MozillaZine

"mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new"

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
d5p3z

Post Posted April 20th, 2003, 2:43 am

Hi,

Have just moved from Moz.Mail to Thunderbird and have tried to include into my prefs.js the setting "user_pref("mail.check_all_imap_folders_for_new", true);" to check all my IMAP Folders for New Mail. This doesn't seem to work under Thunderbird release build 2003-04-16-win32, can anyone tell me where I am going wrong ??.

D. :)

Joel Baxter

Post Posted May 20th, 2003, 11:44 am

I have this in my prefs file, and I'm using Thunderbird 0.6, the May 15th build.

In my case, Thunderbird <i>does</i> check all folders when you press the "Get Mail" button. However, it does <i>not</i> check all folders on startup, only Inbox. It would be nice if that were fixed. (It would also be nice, for other people, to have this preference exposed in a dialog rather than only available through manual prefs file editing.)

I haven't tested yet to see if the periodic automatic check-for-new-mail functionality checks all the folders or only Inbox.

Joel Baxter

Post Posted May 20th, 2003, 12:03 pm

OK, it looks like the periodic mail check will look at all the folders, both on Mozilla and on Thunderbird.

So it's only the check-on-startup that is lacking, on Thunderbird.

Joel Baxter

Post Posted May 20th, 2003, 12:13 pm

One more thing. I should make clear that I'm using the Windows version, under XP..

Joel Baxter

Post Posted May 25th, 2003, 12:40 am

Now that I've been using this for a while, I've noticed another quirk in the IMAP folder updating and the automated periodic check-for-new-mail. I'll often get the new mail "bing-bong" sound, and the little popup in the lower right corner of the screen that says I have new mail, but there won't actually be any new mail.

It appears to be a case of "the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing"... the code driving the sound & popup is not aware of folder moves. Usually what has happened is this:

- I delete some message from the Inbox.
- Thunderbird automatically moves that message to the Trash. In the lefthand pane that shows the message counts, the counts for Inbox and Trash are updated accordingly.
- Time passes... then the automated mail check happens, and it says I have new mail, but I actually don't. Apparently it is confused because of the changed message count of Trash and/or Inbox since last it checked.

If I actually _have_ received new mail during this time, then it is discovered by the automated check correctly, but the popup declares an incorrect new mail count -- for example, if I received 1 new message, and deleted 1 message, then the popup will say that I have 2 new messages.

This bug is also triggered if I explicitly move mail between folders (i.e. it doesn't just happen on delete-and-move-to-Trash).

In slightly related news, when I send a mail (and a copy gets saved in the Sent folder), the message count for the Sent folder does not get updated until I explicitly check that folder or Get Mail. That issue doesn't really annoy me though.

aldegrah

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 3:47 pm

interestingly enough, ive had that happen with mozilla 1.3, but i havent had it happen in thunderbird yet, oh well, i guess im lucky so far.

DizzyWeb

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 4:04 pm

Well, I just got notified that I had 16 new messages on the server. There was 1.

And it was junk.....................
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.

Return to Thunderbird Bugs