MozillaZine

Give K-Meleon a little attention!

Composer, ChatZilla and other Mozilla applications, along with Netscape, Galeon, K-Meleon and other products.
rsnidjik

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 4:00 am

While I'm a fairly faithful MozFB user, I also like to run K-Meleon sometimes. On my Windows machine it actually performs a little better than MFB.

I'm worried, though, that K-Meleon is getting left behind. I know that development is continuing, but I wonder if there's enough of a user base. Perhaps a few of you browser junkies could support it by adopting it as your second-favorite browser and, especially, by participating in forum discussions at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/.

While K-M runs only on Windows, it is extremely configurable, loads very quickly (instantly with the Loader, which is much more stable than MFB's turbo switch), and is generally a pretty snappy browser.

Colin Ramsay

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 4:27 am

It is very fast, the sort of speed Firebird should be aiming for. It's more of a power user's browser though, I prefer FB after testing both.

Beelzebot

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 4:42 am

I like K-Meleon's speed, but its development is so slow and it lacks a lot of features that I like about Firebird.

Lost User 8002

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 4:54 am

Shouldn't this be in the "Miscellaneous Distributions" forum? :-k

chrisgeleven

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 5:03 am

Yes it should be in the other forum. Kmeleon isn't an official Mozilla project, as far as I know very few (if any) Mozilla developers actually work on Kmeleon.

sramov

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 6:14 am

i tried, but i don't like it that much. however, it's speed is quite good.

rsnidjik

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 6:16 am

MFamily-GO wrote:Shouldn't this be in the "Miscellaneous Distributions" forum? :-k

Sorry. I suppose you're right. Do we need a moderator to move this thread?

rakhesh

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 7:05 am

I was a K-Meleon user, before I stumbled upon Firebird. I still use it once in a while, and was keeping it as my second favourite browser, until I began using Opera. I like it a lot, but it doesn't have a lot of the features offered by the other two browsers. Plus, not much seems to be happening on the development side. Its still my third favourite though. :mrgreen:

-- Rakhesh

Colin Ramsay

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 7:36 am

This thread has relevance here for comparison purposes.

IMO :)

minor_threat'

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 8:13 am

I'm waiting for 0.8 before I go back to k-meleon, it's lacking a lot of features in its present form (I don't have the concentration levels to learn how to do macros yet) and it doesn't seem to handle images as well (or at least that's my experiance), so despite the sluggishness and lack of configureability (sp? If it's even a word? o_O) firebird is easily my favourite browser at the moment.

goodben

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 3:01 pm

To be honest, there's really no reason to have K-Meleon as a "second favorite" browser to Firebird. The reason being that it renders stuff pretty much the same. They both use Gecko, although the K-Meleon version is older. (I think it may be on the 1.0 branch, but I'm not sure. If it is, I'm sure they'll switch to the 1.4 branch before the next release.) The main reason I keep other browsers around is so that I can try another, when the first doesn't work.

There is a reason to use K-Meleon as your primary browser though. It will always be faster than Firebird because it use the native Windows interface instead of XUL.

Personally, I like the look, feel, and extendability of Firebird better and those things are more important to me, so I use Firebird.

Your mileage may vary.

Hendikins

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 3:25 pm

I'm going to second the motion that it goes over to Miscellaneous Distributions...

Lost User 2526

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 5:01 pm

km 0.7 uses the gecko 1.2b engine.

SuperMichael

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 8:54 pm

I've tried K-Meleon 0.7 SP1 a while ago because it seemed intresting, unfortunately i couldn't get it to run since it immediately crashed :cry: , so i've removed it again.

SuperMichael

Post Posted July 22nd, 2003, 9:10 pm

I just redownloaded it and tryed it again and the furthest i get is the profile manager and then it dies :cry:

Return to Other Applications and Distributions