MozillaZine

Windows 10 Auto start Thunderbird

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
dcol

Post Posted October 1st, 2017, 12:03 pm

No matter what I do I cannot auto start Thunderbird with Windows 10. I tried every known start location, Start Folder, registry, Task Scheduler, Startup Delayer, Autorun Organizer, even wrote a batch file to start Thunderbird and use that instead of the actual executable. I can manually run Thunderbird without any issues.

Why won't Thunderbird auto start?

Using Windows 10.15063.632 Pro x64 on a Dell Optiplex 7050

jamo2

Post Posted October 8th, 2017, 4:27 pm

It is not a good Idea to start TB in the Autostart of Windows

A better way to start TB automatically is to create a CMD Job like this:

Start "Thunderbird" "c:\?????????\thunderbird.exe"
timeout 10

Give a name to this file and put it in the autostart folder... (name by example compmgr.cmd)

With this kind of batch job you can also start other programs.

DanRaisch

Post Posted October 8th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Moving to MozillaZine Tech as this is not really a Thunderbird bug issue.

wsmwk

Post Posted October 9th, 2017, 1:52 pm

jamo2 wrote:It is not a good Idea to start TB in the Autostart of Windows

A better way to start TB automatically is to create a CMD Job like this:

Start "Thunderbird" "c:\?????????\thunderbird.exe"
timeout 10

Give a name to this file and put it in the autostart folder... (name by example compmgr.cmd)

With this kind of batch job you can also start other programs.

I quite agree, a delay for Thunderbird is a good idea, because thunderbird (and startup in particular) is IO intensive and sensitive. I'd make it even longer - 30-60 seconds delay.

However, I don't know of any reason why TB startup would have failed in this case.

jamo2

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 4:18 pm

@wsmwk "However, I don't know of any reason why TB startup would have failed in this case." perhaps an other Startup programm create a conflict ...

We use now very often a cmd Job in the autostart to start some programms after the Windows start .. then we can kill the job before he start the first program and we can ask for each program ... start XXX y/n and select with this the start of all these programms. It is also possible to ask start all or start only selected.

On Notebooks we have some settings in a veracrypt Container (by example access informations to our domains) ... we use this cmd file also to open the container. (the cmd ask for the password opens the container with the settings). When the container is mounted, the cmd job opens also some programs like the autostart but after that the ordinary autostart is done.

Omega X

Post Posted November 29th, 2017, 10:18 pm

A delayed autostart in Task Scheduler should have been more than enough to run TB at login.
Latest: Firefox/57.0.2 *ESR/52.5 - Mobile/57.0.1 - Thunderbird/52.5 - SeaMonkey/2.49.1
Nightly: Nightly/59.0a1 - Mobile/59.0a1 - Daily/59.0a1 - SeaMonkey/2.55a1

Return to MozillaZine Tech