MozillaZine

Moving Between Computers

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
meloniebrown

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 1:31 pm

I have a flaky Windows 2000 PC [an oxymoron I know] that I am about to reformat and reload. I moved my installation of Thunderbird to another PC and copied my profile over.

When I launched Thunderbird, it prompted me to create a new profile. [It would be nice if Thunderbird let me point to an existing profile.] I created a new profile, shut down Thunderbird and copied the Mail and News folders from my other profile into the new profile.

I launched Thunderbird again and saw my email accounts, but could not view my inbox, news groups, etc. I created a new profile and recreated my mail account and copied the contents of the inbox folder over the contents of that profile. *poof* I was back in business with my email.

When I downloaded messages from the server, I suddenly had twice as many messages as before. The read emails suddenly had an unread copy. No big deal, I just deleted them.

My news account on the other hand, has been another problem entirely.

I can't seem to see any of the newsgroups that I have subscribed to. The news servers are all listed,but no groups.

What is the recommended procedure for moving Thunderbird installs to another machine with all messages, etc?

rockstiff

Post Posted May 31st, 2003, 1:58 pm

If you just copied files from the old profile to the new one, you'll have to open up prefs.js and check all paths.
The old profile had a different xxxxxxxx.slt name, and you have to change all paths in the prefs.js to the new path.
Mozilla Firefox 0.9 20040817
Windows XP Professional SP1

Return to Thunderbird Bugs