MozillaZine

Composer with PHP support Comming...

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
bdeonline

Post Posted September 8th, 2003, 2:52 pm

From <a href="http://daniel.glazman.free.fr/weblog/">Daniel Glazman's</a> blog:
"This is BY FAR request number 1 from all Composer users: add support for <?PHP ... ?> instructions to Composer. Well, I think I have a patch for this. I need to test it a bit more. Stay tuned...."

jeanjean

Post Posted September 25th, 2003, 6:16 am

does this mean i could write php code and then the view pane would show me php code interpreted by the server?

DizzyWeb

Post Posted September 26th, 2003, 12:27 am

I'd seriously doubt that. I've never used/seen Composer in action, but I suppose the view pane is a preview, not the actual view. I'd hat having a composer that would force me to upload changes to the server just to see a preview. I'll upload stuff when it's done.
Viewing the code interpreted by the server would need it to be uploaded: I seriously doubt composer will include a webserver & PHP. Besides that, think about all the PHP scripts that connect to a local mysql server, how would that work!?
Seriously, that would be impossible, unless you're working with development servers / production servers.
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.

glazman

Post Posted September 26th, 2003, 4:13 am

jeanjean wrote:does this mean i could write php code and then the view pane would show me php code interpreted by the server?

Of course not.

jeanjean

Post Posted September 26th, 2003, 5:47 am

hum.. sorry if that looked dumb. but i always have to check changes i made to my code so that i can check if changes are effective.

i develop locally so i don't upload stuff to a server before the whole project is finished (still being a student so i'm not really into teamworking stuff w/ members located all around the state yet). saving the file locally takes much less time than uploading it to a server and wait for results being processed and displayed i totally agree w/ you.

i don't mean real-time preview btw.. just a refresh on the adress i'd put in the preview pane would do the trick (yeah i know.. i could have another browser opened at the same time - what i do right now - but i'm always looking for a less messy desktop and i don't like having a lot of windows opened)

i don't mean at all a built-in webserver : )

maybe an option to add to the preview pane the adress of my local server + name of the current edited file would do the trick as the preview pane could render the whole php page?

i've seen topstyle doing this and that is a feature i'd like to see in composer

bdeonline

Post Posted September 26th, 2003, 11:36 am

I figured the preview shold be for previewing the page but it seems that preview only previews html from the code. That really is irritating because to see what I have done I have to have both a composer window and a browser window just to see the changes. Why not put like a site feature like dreamweaver does (I know this isn't anything even compaired to other Web Editors). Where you could set up a site and give it a url to use so when you make changes the preview can add that url with the page.htm or page.php and display all of the changes.

djnr

Post Posted October 2nd, 2003, 9:55 pm

Conceptually I think it would actually not be that hard to pull off, at leat to make it an option for people who know what they're doing (which they should if they're using PHP).

Assuming that people get their own PHP web server running, you would simply need an option where you:

1) Check a checkbox if you want to preview this page using a local web server
2) A field where you specify the URL of your local server (ie. http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1 or http://192.168.0.3:88)
3) a field where you specify what local directory that URL is equivalent to (ie C:\HTMLdocs)

All the preview pan has to do is request the file from the local server rather than its own local memory - it just becomes a bit more of a browser window, and you'd have to disallow editing in the preview pane. Hmm - maybe that would be awkward.

Return to Other Applications and Distributions