MozillaZine

Can I use Mozilla or Phoenix builds to update Netscape 7?

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
rsnidjik

Post Posted December 11th, 2002, 4:01 pm

Can I use Mozilla or Phoenix builds to update Netscape 7? I rather like NS, especially 7.01, but I'd like the engine (?) to reflect the changes that the Mozilla and Phoenix developers are making.

Thanks.

-R. Snidjik

Hendikins

Post Posted December 12th, 2002, 6:40 am

Nope

bdeonline

Post Posted December 12th, 2002, 9:43 am

No I tried it before and it killed netscape all together, I think it is because of the changes Netscape does to there build of Mozilla to intergrate AIM, Netscape Mail and now there ad blocking.

fondacio

Post Posted December 13th, 2002, 3:11 pm

bdeonline wrote:No I tried it before and it killed netscape all together, I think it is because of the changes Netscape does to there build of Mozilla to intergrate AIM, Netscape Mail and now there ad blocking.

I would also expect major problems when I would copy Mozilla 1.2.1 files to a 1.0.x directory, or maybe even 1.0.2 to 1.0.1. It requires some expertise to know which file can be updated without any problem and which files can't. You can also kill a Windows installation just by updating some system files without knowing exactly what you're doing. And I think any Linux user can tell you about package dependency nightmares. Of course Mozilla and Netscape are no operating systems, but they are complicated enough.

<A HREF="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116722#c3">Bug 116722 comment #3</A> provides some more reasons. This quote says it all:

The way we build things and given the fragile interfaces between components people will always have to download all the files which have changed, and the way we develop things (fragile interfaces) most files change fairly often.

aleejooo

Post Posted January 8th, 2003, 3:54 pm

fondacio wrote:
bdeonline wrote:No I tried it before and it killed netscape all together, I think it is because of the changes Netscape does to there build of Mozilla to intergrate AIM, Netscape Mail and now there ad blocking.

I would also expect major problems when I would copy Mozilla 1.2.1 files to a 1.0.x directory, or maybe even 1.0.2 to 1.0.1. It requires some expertise to know which file can be updated without any problem and which files can't. You can also kill a Windows installation just by updating some system files without knowing exactly what you're doing. And I think any Linux user can tell you about package dependency nightmares. Of course Mozilla and Netscape are no operating systems, but they are complicated enough.

<A HREF="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=116722#c3">Bug 116722 comment #3</A> provides some more reasons. This quote says it all:

The way we build things and given the fragile interfaces between components people will always have to download all the files which have changed, and the way we develop things (fragile interfaces) most files change fairly often.

So, the best is not to mess with those, if you want the computer to work the way is supposed to.
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.
- A wise bathroom wall.

Return to Other Applications and Distributions