MozillaZine

Scrapbook addon doesn't work

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
heisenberg

Post Posted November 16th, 2017, 1:44 am

I'm really sad.
I have created a massive collection of stuff in the last years and now i can't access to them anymore because of Quantum Firefox.
Is there any chance to recover scrapbook library and functionality?

Someone know email address of the author of scrapbook? I just want to ask him if he have a plan to update scrapbook addon.

Can someone suggest any solution?

Thank you

GHM113

Post Posted November 16th, 2017, 3:11 am

I would do the following: install Firefox ESR, create a new profile for it (that's important!), install Scrapbook, import Scrapbook data using built-in import mechanism, save all pages as .pdf using an addon or 3rd-party program.

What about Scrapbook for Quantum, Web Scrapbook is available: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... scrapbook/
But I know nothing about it.
Sorry for my poor English.

heisenberg

Post Posted November 16th, 2017, 6:47 am

I'm novice.
1) Firefox ESR and Firefox Quantum can cohabit? Can i have on my pc ESR AND Quantum and open independently the one or the other? If it were possible could be a good compromise solution
2) How can i save all pages as .pdf for all the scrapbook pages? which addon do you have in mind?

GHM113

Post Posted November 16th, 2017, 7:50 am

1) Yes, they can. That's basically two different browsers. The only thing you have to do is choose "Custom" option in the installer, make sure ESR is not going to be installed to the same folder as Quantum and uncheck "Launch Firefox after installation is complete". Once installation is complete, create new profile for ESR by launching the profile manager. To do that, modify shortcut for ESR on your desktop by adding -p:
Then select the profile you created and launch it.
2) There are a couple of options here but I am not sure they will work:

1) Download the latest developer build of Opera with built-in "save as .pdf" functionality, locate the scrapbook folder and manually open all .html pages from there in Opera. After that switch to each page and select "Save as .pdf". But there is a problem: I am not sure Opera can save local pages as .pdf.
2) Use another addon for Firefox that can save local pages as .pdf

heisenberg

Post Posted November 16th, 2017, 9:36 am

Thank you very much, maybe you saved my life. I will try the point one as soon as i can.
I don't have understood the point two but if the point one works i will not need him.

GHM113

Post Posted November 16th, 2017, 11:05 am

Point 2) is simple, I basically offered to find some Firefox addon that allows to save pages as .pdf instead of Opera dev.

heisenberg

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 10:36 am

But before to save as .pdf i have to manually open all pages of my scrapbook library?

I have several hundred pages.

GHM113

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Hm, one more possible solution:
1. Install ESR, install ScrapBook, import your Scrapbook data from 57 profile
2. Export Scrapbook data to the specified folder

You'll get all your saved pages in one folder and, what's more important, each folder with exported Scrapbook page should have the title from the Scrapbook database. For example, if you save this thread in Scrapbook and then export it, it will be located in the following file:

Scrapbook_export/Scrapbook addon doesn't work/index.html

The problem of this approach is that all web pages won't be exported as single file.

ianas

Post Posted November 17th, 2017, 9:15 pm

no Firefox-ser and 57 can't cohabit as they would share the profile and said profile is incomparable
what I have done is installed PaleMoon for scrapbook use (and other addons) and 57 for regular use
sadly as Scrapbook stores data on disk and this is disallowed by the new addon api this is the death of Scrapbook under Firefox
the author of ScarapbookX (one of the Scrapbook forks) has done a simple scrapbooking webext addon (which is nothing compared to the original) you can try that in 57+
https://github.com/danny0838/webscrapbook
other alternatives would be Microsoft's OneNote Web Clipper
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-clipper/
Evernote Web Clipper
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-clipper/
or pocket (build-in Firefox)
all of the above store data (private browsing habits) on cloud servers and have no or limited editing capabilities Evernote is payware for data over 60MB
the only possible way arround would be if Mozilla integrated a build in scrapbook in their browser but as Firefox owns Pocket I doubt this would happen

heisenberg

Post Posted November 18th, 2017, 4:20 am

I'm confused: can cohabit or can not cohabit more version of firefox?
Is Palemoon reliable and safe?

ianas

Post Posted November 18th, 2017, 6:34 am

heisenberg wrote:I'm confused: can cohabit or can not cohabit more version of firefox?
Is Palemoon reliable and safe?

Firefox 52 ESR and Firefox 57 Quantum can not coexist with the same profile, the profile format was changed, you could use 2 profiles but that would confuse the hell out of both browsers as they check for a profile location in the sane place
PaleMoon was Forked from Firefox a long time ago it kept the old Firefox UI while updating the core rendering engine only
http://www.palemoon.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Moon_(web_browser)
is it safe who knows I'm currently writing this in PaleMoon and feel safe

heisenberg

Post Posted November 18th, 2017, 7:58 am

Palemoon has not problem of coexistation with firefox at all?
When i will install it have i do something specific?

Thanks

LIMPET235

Post Posted November 18th, 2017, 8:24 am

Hi,
You can install & run as many Firefox versions that you want.
Please ref; this old thread....with images by GbMan.
> viewtopic.php?p=11079425#p11079425

&, > viewtopic.php?p=11075999#p11075999

&, > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-56.0.1-57.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

therube

Post Posted November 18th, 2017, 11:42 am

ianas wrote:can not coexist with the same profile

With the same profile.

And that is just the reason you use separate Profiles for each.
Then then can coexist just fine.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

ianas

Post Posted November 18th, 2017, 2:27 pm

therube wrote:
ianas wrote:can not coexist with the same profile

With the same profile.

And that is just the reason you use separate Profiles for each.
Then then can coexist just fine.

yes but both FF-52 and FF-57 reads the file
Code: Select all
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

to see where the profile is and as there is no distinction between 52 and 57 they will use the same profile but the profile format changed and after starting 57, 52 won't be able to load the profile, you could revert and fix the profile to be 52 compatible but after 57's next launch the profile will be changed again
you could use profile manager at every startup to select a different profile for 52 and 57 but this will have to be done at every Firefox launch
another option would be to use a portable build of Firefox
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
but PaleMoon does not suffer from these issues and can not only coexist with Firefox you can have both browsers running at the same time something impossible for 52 and 57

Return to Firefox Support