MozillaZine

Firefox has stopped remembering?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
bbbl67

Post Posted May 22nd, 2018, 12:39 am

dfoulkes wrote:
Brummelchen wrote:he is using the lates v52 esr - not the latest (final) firefox which is v60. any other (not esr) before quantum is no go concerning security, stability. you better drop this idea.

As of now Mozilla is keeping ESR up to par with respect to security and this is the most stable version of Firefox I've ever used...and all of my fav. extensions work fine. I also have the latest portable Quantum in here in order to test extensions that hopefully meet my requirements and I'll continue to use ESR until I can use Quantum as I require... no sense in using a browser that causes a user pain when using it...if that were the case then I'd use Chrome or IE... know what I mean? I have a friend who just let Firefox auto-update and before Quantum came into play he was very happy in the way that I had set up his profile... now he hates Firefox! ... It's bad when a product creates an environment where long time users now jump ship because of (Mozilla in this case) a company trashes its product with an update that kills off long time users. I don't know if the huge reduction in users posting here in Mozilla-zine is due to Quantum or if they moved over to the 'official' Mozilla forum..but that reductions seems to have happened shortly after Quantum came into play. Search this forum on how to install multi-versions of Firefox in the same system.

bbbl67
You can get ESR from Mozilla from here....
Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.8.0esr/

...Or the portable version from here.
PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable, and cloud drives

Well said, I've been hating the new Firefox now for several months, just like you said, and this current problem was about to push me out towards Chrome. There were all kinds of little conveniences that I depended on in the old FF, that simply have no equivalents in the new FF. From what I hear, some of the lack of features will never be reimplemented in Quantum, so it's not just a lack of time to finish the build, it's that the build cannot possibly do what the old one used to do ever! Maybe they should fork FF and keep the two streams separate?

dfoulkes

Post Posted May 22nd, 2018, 7:55 am

Maybe they should fork FF and keep the two streams separate?

I very much doubt that they would consider that... it's tough to keep one product up to date... and with all the other Mozilla products I'm sure that they are looking forward to only having to deal with one version. I know a number of high-end Mozilla product users around here use SeaMonkey and not Firefox. I have SeaMonkey installed into my portable app. but have not taken a close look at it...and I don't know if it's on any chopping block in the future.

When I feel that ESR is too far in the past I'll have to bite the bullet and move to Quantum ...and I hope that in the near future I'll be somewhat back (with Quantum) to what I enjoy today.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!

LIMPET235

Post Posted May 22nd, 2018, 8:46 am

Hi df,
I've been experimenting with the Basilisk browser for a while & it looks O.K., so far.
You might want to take a gander at it, even though it's dev'd by the Palemoon folk.
Check the link for the Features.
> https://www.basilisk-browser.org/

Plus...
Probably the most interesting aspect for Firefox users right now is that Basilisk supports legacy Firefox add-ons and NPAPI plugins whereas the next Firefox ESR version and current Firefox Stable builds don't.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-57.0-61.0-62.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

bbbl67

Post Posted May 23rd, 2018, 12:33 pm

dfoulkes wrote:
Maybe they should fork FF and keep the two streams separate?

I very much doubt that they would consider that... it's tough to keep one product up to date... and with all the other Mozilla products I'm sure that they are looking forward to only having to deal with one version. I know a number of high-end Mozilla product users around here use SeaMonkey and not Firefox. I have SeaMonkey installed into my portable app. but have not taken a close look at it...and I don't know if it's on any chopping block in the future.

When I feel that ESR is too far in the past I'll have to bite the bullet and move to Quantum ...and I hope that in the near future I'll be somewhat back (with Quantum) to what I enjoy today.

Well, I tried the 52 ESR a couple of days back. Looks like it's now too late for me to go back to the older version. A lot of add-ons have already been updated, and those don't work on the older FF anymore. Catch-22. So I had to go back to 60. And now, it's imperative that I find a fix for this problem, as the problem still exists!

dfoulkes

Post Posted May 23rd, 2018, 2:42 pm

Weird... all of my over 30 extensions work fine in this version of ESR... except Stylish and when I updated it and saw that even though it was supposed to work in here I uninstalled it and installed the prior version... not sure what more to tell you.

bbbl67

Post Posted May 23rd, 2018, 3:43 pm

dfoulkes wrote:Weird... all of my over 30 extensions work fine in this version of ESR... except Stylish and when I updated it and saw that even though it was supposed to work in here I uninstalled it and installed the prior version... not sure what more to tell you.

Well, I guess I've had somewhat more specialized extensions that used the features of each version of FF more.

Some additional info about this problem. I'm finding that not only are history drop-down lists not dropping down, but I'm also finding that certain Facebook popups within a page are not working, such as Facebook Messenger.

dfoulkes

Post Posted May 24th, 2018, 7:47 am

Did you try a new profile... it was suggested before.... and if that new profile works then moving some stuff over to the new one from the old one will have to take place.

bbbl67

Post Posted May 24th, 2018, 9:24 am

I've downloaded and switched back to a version just prior to the current version, 59.0.3, and I've stopped all automatic updates. The FF is acting normally again.

I think this is a genuine bug in FF 60.0.1, how can I report this to the developers?

bbbl67

Post Posted May 24th, 2018, 10:07 am

dfoulkes wrote:Did you try a new profile... it was suggested before.... and if that new profile works then moving some stuff over to the new one from the old one will have to take place.

I do have a laptop which is synchronized with my desktop (where this problem is occurring), and it seems to be working fine. However, I think perhaps its best to get to the bottom of this, what could possibly have gone wrong in 60.0.1, that something that was working fine up until 59.0.3 just stops working now for no reason?

dfoulkes

Post Posted May 25th, 2018, 9:07 am

Hard to say... I'll assume that the FX version on your laptop is the latest version? ...

You might try backing up your profile on your problem Firefox, then download a fresh copy of the latest version, close Firefox and then install that new downloaded copy onto your problem one... that's about all that I have... since I don't use the 60.x stuff.

bbbl67

Post Posted May 25th, 2018, 9:28 am

dfoulkes wrote:Hard to say... I'll assume that the FX version on your laptop is the latest version? ...

You might try backing up your profile on your problem Firefox, then download a fresh copy of the latest version, close Firefox and then install that new downloaded copy onto your problem one... that's about all that I have... since I don't use the 60.x stuff.

Any idea how to report problems to the developers? Right now, I'm stuck at 59.x until this can be fixed.

mightyglydd

Post Posted May 25th, 2018, 9:44 am

Jeez..How many times do you have to be told to TRY A NEW TEST PROFILE (with nothing added) ? ](*,)
@Until you do you might as well report your 'problems' to Dr Phil..
#KeepFightingMichael

Return to Firefox Support