MozillaZine

Pin Tab

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Post Posted May 26th, 2018, 10:45 am

One of the few vaguely good ideas seen in Firefox is the pinned tab (look it up, if you don't know what it is). Here's a fake version of that for SeaMonkey - if you have yours set to 'Restore all tabs' then just have it as your first tab. If you have start with Homepage, then set it as your homepage.

Unlike Firefox, you can still close it by right clicking, which is pretty much the same idea as their right clicking and 'Unpin Tab' setting. I have close buttons on my tabs, like the rest of the known world since 2004, so this gets rid of that on the 'pinned' tab. As usual, this goes in userChrome.css below the namespace line -

Code: Select all
/*Franks Fake Pinned Tab for SeaMonkey...*/

tab[first-tab="true"] .tab-close-button, tab[first-tab="true"] .tab-text{
   display:none !important;
}
tab[first-tab="true"]{
   min-width: 0px !important;
   max-width: 10px !important;}

Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

LewS

Post Posted May 29th, 2018, 8:52 am

Neat Frank, and so easy when someone else shows the way.

However, was there ever an answer which did not beget a question?

Have you a way to protect or lock the "pinned" tab to keep another
site from opening in it?

Frank Lion

Post Posted May 29th, 2018, 10:14 am

LewS wrote:Have you a way to protect or lock the "pinned" tab to keep another
site from opening in it?

All my links, from whatever source, always open in new tabs so that one is not a problem for me, but in theory a link could overwrite this, i.e. it's not protected..

It's not really a pinned tab in the true sense, but it's always the first tab on the left, it is really small, it's hard to accidentally close and the effect persists across restarts...so it feels like a Firefox pinned tab, even if it isn't one.

Not ideal, but it'll do for me and it's better than a rarely used 250px wide tab just sitting there all the time.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

LewS

Post Posted May 29th, 2018, 11:26 am

Yes, I'm still using it for the reasons you say.
Better than it was, which is a rare thing.

My problem is that I've tried all the settings
I can find to make everything open in a new
tab but sometimes they still overwrite.

Not a new problem; I've lived with it since
whenever. Thanks.

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 19th, 2018, 10:23 am

Tiny snippet - the SM Email notifier on the components bar (bottom left on the statusbar) is RIGHT above my OS start menu 'orb'. Once in a while, in a hurry, I hit the orb when wanting to bring up the SM Emal client.

This moves the notifier along to the end of that bar -

Code: Select all
/*Franks Move Mail Notifier...*/
#mini-mail {
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important;
}

Frank Lion

Post Posted July 28th, 2018, 11:44 am

Top Tip - If you use the sidebar for searching History and/or Bookmarks (F9 or toolbar button using SeaFox) then a small irritant with SM is that the sidebar searchbar doesn't get focus, i.e. you have to mouse click it and then type your search.

0% chance of that ever being fixed, despite repeated pleas in our Builds forum (well, I mentioned it once)

However...open sidebar - press F6 twice - you're done.

Return to SeaMonkey General