MozillaZine

06-03-03 Win32 build... display last msg bug

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
Skirge01

Post Posted June 6th, 2003, 9:56 am

The checkbox for displaying the last selected message on startup doesn't seem to be working in this build. It always opens up with the mail account highlighted, so no email is visible at startup.

I did my homework as best I could, so don't shoot me too many times. I found 5 bugs (97093, 100458, 166744, 171223, & 191787) that could be related, but nothing really stuck out as a perfect match.

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97093
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=100458
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=166744
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=171223
http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=191787

If any of the above bugs are related, just let me know.

Thanks!

tve

Post Posted June 6th, 2003, 2:53 pm

never worked for me in any Thunderbird build, but I mentioned it several times, so it's probably a "known bug" :)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>

mscott

Post Posted June 6th, 2003, 2:59 pm

tve wrote:never worked for me in any Thunderbird build, but I mentioned it several times, so it's probably a "known bug" :)

When I first read TVE's report about this issue, I looked into it and fixed it. Using the 6/3 windows build, this checkbox behaves correctly for me.
Thunderbirds are Go!

RAF

Post Posted June 6th, 2003, 3:12 pm

Doesn't work for me either on the June 3 build. Don't know if it ever did.

Skirge01

Post Posted June 7th, 2003, 7:54 am

Okay, since mscott said it works correctly for him, I decided to test this out in every conceivable fashion.

I completely deleted all my profiles using the profile manager.
I deleted the profile directory.
I deleted the Thunderbird program directory.
I re-installed the Win32 version from 20030603.
I set up one of my accounts.
I turned off the -p switch in my shortcut.
I changed it to not display the "start page" for Thunderbird in the message pane.
I unchecked the "Confirm when moving folders to the Trash".
I switched to the 3-pane view (the right radio button) that has the message view on the bottom half and two split windows on top.
I wrote an email, sent it to myself, retrieved mail, read the new mail message, kept it highlighted so the contents were visible, closed out Thunderbird.
I start up Thunderbird and it has my Inbox selected in the top left pane, no message selected in the top right pane, and a blank, white background for the lower--message view--pane.

Some notes:
If I press the down arrow key, the very first (oldest) message is displayed.
If I uncheck "Check for new messages at startup", Check for new messages every x minutes", and "Automatically download new messages", then my account name is highlighted in the left pane and I get the "options pane" on the right that contains the "Email", "Accounts", and "Advanced Features" but no third pane. With this view, once I select my Inbox, the 3-pane view returns and my email messages are listed in the top right pane. However, the lower half that would normally display the contents of a message has not been refreshed and shows what's left of that "options pane" and the lower part of the "folders" pane. Essentially, it just puts up the horizontal resizing bar to split the top two panes from the lower pane, but does nothing with the lower pane.

I've done this about 15 times, changing various options (none of the above ones I initially listed) to see if they were affecting it but the same thing happens each and every time.

I know I'm not crazy. This is definitely happening. If there's anything else I can do to help pinpoint this problem, let me know.

mscott

Post Posted June 7th, 2003, 10:15 am

I didn't read your posting closely enough. I thought you were talking about the preference not being honored. i.e. if you check it, close the options dialog then bring it back up, select last message is not checked.

Select last message is only designed to work when you switch between folders. i.e. Click on a message in your inbox, now go to another folder and click on a message, now go back to your inbox. You should see the message in your inbox get re-selected.

This is a run time feature and is not persisted across sessions. Hence when you restart we don't reselect the message.
Thunderbirds are Go!

RAF

Post Posted June 7th, 2003, 4:25 pm

mscott wrote:I didn't read your posting closely enough. I thought you were talking about the preference not being honored. i.e. if you check it, close the options dialog then bring it back up, select last message is not checked.

Select last message is only designed to work when you switch between folders. i.e. Click on a message in your inbox, now go to another folder and click on a message, now go back to your inbox. You should see the message in your inbox get re-selected.

This is a run time feature and is not persisted across sessions. Hence when you restart we don't reselect the message.

That works for me.

Skirge01

Post Posted June 7th, 2003, 10:11 pm

Looks like I'm just dense. I opened up Mozilla 1.3 again and tested this out. Surprisingly (to me) it reacted the same way Thunderbird did. For some strange reason, I thought that it selected the last message. Must be because I usually have Mozilla open 24/7, so of course the last message is always selected! :-D

Okay, so how do we get this added as a feature then? :-)

Return to Thunderbird Bugs