MozillaZine

refresh SM settings to default

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Justinh

Post Posted August 7th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Hi,
How can I reset SM to default settings for everything except my bookmarks (in native form)? Kinda like Fx's refresh function, I think.
I don't want to keep site preferences or personal browser settings. I just want to keep my bookmarks and e-mail configuration.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 7th, 2020, 3:27 pm

What’s your reason for doing that? What do you hope to accomplish?

Justinh

Post Posted August 7th, 2020, 5:23 pm

I have so many things crossed up over the past 15 years, some things don't work as expected and I think it is because of some legacy setting, don't know what default behavior is, some things work like legacy even though it is no longer supported (because it was set prior to the new behavior), etc., etc. I want to get back to a baseline and know what is changed and how because I'll have to go do it again. I could probably just start a new profile, but then I don't know how to get my bookmarks in with full fidelity.

DanRaisch

Post Posted August 7th, 2020, 7:05 pm

therube

Post Posted August 8th, 2020, 8:10 pm

(IMO...
exit SeaMonkey
copy places.sqlite [including any related -shm, -wal files - if they exist, probably won't be] from old to new
start up new & see if bookmarks are there...)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Justinh

Post Posted August 15th, 2020, 6:10 pm

therube wrote:(IMO...
exit SeaMonkey
copy places.sqlite [including any related -shm, -wal files - if they exist, probably won't be] from old to new
start up new & see if bookmarks are there...)

This worked nicely, therube. I also imported my address books.

Now, what is a good way to get my POP e-mail transferred? I think I could copy the Mail folder and prefs.js, but file has all of SM preferences, and that is one thing I want to avoid copying. If I manually recreate the e-mail accounts, then copy the Mail folder in, will it just hook-up and be good?

(It is unfortunate that browser prefs and mail prefs are not separate. Future enhancement? :) )

Frank Lion

Post Posted August 16th, 2020, 2:02 am

Justinh wrote:Now, what is a good way to get my POP e-mail transferred? I think I could copy the Mail folder and prefs.js,

Yep, with SM closed, copy the Mail folder to the new profile. Then, in the new profile, open the default 'blank' prefs.js and notice that entries are listed alphabetically.

From your original prefs.js copy all entries, as a block, that begin user_pref("mail. and paste them into the right alphabetical position in the new prefs.js and you're done.

Takes 2 minutes to do and is a thousand times quicker than to redo all those mail entries again manually.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Justinh

Post Posted August 17th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Thanks, Frank! That's slick. It doesn't 'refresh' the mail settings, but maybe that will be okay :-)

Thanks, everyone - appreciate the help.

Justinh

Post Posted August 18th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Got an issue with my new install. My old install has several add-ons that I've been using for years, like Web Developer, uBlock Origin, Search and Wider Mail by Yahoo. When I go to the SeaMonkey add-on site (https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... xtensions/), I can't find any of them. Can I copy them over, or do I need so use the Fx add-on site, or ??

It seems 95% of the extensions that are listed are 'not compatible'. :-(

therube

Post Posted August 19th, 2020, 9:23 am

My old install has several add-ons that I've been using for years

Then you have them.
They're in your /extensions/ directory.
Might have "GUID" names, but they're there.

uBlock, you want the (latest) .xpi, uBlock-for-firefox-legacy.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Justinh

Post Posted August 19th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Great - thanks again.

Return to SeaMonkey General