MozillaZine

FF57 - ugly tabs

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
r3dplanet

Post Posted November 16th, 2017, 11:57 pm

The new rectangular tabs look like something that the USPS would develop. I have a super hard time seeing which tab is in focus or selected - more of this Windows 10 style of flat everything. Is there some way to make them easily readable again like in FF56 and previous?

the-edmeister

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 12:05 am

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

r3dplanet

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 12:19 am

Thank you. It's a little better. Hopefully there will be a theme or something to put all the icons back to where they were. My customers will certainly want that.

the-edmeister

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 12:33 am

Themes are very limited to what they can do.

Just be thankful that Mozilla still allows the individual user to do "backdoor" mods via userChrome.css .

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.

Negativeions

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 2:13 am

The default theme practically blacks out all other tabs other than the one you're on. If you have a hard time seeing which tab you're on, don't know what to tell you.

r3dplanet

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 7:50 am

Until I messed about with the above mentioned userChrome.css file, each tab was very nearly the same shade of gray. Focus is difficult. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Until the automatic, unasked for update I had no trouble seeing what tab I was on. I'm terribly sorry that you're not here to observe it. No idea how you think other tabs are "blacked out." I don't know what to tell you.

What I can say is that I run an IT business with a large customer base. I've been getting ratty calls and messages all day about what the F is up with Firefox. This will obviously continue for some time. I see no reason to provide excuses. I see no reason to "be thankful" for a diminished product. Or snarky responses. Changing style sheets might be okay for me or power users, but I'm not going to do the same for my customers unless it's a quick, two-step process like installing a theme.

It's pretty clear from this response and others plastered on the first several pages of this forum and elsewhere that this attitude on the part of developers and moderators seems to be the new way of things.

I'm so very sorry to have asked a question based on an obvious design fault.

RobertJ

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 9:11 am

Placing this in userChrome.css will "color" the active tab. Change the color to suit yourself.

Code: Select all
/* ACTIVE TAB BACKGROUND COLOR */

.tab-content[selected="true"] {
  background: rgba(65, 85, 145, 0.4) !important;
}

r3dplanet wrote:I'm so very sorry to have asked a question based on an obvious design fault.

That is your opinion.

FF 57.0.2 - FF 58b10 - Palemoon 27.3.0 - TB 52.5 - Mac OSX 10.13.2
Computers I've used: IBM 7094/UNIVAC 1108/IBM 360/DEC PDP11/DEC VAX-11 780/DEC VAXstation 8000/Sun SPARCstation 2/Mac from 1984 to 2017

CaJazzman

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 9:55 am

r3dplanet wrote:The new rectangular tabs look like something that the USPS would develop. I have a super hard time seeing which tab is in focus or selected - more of this Windows 10 style of flat everything. Is there some way to make them easily readable again like in FF56 and previous?

I've got changed by editing the userChrome.css file, which I can take now, but, am hoping in sometime, that Colorful Tabs will bring back some great option for the tabs. Until them, I'll be patient. 8-)

Ed1

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 11:23 am

I think adding this is a big improvement in being able to see the active tab title:

Code: Select all
/* ACTIVE TAB BACKGROUND COLOR */

.tab-content[selected="true"] {
  background: rgba(65, 85, 145, 0.4) !important;
  font-weight: bold; !important;
}

Add it to the code Robert J provided above, in its own line just before the }. (Sorry, I don't know how to insert one of those code boxes into forum posts.)

EDIT: Did it for you. :D
Last edited by RobertJ on November 17th, 2017, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Code clarification

BuddhaNature

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 12:17 pm

r3dplanet wrote:Changing style sheets might be okay for me or power users, but I'm not going to do the same for my customers unless it's a quick, two-step process like installing a theme.

I initially had the same difficulty but found that these two themes made things much better:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/dream-of-waves/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/soft-aqua/

Now I find it very easy to tell what tab I'm on. Give it time, I'm sure it will grow on you and your customers.

P.S. Thanks to RobertJ and Ed1 for the code. Stored it off now as I think it overkill for me. After a day of using 57.0 I'm finding the tabs to be really good. (As against my initial, "What in God's name is this!")

carolgot1

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 12:49 pm

Round them out with this:

/* Make Firefox 57+ Like Firefox 56 Tweaks */
/* Borrowed code from https://github.com/wilfredwee/photon-australis */

:root {
--tabs-border: transparent !important;
}

/* tab top border roundness */
#TabsToolbar .tabs-newtab-button,
#TabsToolbar .tabbrowser-tab,
#TabsToolbar .tabbrowser-tab .tab-stack,
#TabsToolbar .tabbrowser-tab .tab-background,
#TabsToolbar .tabbrowser-tab .tab-content {
border-top-left-radius: 15px !important;
border-top-right-radius: 15px !important;
border: none; !important;

/* remove colored line above each tab */
#TabsToolbar .tabbrowser-tab .tab-line {
visibility: hidden;
}

/* remove page actions ... button */
.urlbar-page-action {display: none !important;}

/* top and tab background and font colors */
#toolbar-menubar, #menubar-items, #main-menubar {
background-color: #c7c7c7 !important;
color: #000000 !important;
background-image: none !important;
}

RobertJ

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Locking. The OP's question was answered and this thread has gone from support to "tab look and feel"

FF 57.0.2 - FF 58b10 - Palemoon 27.3.0 - TB 52.5 - Mac OSX 10.13.2
Computers I've used: IBM 7094/UNIVAC 1108/IBM 360/DEC PDP11/DEC VAX-11 780/DEC VAXstation 8000/Sun SPARCstation 2/Mac from 1984 to 2017

Return to Firefox Support