MozillaZine

I like K-Meleon

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
nosebleed

Post Posted August 1st, 2003, 8:08 pm

Looks like there is finally some K-Meleon news. Hopefully 0.8 is right around the corner.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/start/

Lost User 2526

Post Posted August 1st, 2003, 10:10 pm

nosebleed wrote:
amutch wrote:Beta 0.7.5

Where?

check the developer's list.

HungSquirrel

Post Posted September 25th, 2003, 11:06 pm

I agree that it is incredibly fast and uses very few resources. However, it just doesn't have the features I've grown to love in Firebird.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040823 Firefox/0.9.1+ (lokean SVG-enabled)
Yoper Linux 2.1.0
Linux 2.6.8.1
KDE 3.3

Lost User 8002

Post Posted September 26th, 2003, 8:35 am

HungSquirrel wrote:I agree that it is incredibly fast and uses very few resources. However, it just doesn't have the features I've grown to love in Firebird.

I agree with you completely!

Eyes-Only

Post Posted September 28th, 2003, 9:51 am

While I agree that it lacks a lot of the features that Mozilla Firebird has, it IS extremely fast in the retrieval of webpages and is likewise standards (W3C) compliant. So if you need something quick and in a hurry, having that little K-Meleon icon on the Quick Launch sometimes isn't such a bad idea after all. ;)

Oh, and for the record: Just like Mozilla Firebird, a lot of the features can be configured and set just by typing "about:config" in the URL address field. No easy-to-use GUI to set them as they're set by default---but very easily changed in there.

Well, just my 2½¢ worth anyway. User mileage may vary. ;)

Oh! And DeltaGuy? I love the new avatar! I hope you don't mind but I copied it and may someday find use for it on my Network's website. That actually looked like a caricature of my youngest daughter! LOL!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+

Lost User 8002

Post Posted September 29th, 2003, 12:52 pm

This is the site I got the avatar from:
http://www.stdimension.de/MediaLib/fanart/karene.htm
They're made my Karen Christie...

alanjstr

Post Posted September 29th, 2003, 1:22 pm

Nosebleed wrote:Looks like there is finally some K-Meleon news. Hopefully 0.8 is right around the corner.

The news is dated July 30. How is that News? And it merely said pre-beta testing 0.8. Err, wouldn't that be alpha testing? Is the next one going to be based on Mozilla 1.2a again?
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files

TransitMan

Post Posted September 29th, 2003, 8:07 pm

alanjstr wrote:
Nosebleed wrote:Looks like there is finally some K-Meleon news. Hopefully 0.8 is right around the corner.

The news is dated July 30. How is that News? And it merely said pre-beta testing 0.8. Err, wouldn't that be alpha testing? Is the next one going to be based on Mozilla 1.2a again?

This is the current version I have working on my system, Version 0.7.5 Build 812 Compiled Wed Sep 3 15:42:34 2003.
I believe it is based on Mozilla 1.4. The next version of K-Meleon will be based either on Mozilla/Gecko 1.4.1 or 1.5.
I've been trying to stay up with this.
There is a build based on Mozilla 1.5beta located http://gratisdei.com/KM.htm
I have used it successfully, but wanted to try this beta build to see how it stacks up against the above. So far, I like this version a bit better, and some of my fine tuning I did on the 1.5beta build is incorporated into this build. However, YMMV.

boogomatic

Post Posted September 29th, 2003, 9:03 pm

I too am using version 0.7.5 or 0.8b depending on where you look.(see signature below)
Also note in the signature the machine that I am using. There aren't many modern browsers that would run on a dinasour like this one, and be so standard compliant. (thanks to gecko)
The ability to customize everything from menus to skins and macros, makes this browser one that I will be using for quite some time.
YMMV? hmm... don't know that one, let's see.. select that text..right-click>Selected Text>Define Selected Text. Oh! now I see what it means after K-Meleon looked it up for me on dictionary.com

I Like K-Meleon
Don't get me wrong I like Mozilla too, but it chokes this computer.
-Trenton

Eyes-Only

Post Posted September 30th, 2003, 12:43 pm

Yeah, I had that monkeesage build on for quite some time as well and really liked it too. However, the one---and only one---problem that I had was that it didn't handle java well. It would crash alot when encountering a java page. I thought maybe it was the version of java so I upgraded from 1.4.0_1 to 1.4.2 since monkeesage said on their forums it used that---but still no luck.

I recently got an update from /Ulf from the Sourceforge listserv on the very latest beta with some fixes from Jeff... and that's worked great!

So they're getting very close to that 0.8 me thinks!

Edit: And from what I know it IS based on the 1.4 Mozilla codebase. I meant to say that but forgot.

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+

nosebleed

Post Posted September 30th, 2003, 6:18 pm

alanjstr wrote:

Um, Alan. I made that post on August 1st.
Sean

Return to Other Applications and Distributions