MozillaZine

Need help w/ Netscape 7.2 Mail Alert

Closed Forum
BretMan

Post Posted April 22nd, 2007, 10:55 am

Yesterday morning I booted my system up out of sleep mode w/ no problems, checked my email by downloading a couple and sending a couple replies. Then out of the blue I get this Alert:"An error occurred with the POP3 mail server. Mail server mail.bellsouth.net responded:" I got it once for each of my 5 email addresses. I searched your threads for this alert and it didn't come up specifically.

I checked my email preferences settings with my records and they seem ok. I also logged on the the email server via FF and that looks ok with a couple expected messages waiting for me to open.

It's probably some common minor glitch that you guys may know about but I thought to ask before I make things worse - I'm not an expert user. Maybe a re-install is in order? If so, or any other idea, what's the best way to resolve this issue?

Many thanks,
Bret

BretMan

Post Posted April 22nd, 2007, 11:02 am

I forgot to mention the obvious, for clarification, that since when I got this alert, I can't access my email from the ISP, not does it ask for my usual passwords to access my mailboxes.
Bret

MS Win. 7 Ultimate

couldabeen

Post Posted April 22nd, 2007, 3:56 pm

Ask here http://www.ufaq.org/
It is the Netscape forum for Netscape questions.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970

BretMan

Post Posted April 22nd, 2007, 6:12 pm

That's Couldabeen.

I did post the question there and am still waiting. I got this idea, which is that I happened to have backed up my C drive the day before, when it was working ok. If you know which is the likely problem folder/file maybe I can replace it with the uncorrupted backed up one. If that's the case, which would it be?
Bret

MS Win. 7 Ultimate

couldabeen

Post Posted April 23rd, 2007, 4:36 pm

Have you contacted bellsouth to see if they are having a problem with POP?

Response from the UFAQ is here.
http://www.ufaq.org/modules.php?name=Fo ... 6869#24899

BretMan

Post Posted April 23rd, 2007, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the link. I saw the reply there and responded in detail. Basically, I did check w/ the ISP and long story short, it's the firewall. With the firewall Off I can only access my emails. With it On, I can only send emails. The tech confirmed bellsouth's email server had gone down a few times over the weekend and somehow that may had affected the firewall or maybe I suddenly got a bad firewall update. I researched my Norton firewall and I couldn't find any specific email settings to change. So I'm at the point of trying to uninstall and re-install it. I've been at this ALL day.

Any suggestions before I try that?

Bret
Bret

MS Win. 7 Ultimate

malliz
Folder@Home

Post Posted April 24th, 2007, 6:43 am

What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"

BretMan

Post Posted April 24th, 2007, 10:50 am

Thanks Malliz. That link's suggestions worked!!! I tried the first suggestion which was supported by the forum comment. Initially the result was that I could again collect my emails as normal, with it asking for my passwords and w/o the Alert. But I could still not send messages, which an alert stating an SMTP problem. So I tried a reboot and that solved that problem.

Thanks to all who helped! I'm back in action. I'll tell those at UFAQ as well.

Bret
Bret

MS Win. 7 Ultimate

Return to Miscellaneous Support