MozillaZine

Rescued by "Start New Session"

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 10:31 am

I indirectly ended up at a bad site and my computer was taken over with the typical ransomware offering (phone number, phishing, etc.)

I shut PC down and ran Malwarebytes which reported no problems. When I restarted SeaMonkey, my PC was taken over again.

I shut down again and when I restarted SeaMonkey, this time (unlike last time) I was offered the option of "Start New Session" or "Continue Prior Session". I selected "Start New Session" and so far everything is fine. Curious that this option wasn't offered the first time!?!

In any case, kudos to the developers for providing this life-saving capability. SeaMonkey rules!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

mightyglydd

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 11:45 am

Peter are you using any 'crud/Adblocking' extensions ?
Might want to install this.... https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... -1.16.4.20

@I'd run this, https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.

Peter Creasey

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Thanks for responding.

No, I run SeaMonkey clean and lean (and don't have any extensions that I can think of).

How is adwcleaner more thorough than malwarebytes in general (which I ran twice)?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

mightyglydd

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 12:33 pm

It would run cleaner with that Extension which I believe most of us use on all browsers.

@ADW runs fast and is very good at finding 'browser related nasties', if it finds anything you might want to post results here it here before deleting.

TPR75

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Peter Creasey wrote:No, I run SeaMonkey clean and lean (and don't have any extensions that I can think of).

How is adwcleaner more thorough than malwarebytes in general (which I ran twice)?

You have a car and for safety you're using seat belts. Twice a day - at morning before driving to work you're clicking them on-off and at afternoon before driving home you're clicking them again on-off. What if something happens during drive? No, you drive clean and lean... and then drunk driver will hit you!

Similar situation with SeaMonkey - use some blockers (ADB+, uOrigin, NoScript) that works ALL THE TIME, not twice a day. You can tune them yourself (like I did) or use lists/filters prepared by communities/users.

Mozilla Suite and then SeaMonkey were designed for extensions. It's not a shame to use it. But it's wise to choose well what extension you need.

Peter Creasey

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 4:27 pm

Which specific ad blocker do you recommend?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

mightyglydd

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 4:30 pm

mightyglydd wrote:Might want to install this.... https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... -1.16.4.20
Easy to disable on a site, just click the icon then the 'blue circle'' and refresh, to enable again click the 'white circle'.

Peter Creasey

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Are there particular settings to specify...or just use the program defaults?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

mightyglydd

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 5:49 pm

I use the program defaults + Filter list/Annoyances/Fanboy’s Social List...

Peter Creasey

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 6:17 pm

I assume: (i) your filter list are personal choices; and (ii) uBlock for FireFox is suitable for SeaMonkey also?!?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

mightyglydd

Post Posted June 16th, 2020, 7:47 pm

As I said, with one exception I use the Default/'come with' filter list, it works great and yes that's the correct link for SM.
@ viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3061516
The End.

Peter Creasey

Post Posted June 17th, 2020, 4:15 pm

TPR75 wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:You have a car and for safety you're using seat belts. Twice a day - at morning before driving to work you're clicking them on-off and at afternoon before driving home you're clicking them again on-off. What if something happens during drive? No, you drive clean and lean... and then drunk driver will hit you!
Similar situation with SeaMonkey - use some blockers (ADB+, uOrigin, NoScript) that works ALL THE TIME, not twice a day. You can tune them yourself (like I did) or use lists/filters prepared by communities/users.

Your argument is persuasive. I have installed an ad blocker.

As a matter of curiosity, why did you not include uBlock with the examples you gave?

Thanks to everyone here for their good info and recommendations!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

mightyglydd

Post Posted June 17th, 2020, 4:24 pm

I believe he/she did, 'uOrigin'.= uBlock Origin.

Peter Creasey

Post Posted June 17th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Thanks, I didn't know about that reference. That's good to know.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

therube

Post Posted June 22nd, 2020, 7:28 pm

I was offered the option of "Start New Session" or "Continue Prior Session". I selected "Start New Session" and so far everything is fine. Curious that this option wasn't offered the first time!?!

By default, it takes 3 "crashes" before you're asked.
Well, I thought it was 3, but this says differently, browser.sessionstore.max_resumed_crashes - assuming I've found the correct pref (& assuming SeaMonkey isn't slightly different again).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Return to SeaMonkey General