MozillaZine

FF 59.0.3 is not releasing memory?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ghot

Post Posted May 8th, 2018, 6:56 am

Ever since FF 59.0.0 I had a problem with FF not releasing physical memory. I just disabled superfetch in Services and now it seems to release the memory. Otherwise it just keeps slowly growing. (Physical Memory % in Task Manager).
I'm only running one extension, NoScript and the problem persists even with it disabled.

I'm running Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 with most of IT turned off. Only parts of that program that I run is the AV, the firewall and Advanced Threat Defense, but I've been running it that way for almost a year.

I only do the Security Only Updates for Windows 7 Home Premium x64, which I get straight from the MS Update Catalog.

Most Services and Windows features are shut off, and have been for years. I've only noticed this excessive Physical Memory % Usage for the last month or so.

I have 16GB of RAM, and normally it would hover around 12-17%. In the past month or so, it's been slowly climbing until it's like 40%, which it's never done before.

I don't have an SSD, so I'd like to be able to run Superfetch in Services, like I always used to.

/edit I'm also using a userChrome.css file. I just dl'd the one from that site that was recommended on here, and set everything so the browser looks like the old days.

https://imgur.com/2MbvkqK
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 8th, 2018, 8:50 am

I'm running Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 with most of IT turned off.

turning off does not matter - you have to uninstall and use the BD clean up program (to remove remnants)
it is most possible that BD is causing this, either with an extension or anything else.
i can not confirm that firefox is a memory hog.

and ofc the McAfee Software is intermitting
https://www.mcafee.com/de/products/adva ... fense.aspx

hint: never install two security suites/program which have same purpose.
either BD or McAfee, but not both!

ghot

Post Posted May 8th, 2018, 11:47 am

Only thing I am running is BD. Windows Defender and Windows Firewall is shut off. Nothing else is installed.

I don't understand where you got the idea that I have or have ever had McAfee.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 8th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Only parts of that program that I run is the AV, the firewall and Advanced Threat Defense

and now? "advanced threat defense" is a mcafee product, not bitdefender nor any other vendor.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted May 8th, 2018, 3:31 pm

To be honest the latest NoScript is a bloated problem causer and from other posts I have read just disabling it solves nothing I suspect the author is getting lazy. Try uninstalling it
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

ghot

Post Posted May 8th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Brummelchen wrote:
Only parts of that program that I run is the AV, the firewall and Advanced Threat Defense

and now? "advanced threat defense" is a mcafee product, not bitdefender nor any other vendor.

Advanced Threat Defense is just a module IN Bitdefender. Like the AV or the Firewall, it's not a separate program. I'm sorry I didn't make that clearer.

/e

malliz wrote:To be honest the latest NoScript is a bloated problem causer and from other posts I have read just disabling it solves nothing I suspect the author is getting lazy. Try uninstalling it

I think I will try that. It seems that about a month or so ago, it changed quite a bit. It could be the cause.
Also the May 2018 Windows Security Only update is supposed to fix the memory leak issue, that the Mar and Apr "security only updates" possibly caused.
We'll see I guess.

Brummelchen

Post Posted May 9th, 2018, 7:53 am

my bad, i did not investigate further and trusted google result.
but to have a true conclusion you should uninstall BD and use their uninstaller
https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

therube

Post Posted May 9th, 2018, 9:06 am

Very possible that it could just be the websites you happen to be visiting.

Possible your Profile is just "gummed up".
Don't ask me what that means, but it seems that sometimes a Profile can just start running like crap for no rhyme or reason.

So as a test, create a new, clean Profile, put your extensions back in, & visit the same sites, do the same types of actions & see how it goes?
(When I was looking at Quantum, I found that while it may use memory, it generally always ran well even if using a lot. IOW, just because it is using a lot it was not concerning as there were no negative consequences, where in older FF, you would be more apt to hang or crash.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

therube

Post Posted May 9th, 2018, 9:09 am

Malliz wrote:NoScript is a bloated problem causer

While I haven't been particularly paying attention to current NoScript (10.x), while it (because of being a webex, & changes, limitations enforced by webex/Quantum) it is quite different (more so in usability) compared to earlier NoScript, can't say I'm aware of "bloat" & problems?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

ghot

Post Posted May 9th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I think it may have been the Windows 7 security only updates. In both Mar and Apr, MS said you may experience memory leak, and that they were working on it.
Yesterday was MS patch Tuesday, and I did the May security only update. Since then, it seems that when I close the browser, it relases the memory like it used to.

Still testing, we will see.

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted May 9th, 2018, 3:09 pm

therube wrote:
Malliz wrote:NoScript is a bloated problem causer

can't say I'm aware of "bloat"

As in memory usage
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

therube

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 7:55 am

Possible your Profile is just "gummed up".
Don't ask me what that means, but it seems that sometimes a Profile can just start running like crap for no rhyme or reason.

In the particular instance, I traced it to a coin miner.

ghot

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 8:17 am

Well, still trying diff things.
I completely uninstalled FF 59.0.3, and removed all instances of the term Mozilla from C: drive.
Installed FF 60.0.0 clean, added my userChrome.css file, and fresh install of NoScript.

Then I made a complete C: backup.

THEN went and got the .NET framework and the Security only updates from MS.

I guess we'll see what happens.

LIMPET235

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 8:25 am

Hi ghot...
Just a heads-up...
I just tried the same updates & my WIN 7, HP, 32 bit, PC got stuck at 53% installation, 3 times.
&, it was stuck at that %age for ages....eg; about 20 or 30 minutes, until I could not stand it any longer.
I had to restart in Safe Mode & then Windows reverted the updates.
Apparently, it didn't "take" & so when Windows restarted it said that it was reverting the "Failed update installation".....again.
.(It actually removed the updates.......I checked to make sure.)

My PC now functions normally, so take care.
MS do not know what they are doing & the trouble they are causing.
Take note of what Woody reckons at....
> "askwoody.com"

&...Create a restore point before letting MS updates run free.
(I know that they create their own but I always create one of mine. JIC.)
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-57.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

ghot

Post Posted May 10th, 2018, 8:42 am

Yeah, Ask Woody has been a home of mine for years. :)

That's also why I made a backup right before I did the MS updates. I been doing that for years too. Hell I been making full OS image backups since about 2003. Just got plain tired of Windows Updates borking something, or a new program not working out.

Easy as all get out to restore from a backup.

/edit I never liked restore points. They just merge the old with the new.
I even made a bootable CD with Acronis True Image on it, so I can get at my backups even when Windows won't boot.
Last edited by ghot on May 10th, 2018, 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to Firefox Support