MozillaZine

Tired of restarting SM.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Wish You Were Here

Post Posted September 24th, 2017, 10:25 am

I know I use it differently. I'm lazy. I don't like to type URLs for site I visit several times a day, or open and close tabs and windows. Typically I have 3 windows open with 15 or more tabs open in each window at all times. I typically keep the notebook running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I can open SM and have all three windows and all tabs available right away.

I run Win 7 HP, SP1 64Bit with 8GB RAM and a 160GB SSD

It does what I need and performs well for the most part.

However ...... SM's well known RAM creep or memory leak as some have called it over the years gradually consumes up to 40 or 50% of the RAM. This of course slows things down and requires closing and restarting SM about every day or two. Minor headache I know, but I sure wish there was some other way to force it to release the RAM.

Nearly all of the time, the Session Manager does the job and makes this process fairly quick. But there are times when it takes longer. Most of the time, everything opens as it should (I tick 'Work Offline" both before closing and reopening from the profile window to make sure the tabs don't all try to populate at once). But there are times when they don't and the Restore Session page shows up. Clicking that works and takes me back to where I left off.

I know most people probably don't have this many tabs open at all times, but like I said, I'm lazy.

So, is there any other way to release RAM? I've tried a couple of Add-Ons that claim to do so, but without results.

Frank Lion

Post Posted September 24th, 2017, 1:02 pm

Wish You Were Here wrote:... but like I said, I'm lazy.

So, is there any other way to release RAM?

Nope.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

therube

Post Posted September 24th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Typically I have 3 windows open with 15 or more tabs open in each window at all times.

That's not a lot, particularly.

SM's well known RAM creep or memory leak

Well known? To whom?
Does FF (or some other browser) perform better in the same situation?

consumes up to 40 or 50% of the RAM

So is that ~4 GB of RAM?
x64 version of SeaMonkey may provide some benefit.
(x64, for Windows, is only available from "other parties".)

Nearly all of the time

Not going to hurt to periodically make backups of sessionstore.json (or more generally, your Profile).

is there any other way to release RAM? I've tried a couple of Add-Ons that claim to do so, but without results.

about:memory exists, but I've never found it (or anything else) to have any material, lasting effect of memory related issues.

(This is a newer build [not by me, but Akalla], 2.49.1, rather then 2.48, viewtopic.php?p=14766347#p14766347. Backup first. Oh, & its a .7z rather then a .exe installer. Simply extract, somewhere, & run.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Wish You Were Here

Post Posted September 25th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Well known? To whom?

I've read more than a few posts about it over the years.

Does FF (or some other browser) perform better in the same situation?

Have never used FF. Sometimes use Opera but stopped updating that at V10, the last of the original type. Try to avoid IE or others. I've used this family of browsers since Netscape. Just kind of stayed with it. Creature of habit I guess.

Will look into the 64B options but don't want problems with future upgrades or migrations.

I try to keep Profile backups relatively current.

Anonymosity

Post Posted September 26th, 2017, 12:27 pm

I am also lazy, but I use bookmarks. Since I do not keep the browser or the computer running all the time, and I do not use the same sites all the time, I use bookmarks (nicely categorized, of course) to have an easy way to access all the sites I want.

Return to SeaMonkey General