MozillaZine

Easier multiple SMTP

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Thodi

User avatar
 
Posts: 35
Joined: April 24th, 2003, 11:12 am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Post Posted April 24th, 2003, 11:22 am

Please, could you leave the STMP field in the new account wizard visible for every single account I create?

I hate the difficult SMTP configuaration under Mozilla Mail, please simplify this by integrating it into the wizard!

uberfoot

User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: April 16th, 2003, 6:02 pm
Location: Palo Alto

Post Posted April 26th, 2003, 12:45 am

Thodi wrote:Please, could you leave the STMP field in the new account wizard visible for every single account I create?

I hate the difficult SMTP configuaration under Mozilla Mail, please simplify this by integrating it into the wizard!


One setup method that would be quite nice would be to have the wizard/thunderbird accept a drag and drop of a current piece of mail and pick out the appropriate details for pop, name, email etc.

ub

XandreX

User avatar
 
Posts: 40
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 5:31 am
Location: france

Post Posted April 26th, 2003, 4:55 am

uberfoot wrote:One setup method that would be quite nice would be to have the wizard/thunderbird accept a drag and drop of a current piece of mail and pick out the appropriate details for pop, name, email etc.
OK for email & common name, but how can you get the pop (or imap) server from a message ?
XandreX
I'm the kind of people your parents warned you about

bla
 
Posts: 26
Joined: December 11th, 2002, 8:17 pm

Post Posted April 26th, 2003, 9:17 am

Oh yeah! I wish thunderbird people implement this. If you have diferent servers, you have to manually fix the smtp settings as it will pick the default smtp server when you create an account.

uberfoot

User avatar
 
Posts: 12
Joined: April 16th, 2003, 6:02 pm
Location: Palo Alto

Post Posted April 26th, 2003, 2:40 pm

XandreX wrote:
uberfoot wrote:One setup method that would be quite nice would be to have the wizard/thunderbird accept a drag and drop of a current piece of mail and pick out the appropriate details for pop, name, email etc.
OK for email & common name, but how can you get the pop (or imap) server from a message ?


Well the email header contains the pop information, and if you forward yourself an email then you get the smtp as well. Also, likely guesses are possible since the smtp and pop server are often different only by the first name field (pop.a.com, smtp.a.com).

ub

XandreX

User avatar
 
Posts: 40
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 5:31 am
Location: france

Post Posted April 26th, 2003, 2:53 pm

uberfoot wrote:
XandreX wrote:
uberfoot wrote:One setup method that would be quite nice would be to have the wizard/thunderbird accept a drag and drop of a current piece of mail and pick out the appropriate details for pop, name, email etc.
OK for email & common name, but how can you get the pop (or imap) server from a message ?
Well the email header contains the pop information, and if you forward yourself an email then you get the smtp as well. Also, likely guesses are possible since the smtp and pop server are often different only by the first name field (pop.a.com, smtp.a.com).
I just checked : the name of the POP server very rarely appears. If you use a common POP server, it is likely that your pop.server.com points to several mrelay-Nth.server.com , which makes it quite difficult to understand that it is in fact pop.server.com you want in your account.
Moreover, how do you know your pop server is pop.server.com and not pop3.server.com ? And what if you use two different domains for your POP and SMTP server ?

Creating an account is not something you do every day, I think there are more important matters (References: , or scoring for instance), so if this should appear somewhere on bugzilla, I hope it will be only as "enhancement".
XandreX
I'm the kind of people your parents warned you about

Return to Thunderbird Features


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests