MozillaZine

AddOn - DuckDuckGo search for Thunderbird

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
pcdoctor01
 
Posts: 24
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 5:41 am

Post Posted March 17th, 2016, 2:48 am

I figured since there is a Google Search for Thunderbird, there could be DuckDuckGo Search For Thunderbird.
Maybe this will be included in a later release.

DanRaisch
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 119912
Joined: September 23rd, 2004, 8:57 pm
Location: Somewhere on the right coast

Post Posted March 17th, 2016, 4:31 am

If that ever becomes available it will more likely be from an independent developer in the form of an extension, as is the Google search option.

tanstaafl
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 44125
Joined: July 30th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Post Posted March 17th, 2016, 5:46 am

https://duck.co/help/desktop/thunderbird has a downloadable file (not an add-on) you store in the searchplugins directory in the profile to add support for DuckDuckGo searches from within Thunderbird. But when Thunderbird changed OpenSearch a while ago (got rid of the side panel that let you pick between search engines and searches now show up in browser tab rather than a tab in Thunderbird) I can't get it to work anymore. They never updated https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/open-search and the DuckDuckGo web page doesn't state what versions of Thunderbird it supports so it rather confusing.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1076352 seems to describe what I had tried to do in a new profile. However, it talks about "an icon for DuckDuckGo should now appear in the narrow bar along the left edge of the window: " That narrow bar disappeared when the developers modified OpenSearch in Thunderbird. Nowadays you select the search engine in tools -> options -> general and it updates the context menu accordingly.

pcdoctor01
 
Posts: 24
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 5:41 am

Post Posted March 18th, 2016, 3:11 am

I stumbled upon that info on the duck.co webpage. I was like what the what?
Hee hee.
I guess when I saw "Show Folder" and I didn't see a show folder on the page, it totally threw me off.
It's working now.
I have an "Open Directory" button.
Thanks for responding.

The Tinsmith
 
Posts: 834
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 10:29 am

Post Posted March 20th, 2016, 1:51 am

tanstaafl wrote:https://duck.co/help/desktop/thunderbird has a downloadable file (not an add-on) you store in the searchplugins directory in the profile to add support for DuckDuckGo searches from within Thunderbird. But when Thunderbird changed OpenSearch a while ago (got rid of the side panel that let you pick between search engines and searches now show up in browser tab rather than a tab in Thunderbird) I can't get it to work anymore. They never updated https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/open-search and the DuckDuckGo web page doesn't state what versions of Thunderbird it supports so it rather confusing.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1076352 seems to describe what I had tried to do in a new profile. However, it talks about "an icon for DuckDuckGo should now appear in the narrow bar along the left edge of the window: " That narrow bar disappeared when the developers modified OpenSearch in Thunderbird. Nowadays you select the search engine in tools -> options -> general and it updates the context menu accordingly.



I really liked that feature. Would you happen to know why it was removed?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

tanstaafl
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 44125
Joined: July 30th, 2003, 5:06 pm

Post Posted March 20th, 2016, 4:47 am

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1120777 . It looks like they wanted the search to open in the users browser, which they thought would provide a better user interface than they could provide. Removing the narrow bar is a side effect of that decision.

The Tinsmith
 
Posts: 834
Joined: December 24th, 2011, 10:29 am

Post Posted March 20th, 2016, 5:09 am

tanstaafl wrote:See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1120777 . It looks like they wanted the search to open in the users browser, which they thought would provide a better user interface than they could provide. Removing the narrow bar is a side effect of that decision.



But sadly, for me at least, they also removed the ability to add search engines. And, IMHO, the current selection leaves much to be desired.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

geckoZine
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 18th, 2016, 8:31 am

Post Posted August 18th, 2016, 9:06 am

Here's what I did to get DuckDuckGo to be listed as one of the default search engines in Thunderbird version 45.2.0.

1. Download and install the "Google Search for Thunderbird" add-on.

2. Navigate to your profile library. One way is as follows:

Help >> Troubleshooting Information >> Application Basics - Profile Folder >> click Show Folder

3. Navigate the following folders:

extensions >> gsearch@standard8.plus.com >> searchplugins

4. Save the following file into the searchplugins folder:

https://duckduckgo.com/opensearch.xml

rename as duckduckgo-opensearch.xml or something similar, your choice, you can leave as opensearch.xml if you want.

Just be sure that the file extension remains xml.

5. Leave the existing file google.xml as is.

6. Restart Thunderbird.

7. Open the Options window select the General tab and select DuckDuckGo from the Default Search Engine list--you're good to go.

As a side note, any other opensearch xml definition files can be placed here now to add any other search engines that you might want to also use.

Humanist_Geek
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: September 4th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Post Posted September 4th, 2016, 8:45 pm

geckoZine wrote:Here's what I did to get DuckDuckGo to be listed as one of the default search engines in Thunderbird version 45.2.0.

1. Download and install the "Google Search for Thunderbird" add-on.

2. Navigate to your profile library. One way is as follows:

Help >> Troubleshooting Information >> Application Basics - Profile Folder >> click Show Folder

3. Navigate the following folders:

extensions >> gsearch@standard8.plus.com >> searchplugins

4. Save the following file into the searchplugins folder:

https://duckduckgo.com/opensearch.xml

rename as duckduckgo-opensearch.xml or something similar, your choice, you can leave as opensearch.xml if you want.

Just be sure that the file extension remains xml.

5. Leave the existing file google.xml as is.

6. Restart Thunderbird.

7. Open the Options window select the General tab and select DuckDuckGo from the Default Search Engine list--you're good to go.

As a side note, any other opensearch xml definition files can be placed here now to add any other search engines that you might want to also use.

This worked for me. Thanks, geckoZine.

Thunderbird 45.3.0
Windows 10

geckoZine
 
Posts: 2
Joined: August 18th, 2016, 8:31 am

Post Posted September 6th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Good to hear Humanist_Geek. I also tailored the default DuckDuckGo opensearch xml file to clean it up a bit (IMO):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<OpenSearchDescription xmlns="http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/">
<ShortName>DuckDuckGo (SSL)</ShortName>
<Description>DuckDuckGo does not collect or share personally identifiable information. SSL protects searches between you and DuckDuckGo.</Description>
<InputEncoding>UTF-8</InputEncoding>
<LongName>DuckDuckGo (SSL) Open Search</LongName>
<Image height="16" width="16" type="image/png">https://duckduckgo.com/favicon.png</Image>
<Url type="text/html" method="get" template="https://duckduckgo.com/?q={searchTerms}"/>
<Url type="application/x-suggestions+json" template="https://duckduckgo.com/ac/?q={searchTerms}&amp;type=list"/>
</OpenSearchDescription>

I'm not sure how the good folks at DuckDuckGo might feel about it, but...

pafboing
 
Posts: 2
Joined: November 29th, 2014, 4:02 am

Post Posted October 11th, 2016, 5:57 am

Thanks! Finally. I know all this software is free, but still...

geckoZine wrote:Here's what I did to get DuckDuckGo to be listed as one of the default search engines in Thunderbird version 45.2.0.

1. Download and install the "Google Search for Thunderbird" add-on.

2. Navigate to your profile library. One way is as follows:

Help >> Troubleshooting Information >> Application Basics - Profile Folder >> click Show Folder

3. Navigate the following folders:

extensions >> gsearch@standard8.plus.com >> searchplugins

4. Save the following file into the searchplugins folder:

https://duckduckgo.com/opensearch.xml

rename as duckduckgo-opensearch.xml or something similar, your choice, you can leave as opensearch.xml if you want.

Just be sure that the file extension remains xml.

5. Leave the existing file google.xml as is.

6. Restart Thunderbird.

7. Open the Options window select the General tab and select DuckDuckGo from the Default Search Engine list--you're good to go.

As a side note, any other opensearch xml definition files can be placed here now to add any other search engines that you might want to also use.

dumascon
 
Posts: 2
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 8:24 am

Post Posted August 10th, 2018, 3:29 am

To add DuckDuckGo as a search engine (or to make it the default) in Thunderbird,
follow the instructions for adding Google to the search engine list, but either add or substitute the DuckDuckGo file
for the Google file that is mentioned in the instructions.

Instructions: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ad ... pen-search

DuckDuckGo.xml file: https://addons.cdn.mozilla.net/user-med ... eda6c911d1

I just did this in Thunderbird v. 52.9.1 (64bit) and it worked perfectly.

- Tip: Be sure to use 'save file as' to copy the .xml file to the 'searchplugins' folder instead of trying to copy/paste the contents.


Thinkpad Carbon X1 / Linux Mint 18.3 / (Windows 10)

LIMPET235
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 38338
Joined: October 19th, 2007, 1:53 am
Location: The South Coast of N.S.W. Oz.

Post Posted August 10th, 2018, 3:54 am

Why reply to a thread that died on the 11th Oct 2016?
Thanks but...
Locking due to old age.
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/IntelĀ® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-57.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
RadioYachting. (Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Return to Thunderbird Features


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest