MozillaZine

Moving to FireFox

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
macamba

Post Posted July 4th, 2020, 6:22 am

When I took my first steps on the internet back in the days I quickly moved to (the Venerable) Netscape Navigator. Since then many things changed. But I tried to keep faithful to my original browser. When Navigator was not supported any more I moved to Mozilla, then to SeaMonkey, and now with a heavy heart to Firefox. The move to Firefox is necessary, sad to say, because websites I visit use gizmos that are not displayed correctly in SeaMonkey. It saddens me to have to have to say goodbye to one of the building blocks of said internet, but I think it is time :cry:

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 4th, 2020, 6:35 am

Have you tried tweaking the user agent string to make the sites think you are using Firefox already? viewtopic.php?f=40&t=3060762

Peter Creasey

Post Posted July 4th, 2020, 6:37 am

Before you make such a rash (unwise?) move, perhaps explore, here or elsewhere, what the remedies might be so that SeaMonkey stays viable.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 4th, 2020, 7:07 am

macamba wrote:... then to SeaMonkey, and now with a heavy heart to Firefox. The move to Firefox is necessary, sad to say, because websites I visit use gizmos that are not displayed correctly in SeaMonkey. It saddens me to have to have to say goodbye ....

Now? Looks like you've been using Firefox for over 2 years - viewtopic.php?p=14794416#p14794416

I use Microsoft Edge to watch DRM stuff, because SM doesn't support it. But, I don't make a big song and dance about it because I figure no one would give a damn.

Either way, 'Goodbye Cruel World' posts are never a great idea.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

4td8s

Post Posted July 6th, 2020, 8:43 am

I think it's time for moderators to lock this thread as the OP has said goodbye to SM and won't be coming back

Peter Creasey

Post Posted July 6th, 2020, 10:18 am

Given its offensive and unfair bias, perhaps delete the whole thread.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

ndebord

Post Posted July 6th, 2020, 10:42 am

Frank Lion wrote:
macamba wrote:... then to SeaMonkey, and now with a heavy heart to Firefox. The move to Firefox is necessary, sad to say, because websites I visit use gizmos that are not displayed correctly in SeaMonkey. It saddens me to have to have to say goodbye ....

Now? Looks like you've been using Firefox for over 2 years - viewtopic.php?p=14794416#p14794416

I use Microsoft Edge to watch DRM stuff, because SM doesn't support it. But, I don't make a big song and dance about it because I figure no one would give a damn.

Either way, 'Goodbye Cruel World' posts are never a great idea.

Frank,

I use Open In Chrome (Vivaldi) and IEView (Edge Dev) and that handles those mainly financial sites that bark about SeaMonkey being too old. Our extensions are one good reason to stick with SM.

Nick
-N- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
SeaMonkey(32bit), Acer Spin, Windows 10 Pro (X64 v1909), WinPatrol, MalwarebytesPremium & Avira

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 6th, 2020, 2:38 pm

Peter Creasey wrote:Given its offensive and unfair bias, perhaps delete the whole thread.

Yeah, that's not happening. It's not really offensive nor does it really show significant "unfair" bias.
I will lock it if it shows signs of getting nasty.

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 7th, 2020, 1:41 am

ndebord wrote:Frank,

I use Open In Chrome (Vivaldi) and IEView (Edge Dev) and that handles those mainly financial sites that bark about SeaMonkey being too old.

Makes sense and it's no great burden to do with 'Open With' extensions.

I have noticed that there seems to be even less sites around complaining about 'old browser' since 2.53, compared to 2.49. As in, I can't find any, so if you could post some links to sites that are then that would be useful, as I could test out the User Agent Switcher extension again and fine tune the UA entries needed.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

ndebord

Post Posted July 7th, 2020, 10:22 am

Frank Lion wrote:
ndebord wrote:Frank,

I use Open In Chrome (Vivaldi) and IEView (Edge Dev) and that handles those mainly financial sites that bark about SeaMonkey being too old.

Makes sense and it's no great burden to do with 'Open With' extensions.

I have noticed that there seems to be even less sites around complaining about 'old browser' since 2.53, compared to 2.49. As in, I can't find any, so if you could post some links to sites that are then that would be useful, as I could test out the User Agent Switcher extension again and fine tune the UA entries needed.

Frank,

I shall do so when I get back from Da City. <g> And I agree with you, 2.53 works better on sites than 2.49 did. I'll take any little improvements we can get! I use your Firefox 68 user agent for some sites, when I remember too, that is.

OK, the sites (Prelim) that cause me grief are:

ConEd
Chase and Citibank credit cards
Spectrum
not sure about National Grid

Preliminary, will keep looking out for those that give me grief.

Nick

Citibank
Nick
SeaMonkey(32bit), Acer Spin, Windows 10 Pro (X64 v1909), WinPatrol, MalwarebytesPremium & Avira

therube

Post Posted July 15th, 2020, 1:04 pm

In 2.49 I have overrides for:
bge.com
gmail.com
google.com
kelloggsfamilyrewards.com
quickpayportal.com

(I have no reason to test any of them in 2.53.)

kelloggs simply doesn't work much - anywhere, with possible except of with Chrome.
(If kelloggs can't make their websites work in a diverse set of browsers...
I haven't purchased any kelloggs products in you wouldn't believe how long. Screw'em!)

google, is simply a loosing battle.

bge, you definitely need a login.

quickpay, I'm pretty sure simply outright complained that the browser was too old. So an override works just fine there.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

ndebord

Post Posted July 15th, 2020, 3:18 pm

therube wrote:In 2.49 I have overrides for:
bge.com
gmail.com
google.com
kelloggsfamilyrewards.com
quickpayportal.com

(I have no reason to test any of them in 2.53.)

kelloggs simply doesn't work much - anywhere, with possible except of with Chrome.
(If kelloggs can't make their websites work in a diverse set of browsers...
I haven't purchased any kelloggs products in you wouldn't believe how long. Screw'em!)

google, is simply a loosing battle.

bge, you definitely need a login.

quickpay, I'm pretty sure simply outright complained that the browser was too old. So an override works just fine there.

therube,

Walmart gave me some problems, went back and couldn't recreate. National Grid and The Daily News (sections wouldn't open). Google, aside from email, is avoided like the plague. Can use Bing and Yahoo news if I need that kind of aggregator.

Nick

Return to SeaMonkey General