MozillaZine

Is NoScript being actively maintained

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tnffuser

Post Posted May 28th, 2018, 9:38 am

The version for 58 and up seems to be a kludge, the interface is not intuitive and is hard to understand usage.
Seems that it was a lazy attempt at getting something up temporarily but with no followup.
In their forum I found only one entry for 2018, so no point going there.

therube

Post Posted May 28th, 2018, 10:39 am

Maintained, yes.

That the UI has changed, not particularly intuitive, that features are no longer available, well a lot of that belongs on Mozilla's hands, limitations of "webextensions".
I do not know of one webextension that has an improved interface over its Legacy counterpart.
Arguable whether any webextension has improved over its Legacy counterpart.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

kreemoweet

Post Posted May 28th, 2018, 1:10 pm

tnffuser wrote:In their forum I found only one entry for 2018, so no point going there.

You must have looked in the wrong place: I just looked at their forum, and it seems at least a dozen posts are made Every Single Day.

therube

Post Posted May 29th, 2018, 8:56 am

Well after the initial uproar over webex, after the ensuing months of teething pains, that forum, as has these forums, & I suspect every other "place" related to Mozilla, are essentially quiet.

Sad.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

tnffuser

Post Posted May 29th, 2018, 10:39 am

"I just looked at their forum, and it seems at least a dozen posts are made Every Single Day."
Link Please.
The link in the addon info for their forum: 'https://noscript.net/forum/noscript support' has one topic for May 2018 and this is about ff sync.
As TheRube pointed it is very quiet (as in almost dead).

therube

Post Posted May 29th, 2018, 11:09 am

Grumpus

Post Posted May 30th, 2018, 5:38 am

There is a current update to NoScript which has resolved some of the about:blank vs new tab and navigational problems.
Updated a few moments ago and tried on a few sites including Google search and pages cleared fine.
Current version NoScript 10.1.8.2. The dev does a good job with keeping up with changes and problems.

therube

Post Posted May 30th, 2018, 9:22 am

4td8s

Post Posted June 7th, 2018, 10:01 am

you can always check the NoScript Changelog on their web site to see the changes

the-edmeister

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 1:19 am

therube wrote:Well after the initial uproar over webex, after the ensuing months of teething pains, that forum, as has these forums, & I suspect every other "place" related to Mozilla, are essentially quiet.

Sad.

I am a bit late to the party here, but what about Facebook and Reddit Firefox help categories?
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/ - I do contribute there with a different username.
https://www.reddit.com/r/FirefoxCSS/
https://www.facebook.com/Firefox/ - I don't use Facebook but I have seen it mentioned by Mozilla staff frequently for support.

It seems that mozillaZine is almost dead lately, but SUMO is active - like 75 -100 new postings per day.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

therube

Post Posted June 9th, 2018, 3:40 am

Maybe it has to do with phones?
My mind does not click with FB, reddit or any other similar crap sites.

I do (cough) visit, from time to time, reddit, waterfox - only because I don't know that there is any other place (for them).
And that reddit ... infuriates me, makes no sense to me, I find hard to deal with.
Makes me less likely to actually reply or even to start a topic.
Got me, maybe it has to do with phones?

Facebook. Never been there. Suppose if you wanted (it seems Mozilla ducked out of there Mar 21) to see self-gloating or something like that (virtually anything that dribbles out of Mozilla, including from their blog, is meaningless drivel, self-gloating).

Can't imagine getting any true "support" from places like that.
Yeah, every so often, you might find an "answer" to a problem on reddit, but to actually pursue some sort of resolution there, like, really.
Maybe it has to do with phones.

Give me a proper forum.

(Now I've got to see what this "SUMO" is... ?)

Oh, that's their lousy-ass "forums", the with the "the best answer" deal.
Not my cup of tea.
Again looks like its made for phones.
And again, to have meaningful discussion there, not.

That these forums are dead, I see it as a precursor to the demise of Mozilla.

If FB is/was such a great platform, so you up & leave your "community" there high & dry because you had an issue with their policies. (Sush - don't look in the mirror.) Wouldn't it make more sense to force that discussion there on that platform rather then simply saying, "bye".

Grumpus

Post Posted June 11th, 2018, 5:05 am

The problem with any support site is they go both ways when it comes to help or no-help.
Occasionally I wander off into Google to find answers which may seem beyond some sites or unanswered elsewhere but I doubt it's indicative of Mozilla's demise.
Part of the issue with help or support of any kind are the current changes in OS platforms. Differences in package installs, live installs, etc., plus methods like Snap with several competing methods. I spent part of yesterday wandering through some of the current distros and did a load of reading on the changes.
Add to that the purchase of GitHub by Microsoft and it seems it may get more complicated until it settles down a bit if it does.
I'll be holding the monster by the neck while it goes through it's changes as predictability may be diaphanous.

Return to Firefox Support