MozillaZine

memory usage...

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
yglodt

Post Posted May 25th, 2003, 7:37 am

Hi,

I've tried to launch Mozilla1.4b and open a mail and a navigator window. Then I surfed a few
pages and read some (already downloaded) mails.

Then I started Thunderbird (05-21), and without even reading a mail it's memory usage
was higher than my complete running Mozilla1.4b.
Tested on w2k.

How far will memory usage reduction be possible? We should not forget that one needs to run
MozillaFirebird aswell to have the same functionality than Mozilla1.4.
Is a shared gklayout.dll a good idea? Maybe installed to winnt\system32?

If they both (thunderbird + Mozfirebird) use twice the memory Mozilla uses I doubt they will have
success... :-(

regards,
Yves

martind

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 4:00 am

Don't get impatient yet, TB as well as FB are at very early development stages. Especially TB will change a lot during the next months.

tve

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 5:31 am

martind wrote:Don't get impatient yet, TB as well as FB are at very early development stages. Especially TB will change a lot during the next months.

it appears everyone's studying the memory usage of all his apps, but version numbers? what's a version number? ;)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>

martind

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 5:55 am

tve wrote:[Please dont mailbomb me - her name is Milla Jovovich]

lol!!

yglodt

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 6:48 am

tve wrote:
martind wrote:Don't get impatient yet, TB as well as FB are at very early development stages. Especially TB will change a lot during the next months.

it appears everyone's studying the memory usage of all his apps, but version numbers? what's a version number? ;)

yes u r right, it's pre-0.1

but using and knowing Mozilla since a long time, I doubt that version 1.0 will use half of the memory it uses now...

mscott

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 9:56 am

yglodt wrote:

but using and knowing Mozilla since a long time, I doubt that version 1.0 will use half of the memory it uses now...

You bring up a good point. It's important for us to manage expectations. Thunderbird is not going to suddenly consume half the memory it uses now. We don't have a silver bullet which if we "do this one thing" our memory footprint will go down dramatically.

It will take a lot of hard work and that hard work has been going on in mozilla for the last couple years. As mozilla continues to reduce it's run time footprint, so will we.
Thunderbirds are Go!

yglodt

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 2:18 pm

mscott wrote:
yglodt wrote:

You bring up a good point. It's important for us to manage expectations. Thunderbird is not going to suddenly consume half the memory it uses now. We don't have a silver bullet which if we "do this one thing" our memory footprint will go down dramatically.

It will take a lot of hard work and that hard work has been going on in mozilla for the last couple years. As mozilla continues to reduce it's run time footprint, so will we.

and that's why I like the Mozilla project !

only I thing that makes me worry is...
the splitting of Mozilla into separate applications has as goal to make them lighter, (isn't it??) and
this is good! MF is the first result of this operation, and it's a success. gecko & xul, but fast and (reasonably) light.

And TB will be the same.

ok, now the /but/...

Most people will certainly run TB and MF in the same time. And it would be great if both of them running together would
actually use less memory than Moz alone... although this might me hard to achieve I guess

As I proposed in my initial post: how about shared dlls?
Both use gecko and xul. Wouldn't it make sense to put these gecko- and xul-dlls into a common place (%windir%\system32 or /usr/lib) and make both apps use the same? (I am no hacker, this is only an idea)

And by this way also enable other apps like galeon or epiphany to use gecko or even xul.

DizzyWeb

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 2:25 pm

There are a lot of posts about GRE, I guess that's the same idea.
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.

mscott

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 2:51 pm

DizzyWeb wrote:There are a lot of posts about GRE, I guess that's the same idea.

Yes that's what the GRE is all about and that's the model we are moving towards. But that just reduces the code footprint size of the two apps since they share common DLLs. It has no impact on reducing the memory footprint. The Apps still load their own copies of the DLLs that you store in a common place.

I highly doubt you will ever see Firebird and Thunderbird running where combined they use less memory than the Mozilla suite. I just don't see that ever happening. In fact I'll say right here it is not possible. All of our footprint gains come from changes to the Mozilla source. If mozilla dropped a meg in run time size then so would we. =)

The mozilla suite is one process with all the applications in it. You should be using that if the footprint of having two gecko processes running on your machine is too much. That's what the suite is there for.
Thunderbirds are Go!

Piel

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 8:04 pm

mscott wrote:Yes that's what the GRE is all about and that's the model we are moving towards. But that just reduces the code footprint size of the two apps since they share common DLLs. It has no impact on reducing the memory footprint. The Apps still load their own copies of the DLLs that you store in a common place.

I am not a coder, but i would have thought that there would be in fact 3 apps being built: GRE, MF and MT...where the last two would be taking what they need from the GRE that would be always running (ie: preloaded on windows?) So why would the separate apps need to pull the same DLLs twice if the GRE is already running?

Return to Thunderbird Bugs