MozillaZine

Remove duplicate Firefox browser entry in Default Programs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
videobruce

Post Posted May 14th, 2018, 6:29 am

Running Win7 Pro
Mozilla Firefox v56 Portable

This apparently happened after I checked under Options/General/Startup for FF to check if it's the default browser.
Now there is a 2nd "Firefox" in 'Default Programs' that apparently is using the default Firefox profile instead of the customized profile it should use. It opens in a their users unfriendly layout instead of my 'classic' layout which is a huge problem since it doesn't have my bookmarks among other things.

The default version is a 'Portable" version. The correct and the duplicated versions are the sane version number (56). I only have one Firefox folder in 'C' drive. Unless this is pointing to a duplicate folder elsewhere other than 'C'.

I assume this is a registry entry.

Idiot Exploiter couldn't be a standard even if it was the only browser and Chrome is just another way Google spies on you.

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 14th, 2018, 7:47 am

videobruce

Post Posted May 14th, 2018, 8:01 am

I did, but the question applies to M$ and it's lame broken default programs setup. Where are the registry enties that affect that screen shot?

BTW, Using a established desktop shortcut, that opens the program correctly. The problem occurs when FF is closed and I click on a e-mail link that opens it up incorrectly.
Idiot Exploiter couldn't be a standard even if it was the only browser and Chrome is just another way Google spies on you.

therube

Post Posted May 14th, 2018, 10:45 am

The problem occurs when FF is closed and I click on a e-mail link that opens it up incorrectly.

So just what is happening when you do this?

Maybe set IE as default, then go back & set Firefox as default.

Also, in that dialog, click the 'Choose defaults for the program' option, as FF may have "browser" selected, & Portable may have "mail" selected (or however they are listed).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

videobruce

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 4:25 am

Further details;

There were two shortcuts that were created apparently sometime after I unfortunately checked to check id FF was the default browser. One on the desktop and the other in the start menu, it wasn't in the "Startup" folder. I opened up 'properties' and both pointed to the 64bit version of "Firefox.exe" in in the Application/Firefox64 folder which would be the normal exe to run the "installed" program.
If I re-name "firefox.exe" to something else, clicking on a e-mail link in Thunderbird becomes a dead response (again, if FF wasn't already opened) which only partly solved the problem.

I went back in Default Programs, opened up the 'Portable" entry and added a check mark above the already individual checked 'Protocols' and that apparently solved the problem.

I probably have 15-20 'portable' applications/programs in a separate folder in 'C' that work fine. This is all because of Idiot Exploiter that is welded into M$'s O/S for the past 23 years causing problems where it should be a completely separate removable program like every other program is.

But the question remains, how can I delete/remove that 2nd 'bogus' entry in 'Default Programs'?

videobruce

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 4:27 am

therube;
I did already think about your idea, but wanted to try something else due to what I already posted about the problem with IE.

LIMPET235

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 4:38 am

Hi,
Seeing as you've also posted in the WIN 7 Fora...
> https://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-ma ... ost3388594
Why not wait until you receive a reply?

There is this other thread though...
> https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... ogram.html
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-57.0-61.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

videobruce

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 4:52 am

The idea in the reply didn't work.

But, that link was what I was looking for. =D>

LIMPET235

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 5:05 am

There are quite a few more threads on the subject, so why not try each one?
Some are pretty old & there's one that recommends a MS tool that may work.
Another way might be through the Registry.
Check the links at the bottom of that 2nd & later links.
That's what I did & found those other suggestions.

Plus...
Why do you want to make the Portable version your default browser?
This removes it's "portability" by adding registry entries.
Please ref; this PA thread...& post #10 by John T. Haller...
> https://portableapps.com/node/37743

Just an idea here, but why not install & use the full version as well as the portable?
That way, you can set the full as the default.
It may enable you to remove that entry by UN-installing the full version & then re-installing it if necessary?
Just guessing here.
Windows is weird.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-57.0-61.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 6:08 am

Why do you want to make the Portable version your default browser?

if some set firefox from a portable as default browser the result never be portable again.

firefox in a portable dont know about its starter, it only get the command where to find its profile and thats all.
(ofc the starter passes any parameter like url)

there are lot of tuts to set the starter instead firefox.

videobruce

Post Posted May 15th, 2018, 6:11 am

LIMPET235;
That solution does work! No need to look elsewhere. It is a registry fix which I figured would be a solution!
:wink:

From what I have read from the developer, it's a complicated situation with this, again due to IE being a 'embedded' program deeply rooted in M$'s POS O/S as it has been.

This 'Portable Apps' FF version is "portable" to a extent, but it does create entries buried in that dreaded 'Users' folder which I don't like one bit, but it has to according to the developer. This is unlike most other 'portable' applications that are truly 'stand alone' or 'USB applications' (of which I have plenty). I also have a 'portable' version of Opera Classic (v12.18) which can be made a 'portable' version from a regular 'installer' by a script. Frankly, I have made other 'installer' programs portable by one means ot another. It doesn't work with everything thou. :(

Return to Firefox Support