MozillaZine

How do I contact the Adblock people?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Robwood

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 3:52 pm

I was on YouTube when I suddenly spied a nefarious ad, newly applied to the site.

I can block elements, but not the frame. I'd like to contact the people who make Adblock to alert them to this eyesore, but I can't find any contact information for them either on their website or on their extension page. Does anyone have that information? Can anyone recommend an extension that'll get this out of my sight? Thanks in advance!
Never give anyone your two cents because it's only a penny for your thoughts.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 5:04 pm

AdBlock or AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origins?

Robwood

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 7:10 pm

Adblock Plus.

smsmith

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Maybe this page?
https://adblockplus.org/en/bugs

Particularly:
If an advertisement isn't blocked, the issue is more than likely related to the filters. Please report it by other means.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

DanRaisch

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 7:51 pm

And you've check on their forum? https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

LoveMyFoxy

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 11:10 pm

or switch to UblockOrigin.
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64-bit, 6GB RAM /FF 52ESR 64/ Thunderbird 52 / MS Sec. Essent./ Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

Robwood

Post Posted May 11th, 2018, 5:29 am

Thanks for the link, smsmith. I reported the page and we'll see what happens. LoveMyFoxy, I'll take a look at UblockOrigin, as well.

mgagnonlv

Post Posted May 11th, 2018, 6:38 am

Another thing to check in Adblock Plus: whether or not you accept "acceptable ads". Even if you have the best up to date filters, if the ad is considered "acceptable" by the Adblock Plus team, it will be displayed.

Go to Add Ons Preferences, then check Adblock Plus, then click on Options and check for general parameters. If "Acceptable ads" is checked – and it is by default – then the publicity you see may well fit their criteria for acceptable ads. If you feel you don't want to remove all publicity, then at least click the second box "authorize only ads without third party follow up".
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Robwood

Post Posted May 11th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Way ahead of you there, mgagnonlv. When Adblock Plus updated its preferences, I immediately unchecked that box.

Frank Lion

Post Posted May 12th, 2018, 4:16 am

Robwood wrote:I'd like to contact the people who make Adblock to alert them to this eyesore, but I can't find any contact information for them either on their website or on their extension page.

??

Their extension page https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... lock-plus/ has links on the right to both the Add-on home page and Support site

What you do to report on their forum is pretty obvious, but their homepage does also have a massive 'Report an Issue' link at the head of the page - https://adblockplus.org/

Most odd.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Robwood

Post Posted May 12th, 2018, 5:25 am

It must've been the old regular Adblock page that was giving me such a hassle, then. As for Adblock having its own forum, I didn't even know it had one--this is the only one I visit.

LoveMyFoxy

Post Posted May 12th, 2018, 11:54 am

Just about any piece of software has its own forum these days. It's probably cheaper to run a forum operated by users than to update a pdf manual with every new version of a program. I now belong to about 40 forums, some only because I had one question not answered by the Help file.

If you do decide to switch to Ublock, there's a fast way of blocking particular ads yourself on the fly. It also uses lots less memory than ABP.
Desktop--Win 7 Ult. 64-bit, 6GB RAM /FF 52ESR 64/ Thunderbird 52 / MS Sec. Essent./ Windows firewall / Verizon FIOS

tomatoshadow2

Post Posted May 12th, 2018, 12:06 pm

LoveMyFoxy wrote:Just about any piece of software has its own forum these days. It's probably cheaper to run a forum operated by users than to update a pdf manual with every new version of a program. I now belong to about 40 forums, some only because I had one question not answered by the Help file.

If you do decide to switch to Ublock, there's a fast way of blocking particular ads yourself on the fly. It also uses lots less memory than ABP.

And to add to what LoveMyFoxy said, Ublock Origin doesn't have an acceptable ads policy, the extension blocks all ads and takes no money from advertisers.

Robwood

Post Posted May 12th, 2018, 12:21 pm

LoveMyFoxy wrote:If you do decide to switch to Ublock, there's a fast way of blocking particular ads yourself on the fly. It also uses lots less memory than ABP.

Yeah, but Adblock has certain features and performs certain actions that I like, hence why I'm not going to immediately switch to Ublock; gotta research it first. For the most part, I never see any ads, hence why this one caught me off guard.

Frank Lion

Post Posted May 12th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Robwood wrote:Yeah, but Adblock has certain features and performs certain actions that I like, hence why I'm not going to immediately switch to Ublock

That's fine but, as you'll appreciate, when we here post on public forums we're aware that other people are constantly reading these threads as well. So, that suggestion is also for them, as much as for you.

They are also correct, for most people, uBlock Origin is a far superior product to Adblock Plus any day.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Return to Firefox Support