MozillaZine

saving a download without dialog box

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
RcC

Post Posted July 5th, 2021, 11:16 am

In Sea Monkey version 2.4??? I could right click on a picture select save and it would download to a specified folder showing a progress box and then it would close. If there was picture or file by that name it would add a number to the end of the original name. My version of Sea Monkey now opens a download window with the name of the picture/file and waits for me to click OK. If the name exist I have to give it a new name. Can any one tell me what I have to do get back to clicking save and it's done? ](*,)
Ric

frg

Post Posted July 5th, 2021, 3:57 pm

Edit->Preferences->Downloads->Open a progress dialog

RcC

Post Posted July 5th, 2021, 7:58 pm

frg wrote:Edit->Preferences->Downloads->Open a progress dialog

Thanks for the reply frg. That is what I had. A "save image" box comes up and I have to click on SAVE. If the file name already exist I have to rename it.
Like I said in my post once I right clicked on the picture and selected SAVE I was done. It saved the picture to the already selected folder and if the file name was already there it would add a (1) to the end of the file name. I remember one other time when I updated Sea Monkey I ran into this problem but figured it out. This time I am lost with any thing new to try. Forgot to add... while the picture was being saved a progress box opened and the bar shot across and then it closed. Could it be a system setting instead of a Sea Monkey setting?
Ric

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 6th, 2021, 12:21 pm

frg wrote:Edit->Preferences->Downloads->Open a progress dialog

That doesn't work for me.
Metal Lion SeaMonkey Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

RcC

Post Posted July 6th, 2021, 1:27 pm

Having the same problem Frank? Did you perform an update and lose that capability? I sure wish I had writen down what I did the last time this happened to me. If I figure it out again I will write it down and post here what I found.
Ric

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 6th, 2021, 1:46 pm

RcC wrote:Having the same problem Frank?

Not really, but after reading your post I vaguely recalled that in the past images, etc used to be instantly saved without dialog.

I figured it would be good to have that back again...and that's when I found out I couldn't, including trying various about:config ideas, let alone frg's one. No idea how it's done now or if even possible.

https://www.lifewire.com/modifying-down ... fox-445716
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

RcC

Post Posted July 6th, 2021, 9:05 pm

I even went back to an older version of SeaMonkey and still can not get it to work. I know it was working before and I'll keep looking for a solution.
Ric

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 7th, 2021, 9:49 am

RcC wrote:I know it was working before and I'll keep looking for a solution.

Solution might be tricky, but at least I know what's going on now.

It's a SeaMonkey badly worded right click context menu option. SM is invoking a 'Save As' option and not a 'Save' option as stated.

Points to note -

#1. - zips save as expected - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download i.e. instantly if Options are set right. Images do not.

#2. - The options dialog box that is opened is a Windows one, not a SM one.

#3. - Select 'View Image' then use Ctl + S and the image is saved immediately. The Windows hotkey for 'Save As' is Ctl + Shift + S .....ergo, SM is actually invoking the 'Save As' option in the menu and not the 'Save' one as stated.

RcC

Post Posted July 9th, 2021, 9:19 pm

I see what you mean. It does save a file with out input from me but it saves it with a .jfiff extension. I'd have to go in a rename the pictures. Close but no cigar. I just wish I could even remember what version of SM I had and go back to that and see what happens. I went back to 2.49.1 so maybe I'll try even further back. Thanks for taken the time to explain how SM handles downloads.
Ric

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 9th, 2021, 11:28 pm

RcC wrote:I see what you mean. It does save a file with out input from me but it saves it with a .jfiff extension.

You sure, mine just saves as .jpg or .png or whatever? Even so, just having to first select 'View Image' before doing Ctrl + S still puts this as a 'close, but no cigar' type 'fix'.

Let me know if you ever find that SM version?

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 11th, 2021, 12:26 pm

RcC wrote: I'll keep looking for a solution.

viewtopic.php?p=14897978#p14897978

RcC

Post Posted July 18th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Frank ctrl-S does work. I believe the one picture I tried it on was not a jpg file. Tried it on a jpg and it worked. Thanks for the trouble. I am now going to look into the Metal Lion Image Saver. Thanks again, great work.
Ric

Return to SeaMonkey General