MozillaZine

K-Melon, Mozilla, or Phoenix???

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
BroadArrow

Post Posted December 9th, 2002, 2:40 pm

So many browsers and only one computer! Which one should I use? Is there a summary anywhere of the pros and cons of each?

old Neil Parks

Post Posted December 9th, 2002, 2:44 pm

Try them all to see which one you like best. That's the only way to determine which is the right one for you.

Stefan

Post Posted December 9th, 2002, 6:07 pm

BroadArrow wrote:So many browsers and only one computer!

If you have the HD space, all 3are perfectly capable of coexsisting with each other (I have all 3 eg).

Is there a summary anywhere of the pros and cons of each?

No, not really.
A quick sumarization could be

Fastest to slowest: K-Mel -> Phoenix -> Moz
This is especially noticable on a low end system (and possiblly not at all on a high end system).

Pnx and Moz uses XUL with all it's advantages and disadvanatges while K-mel uses it's own Win native GUI.
In general, there is nothing you can't modify in a XUL browser, but in Mozilla you need to hack into the textfiles themself to change things.

Phoenix allows for a lot of customatization from within the browser itself, which is quite nice.

K-Meleon, while not having the compleate freedom of XUL, is still very customizable and also have some powerful customatization features built directly into the UI (eg, you can add and remove contextmenus directly in the running browser, which is very nifty indeed).

A large benefit for K-Mel vs especially Pnx is that while Pnx is quite new and undergo much changes, K-Mel is a relatily old project with a high degree of maturity.
If you don't mind using beta software this won't matter much, but if you just want a reliable browser which only "needs" upgrading every 6months or so, K-Mel is probably a better choise.

nicubunu

Post Posted December 10th, 2002, 7:42 am

K-Meleon is very new (in this actual form) and not widely tested
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>

Stefan

Post Posted December 10th, 2002, 10:34 pm

nicubunu wrote:K-Meleon is very new (in this actual form) and not widely tested

Well I'm a bit qurious what other browser you compair it to when you make a statement like that. Eg compaierd to phoenix

* K-Mel has been around for over 2 years now, while Phoenix is only 3(?) months old.
* K-Mel latest release (0.7) had several months of beta testing before it was released, while latest Phoenix (0.5) got like 12 hours "please report large problems ASAP" in a forum thread.
* K-Mel uses a realtivly stable 1.2b Gecko, while Phoenix uses a relativly risky/unstable latest trunk/nighty.

MozSaysAloha

Post Posted December 25th, 2002, 9:04 pm

let's put it this way:

K-Meleon: No XUL; stable; fast
Phoenix: some XUL; built on unstable trunk; fast
Mozilla: A ton of XUL; stabilty varies; bloated
Last edited by MozSaysAloha on January 29th, 2003, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicubunu

Post Posted December 27th, 2002, 12:02 am

MozSaysAloha wrote:Phoenix: A ton of XUL; stabilty varies; bloated

I think you intended to say Mozilla here :)
About the bloat: opinions may differ ...
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>

Arctic Dragon

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 12:41 am

I currently have all three installed.
My personal favourite is Phoenix, however. To me, it has the right blend of performance, features and customizability.

I am finding myself using K-Meleon 0.7 more and more, though. It's a nice little browser.

MozSaysAloha

Post Posted January 29th, 2003, 9:14 pm

nicubunu wrote:
MozSaysAloha wrote:Phoenix: A ton of XUL; stabilty varies; bloated

I think you intended to say Mozilla here :)
About the bloat: opinions may differ ...

Thanks for noting that. It's been corrected.
"Blessed is the man who has suffered and found life." - Gospel of Thomas, Saying 58

mick_dundee

Post Posted February 23rd, 2003, 11:03 pm

In my opinion, Mozilla reigns supreme over all the Mozila based browsers I've used (Galeon, Phoenix, Netscape, K-Meleon). I have all of them installed on my PC (except Galeon, which is Linux only, and Linux isn't on my PC at the moment), and I think K-Meleon is great, except very, very different... example: New layer, Delete layer rather than new tab, close tab...). It also has a different appearence which I'm not sure if I like it that much or not.

Otherwise, use Mozilla for all its features, Phoenix for its small size and coolness; and finally K-Meleon for its... well whenever you don't feel like using Mozilla or Phoenix.
Oh noes! I now have an Interweb diary!!!

aab

Post Posted February 24th, 2003, 4:21 am

You can easily change/customize layers menu, you can rename, add, move menu items around quite freely. K-Meleon has it's own set of problems but it is currently easiest to customize of all Gecko family. Unless you're ready to dig around jars and chrome, in that case nothing beats Mozilla indeed.

I hope that once KM customizing system improves we can start having readymade sets of menus/skins/prefs with different defaults.

bellgamin

Post Posted February 26th, 2003, 12:49 am

Does K-meleon have the memory leakage problems that are currently afflicting both Phoenix & Mozilla?

Also, I GOTTA have tabs. I have read that K-meleon's *layers* are just as good as tabs. True or false?

Also, is K-meleon wired for layers exactly as it downloads, or do I have to do something geeky to get layers to start functioning? [Be aware -- I cannot walk & chew gum at the same time.]

moo goo gai pan........bellgamin

amutch

Post Posted February 26th, 2003, 12:14 pm

Layers can be automatically "activated" as part of the install process. As far as use, I would post here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/

and let the end-users give your their 2 cents.

bellgamin

Post Posted February 26th, 2003, 1:28 pm

5Q + 5Q = 10Q very much!

willll

Post Posted March 9th, 2003, 4:01 pm

i'm running k-meleon right now, because my phoenix hightly won't start and i don't want to break my streak of never regressing to a previous phoenix nightly. my main problem with it is the lack of a close button for tabs (or layers i guess). i find it to be too much work to right-click and move my mouse then move my mouse again. memory usage is great compared to phoenix or mozilla and is about the same as opera. also sometimes, pages will load extremely slowly for no reason that i can figure out. i don't think its my internet connection as its been working fine in mozilla.

Return to Other Applications and Distributions