MozillaZine

"Firefox Bugs" = Firefox Quantum RANT!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Fruss
 
Posts: 6
Joined: November 16th, 2017, 3:14 pm

Post Posted November 22nd, 2017, 2:46 pm

Stick a fork in me, I'm DONE with this version! Let me know when ALL the bugs are worked out ALONG WITH support for add-ons or add-ons support of that version.


I tried uninstalling Quantum to 56.0.2, 56.0.1 and 56.0 but NoScripts would not work and in add-ons I got the 'disabled due to incompatibility' with Noscripts greyed out with the only option available was to 'remove'. :evil:

Is anyone aware how to get NoScripts working again outside of a Windows restore point? Otherwise that is probably my next attempt. NoScripts worked FLAWLESSLY until Quantum came along

I am currently posting with FF 56.0.2 which has restored my second most valuable add-on which is 'DeskCut'

Any help, and/or further rants, feel free to post.

IMO, this release was an extreme "not ready for prime time" version and many of the bugs should have been worked out ahead of time.

There are pages I frequent where comments refuse to load even when clicked on(Disqus and others), pictures, but not thumbnails, embedded Youtubes or other video, it's just a daily thing here, more and more things are being discovered that just refuse to load/work.

As to the workaround for DeskCut, which is to open a folder whaere you want to place the link, then highlight and drag that into the opened folder, which is 100% the same as Chrome browser, well, I may as well just use Chrome (very tempting at this point)!

I'm reminded of an avatar I once used named 'Microsoft Force' that depicted some cartoon character sitting in front of his computer monitor and keyboard with an arm coming out of the monitor pointing a handgun at the user with the other hand pointing down at the keyboard with what we are led to assume is the user is being forced to do something they don't want to do. I will add it if I can find it. Quite comical, but yet, it shows the frustration and lack of choice we get now and then, in this case FF Quantum :roll:

/rant

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119743
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted November 22nd, 2017, 3:15 pm

Moving to Firefox Support as no bug has been identified here.

Make sure you have the version of NoScript intended for versions of Firefox before 57. If that is already installed, try a new Firefox profile and install your required extensions. You can then copy files from the current profile to the new to restore your bookmarks, etc. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox

pepegot1
 
Posts: 318
Joined: December 23rd, 2008, 11:43 am

Post Posted November 22nd, 2017, 4:15 pm

If you want it on a silver plate your'e in the wrong place. I got my Firefox back and running, almost as complete as before, by using css scripts. This is no place for the slothful. New useful extension shall be forth coming and I will be able to reduce my css usage. In the meantime, I got it working and it is blazing fast!! No good comes without exertion.

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27330
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted November 22nd, 2017, 4:43 pm

With NoScript you may have been updated to the Version 10.0 which is a web extension and not a legacy extension.

Older (legacy) versions of NoScript for 56 and earlier is at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/versions/


Note you are not ranting to Mozilla but to other users on this independent forum. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

Negativeions
 
Posts: 244
Joined: September 17th, 2003, 12:07 pm

Post Posted November 22nd, 2017, 5:46 pm

uBlock Origin is acutally better than NoScript + Ad Block Plus combined.

Brummelchen
 
Posts: 3516
Joined: March 19th, 2005, 10:51 am

Post Posted November 23rd, 2017, 7:54 am

rants should go here
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/feedback/

this forum dont belong to mozilla, its a free community giving help, we dont care of rants, we try to help out!

PrimusUltimo
 
Posts: 16
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 12:33 am

Post Posted November 25th, 2017, 10:56 pm

pepegot1 wrote:If you want it on a silver plate your'e in the wrong place. I got my Firefox back and running, almost as complete as before, by using css scripts. This is no place for the slothful. New useful extension shall be forth coming and I will be able to reduce my css usage. In the meantime, I got it working and it is blazing fast!! No good comes without exertion.

That's the problem, isn't it? By using specialized skills, and working hard, you've managed to get FF working and almost as complete as before. If the best you can say about an update is that "expert users who exert themselves can get it to work almost as well as the previous version", it's very nearly as bad as it can get. I guess we can add to the list of positives that, as far as we know, FF57 hasn't caused any computers to catch fire and explode. Yet.

James wrote:Note you are not ranting to Mozilla but to other users on this independent forum. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

True, and, assuming some aren't aware of it, worth pointing out. Still, users sometimes need to vent their frustration in a good rant, and a proper rant has to be public. Ideally, Mozilla should have an easily accessible forum, where users could yell loudly and publicly at them. They once did, but, if they still do, I, for one, couldn't find it. So, when Mozilla messes up badly enough, people end up here, looking for a place to express their frustration. I believe you misunderstand in assuming that they intend to rant at each other (or at MozillaZine), though. They want to rant with and for each other. Maybe they even hope that some Mozilla developers occasionally drop by, and may notice their complaint. That's not entirely unreasonable, considering that you have a board named "Mozilla Development: Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform".

Admittedly, even if moderate and articulated enough to be considered acceptable, rants probably belongs more in "Firefox General: Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox". In this case, though, in my opinion, it's not completely unfair to categorize the update in its entirety as one big bug.

Brummelchen wrote:rants should go here
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/feedback/

this forum dont belong to mozilla, its a free community giving help, we dont care of rants, we try to help out!

The trouble is, ranting at a form is unlikely to reduce the level of frustration, and certainly won't result in any commiseration. I, and many others, I'm sure, have been there, done that, and don't feel much better for it.

I'm also not sure how helpful boundless loyalty to the latest update is, since giving help requires identifying the problem. In this case, the problem is, in the opinion of many, huge enough to require a rant to do it justice. It also may be beyond helping, other than by offering commiseration. That's still something, though.

Edit: Typos and such
Last edited by PrimusUltimo on November 26th, 2017, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 27330
Joined: June 18th, 2003, 3:07 pm
Location: Made in Canada

Post Posted November 25th, 2017, 11:26 pm

PrimusUltimo wrote:Ideally, Mozilla should have an easily accessible forum, where users could yell loudly and publicly at them. They once did, but, if they still do, I, for one, couldn't find it. So, when Mozilla messes up badly enough, people end up here, looking for a place to express their frustration. I believe you misunderstand in assuming that they intend to rant at each other (or at MozillaZine), though. They want to rant with and for each other. Maybe they even hope that some Mozilla developers occasionally drop by, and may notice their complaint. That's no entirely unreasonable, considering you have a board named "Mozilla Development: Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform".

Mozilla does have their own support forum for desktop Firefox since as early as 2007 and more recently some other things. It is at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions

Mozilla used to make use of this forum (since Nov 2002) as a place for Firefox users to get help until they started to get their own forum going more in 2008.

Jimac
 
Posts: 8
Joined: May 11th, 2017, 9:23 am

Post Posted November 26th, 2017, 10:31 am

If you are going to stay with 56.0.02 until 57 and its extensions are more established, you might look into the simple YesScript Add-on (not 57 compatible; don't try 57's YesScript2, too severe). It allows web pages to function normally, then when you hit a problem javascript site, click the browser icon and it blacklists it locally in your browser. Refresh the page manually and the problem on the site usually goes away. Click the icon again to take it off the list. The blacklist remembers the site next time you visit. No custom settings, does only the one thing. I won't upgrade to 57 until someone makes YesScript a WebExtension.

ZekeBlue

User avatar
 
Posts: 47
Joined: November 4th, 2007, 8:50 pm
Location: Alaska

Post Posted November 26th, 2017, 10:59 am

PrimusUltimo wrote:
pepegot1 wrote:If you want it on a silver plate your'e in the wrong place. I got my Firefox back and running, almost as complete as before, by using css scripts. This is no place for the slothful. New useful extension shall be forth coming and I will be able to reduce my css usage. In the meantime, I got it working and it is blazing fast!! No good comes without exertion.

That's the problem, isn't it? By using specialized skills, and working hard, you've managed to get FF working and almost as complete as before. If the best you can say about an update is that "expert users who exert themselves can get it to work almost as well as the previous version", it's very nearly as bad as it can get. I guess we can add to the list of positives that, as far as we know, FF57 hasn't caused any computers to catch fire and explode. Yet.

James wrote:Note you are not ranting to Mozilla but to other users on this independent forum. http://www.mozillazine.org/about/

True, and, assuming some aren't aware of it, worth pointing out. Still, users sometimes need to vent their frustration in a good rant, and a proper rant has to be public. Ideally, Mozilla should have an easily accessible forum, where users could yell loudly and publicly at them. They once did, but, if they still do, I, for one, couldn't find it. So, when Mozilla messes up badly enough, people end up here, looking for a place to express their frustration. I believe you misunderstand in assuming that they intend to rant at each other (or at MozillaZine), though. They want to rant with and for each other. Maybe they even hope that some Mozilla developers occasionally drop by, and may notice their complaint. That's no entirely unreasonable, considering you have a board named "Mozilla Development: Discuss building things with or for the Mozilla Platform".

Admittedly, even if moderate and articulated enough to be considered acceptable, rants probably belongs more in "Firefox General: Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox". In this case, in my opinion, it's not completely unfair to categorize the update in its entirety as one big bug.

Brummelchen wrote:rants should go here
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/feedback/

this forum dont belong to mozilla, its a free community giving help, we dont care of rants, we try to help out!

The trouble is, ranting at a form is unlikely to reduce the level of frustration, and certainly won't result in any commiseration. I, and many others, I'm sure, have been there, done that, and don't feel much better for it.

I'm also not sure how helpful boundless loyalty to the latest update is, since giving help requires identifying the problem. In this case, the problem is, in the opinion of many, huge enough to require a rant to do it justice. It also may be beyond helping, other than by offering commiseration. That's still something, though.


Image
. . . . . . . . . . Zeke

PrimusUltimo
 
Posts: 16
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 12:33 am

Post Posted November 26th, 2017, 5:40 pm

James wrote:Mozilla does have their own support forum for desktop Firefox since as early as 2007 and more recently some other things. It is at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions

Mozilla used to make use of this forum (since Nov 2002) as a place for Firefox users to get help until they started to get their own forum going more in 2008.


Yes, I'm aware of that... location. I just don't consider it a forum. It also bears no similarity to the actual forum that Mozilla used to have.

Since Roman times, "forum" has meant "a public place for discussions". What Mozilla calls a "forum" is, at best, a board for support related questions. Any criticism or discussion, no matter how polite and constructive, will be off-topic. When discussion is off-topic, it's not a forum. It doesn't just miss the definition by a narrow margin; it diametrically opposes half the criteria. Since I guess there may be definitions of "forum" floating about the width and breadth of the Web, that are nonsensical enough to accommodate this question board, I don't reject Mozilla's claim as a deliberate lie, but merely point out that it's based on a fundamental misunderstanding of the term.

Even as a simple board for questions, it suffers from a disastrously dysfunctional design. Of course, being optimized for tiny screens, it's on the "cutting edge" of fashion. In fact, it's fashionable to the point of being useless on a proper screen. The trouble with fashion, is that it's "cutting edge" is every bit as sharp as a very stylish drawing of a knife.

All in all, it's not a place for honest feedback, discussion with the developers, or even discussion between the users. As Mozilla has disconnected itself from its users, the first two are impossible. The last, however, can be accomplished on any real forum.

malliz
Folder@Home

User avatar
 
Posts: 43485
Joined: December 7th, 2002, 4:34 am
Location: Australia

Post Posted November 26th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Move on please some people actually want help here
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

PrimusUltimo
 
Posts: 16
Joined: November 25th, 2017, 12:33 am

Post Posted November 26th, 2017, 7:49 pm

malliz wrote:Move on please some people actually want help here

You've piqued my curiosity. What, exactly, is the specific mechanism at work, through which this thread prevents other users from getting help with their issues? Feel free to get into technical details. I'll follow your reasoning the best I can, however alien and peculiar I may find it.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119743
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted November 27th, 2017, 4:54 am

Locking this topic in Firefox Support as clearly no support is being sought here.

Return to Firefox Support


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LewS and 6 guests