups folder. I think the former might be from session store, as might be the case with the .rdf files, as you say.

Ok, I copied both folders, just in case, so I guess that's it as far as backing up any possible data, right?

DanRaisch wrote:
I don't see the version of Firefox you are using posted here;

Yes, knowing which version of Firefox you are running would be very helpful here.


I have the latest stable version.

Brummelchen wrote:
I'm running 58.0.1.

maybe still v59 , colud also v60, no one knows:

faking informations without reason and NOT answering on that is BS


Wait, am I being accused of something here?

unfortunately based on this user agent there is not much help possible.


a 3 month old problem renewed...


Actually, sadly, this is not a renewal of an old problem, but a new instance of it.

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3515
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted June 10th, 2018, 2:26 am

your view to the things - Dan closed the other threads because he has same view as me, nothing to argue about.

you still have a session problem and you continue to refuse answereing questions and to deliver facts.
so you still have to check --> Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
and return facts from about:config as i demanded in the first answer here

so at least - yes, you are accused for NO feedback!

Alfred001
 
Posts: 227
Joined: July 9th, 2011, 9:36 am

Post Posted June 10th, 2018, 3:56 am

Brummelchen wrote:your view to the things - Dan closed the other threads because he has same view as me, nothing to argue about.

you still have a session problem and you continue to refuse answereing questions and to deliver facts.
so you still have to check --> Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
and return facts from about:config as i demanded in the first answer here

so at least - yes, you are accused for NO feedback!


The whole point of the thread is that I want to back up everything that needs to be backed up before I run FFox again so something doesn't get overwritten, so I can't give you that info, because I'm avoiding running FF until I've backed everything up. As you can see, all my posts are from Chrome.

Not to be an ingrate, I appreciate you trying to help, but I didn't ask why the session crashed, I just asked info on what are all the session files I should back up and you're accusing me of not giving info for a problem I never asked help with.

But anyway, no need to argue about it, from the folder

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\34acvwe.default

I've backed up the following files:

session.rdf
session-1.rdf
session-2.rdf
session-3.rdf
sessionCheckpoints.json
sessionstore.jsonlz4

and the following folders:

sessionbackups
sessionstorebackups

And if you can confirm to me that that's all there is to back up I'll go about following the instructions I've found for restoring sessions and if that doesn't do it alone I'll report back with the info you requested.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119722
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted June 10th, 2018, 4:07 am

Identifying the files to backup can be difficult as progressive versions of Firefox may use different file names when storing session data. By progressive I mean older versions may use one file name (extension actually) while newer versions will use different extensions.
You will be better off backing up the entire Firefox profile rather than trying to select files to save. The "manual backup" procedure described in this article will allow you to do that -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3515
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted June 10th, 2018, 8:16 am

@Alfred - you have been pointed out which files and folders are current for firefox quantum. i
if that wont work you better deal with a fresh profile.

hint: some antivirus software (not windows defender) is known to make firefox fail, in passwords, in sessions, in history and more.

the-edmeister

User avatar
 
Posts: 32065
Joined: February 25th, 2003, 12:51 am
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Post Posted June 10th, 2018, 8:45 am

viewtopic.php?p=14802595#p14802595
Alfred001 wrote: I think the former might be from session store, as might be the case with the .rdf files, as you say.

.rdf is a simple text file. You can open that type of file in Notepad or Wordpad and copy the URL's .

As far as "session store" - if that is an extension, which it probably is if that is what generated the session.rdf files, forget "learning" that stuff. The .rdf format in Firefox is "yesterdays news"! Mozilla has been slowly getting rid of that format inside Firefox and no WebExtensions use that format for anything any longer. The JSON format is what is being used now for "backups" and many use sqlite for data storage, from what I have observed.

Wait, am I being accused of something here?

We're here to try to help you, but we really need to know which version of Firefox your support issues pertain to - do you expect us to look to your Feb thread here - viewtopic.php?p=14791384 - and assume that this is a problem that you still haven't solved? Bump the thread if you still need help, but don't continue creating new threads for the same problem; inconsiderate of our time and basically just rude.

Mozilla has done massive changes to Firefox over (say) the last 25 to 30 version numbers. Firefox may appear to work the same, but most of the 'guts' are different now. And that makes a big difference with how we approach helping you. It is incumbent on you to know or mention if an add-on / extension is or might be involved now or in the past. There are many very sharp people contributing to the Firefox support process here, but we're just human ; you need to give us a little bit of help so that we can help you solve your issues.

I gotta tell you that situations such as this is one reason that Mozilla has "locked down" Firefox with regards to add-ons and basically ruined how we customize Firefox. In the past it was like the "wild west" with how extension developers modified Firefox for their purposes, and Mozilla got blamed when the user had problems with what they installed to modify Firefox.

with that the-edmeister steps off his soapbox and concludes his rant
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests