MozillaZine

Keyboard Next key lost functionality

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
Sailfish

Post Posted June 15th, 2003, 1:18 pm

In one of the recent builds, Thunderbird dropped the ability of the keyboard Next key "N" to advance to the next thread with unread messages. This makes using the mailnews client more difficult since now one must move their hands from the keyboard and maneuver the mouse to the next thread.

Is this a bug or was there some other reason for deprecating this feature?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030611 Thunderbird/0.1a

GordMcFee

Post Posted June 15th, 2003, 2:18 pm

I'm almost certain it is a bug. There seems to be a couple of examples of lost chrome capability the last few builds, e.g., the absence of the totals and unread in the groups pane.
Gord McFee

elyograg

Post Posted June 19th, 2003, 10:17 am

The 20030616 build also has this problem. The key will work within the folder, but won't jump folders.

The space bar works similar to the N key, except that it scrolls through the current message befor jumping to the next unread message. This key is broken in the same way as the N key.

mscott

Post Posted June 19th, 2003, 10:31 am

Sailfish wrote:In one of the recent builds, Thunderbird dropped the ability of the keyboard Next key "N" to advance to the next thread with unread messages. This makes using the mailnews client more difficult since now one must move their hands from the keyboard and maneuver the mouse to the next thread.

Is this a bug or was there some other reason for deprecating this feature?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5a) Gecko/20030611 Thunderbird/0.1a

The key for going to the next thread with unread messages is T not N. I believe it has always been T.

N takes you to the next unread message.

Using the latest windows build, if I press N, the next unread message in the folder is correctly loaded.
T also seems to be working as I'm also taken to the next thread that contains a new message.

Am I missing something or is this a bug on linux or Mac only?
Thunderbirds are Go!

elyograg

Post Posted June 20th, 2003, 8:03 am

mscott wrote:The key for going to the next thread with unread messages is T not N. I believe it has always been T.

N takes you to the next unread message.

Using the latest windows build, if I press N, the next unread message in the folder is correctly loaded.
T also seems to be working as I'm also taken to the next thread that contains a new message.

Am I missing something or is this a bug on linux or Mac only?

I don't know about Sailfish, but I have been using the 'next unread message' feature consistently to read mail in about two dozen folders for the last two years, without touching the mouse to change folders. I used this in Netscape Mail before switching to Thunderbird, and it worked in Thunderbird (using both the space bar and the "N" key) until I loaded the June 11th build.

I just tried the "T" key, and it will not jump to the next folder with unread messages. I'm currently using the 20030616 build for Win32.

The previous behavior is very desirable, so to me this is a bug.

Return to Thunderbird Bugs