MozillaZine

The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

Post Posted August 4th, 2018, 6:53 am

Frank, I'm still using ancient releases of Lotus Word Perfect, Lotus 123, Adobe Photoshop Elements, and probably some other ancient packages I can't think of right now.

So, albeit regrettably, I'll probably continue to use SM much as you describe...and reminisce about the good old day.

For what it's worth, I use both Text and HTML in Email, depending on the content being transmitted.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

Wish You Were Here

Post Posted August 5th, 2018, 4:22 am

Y'all are distressin' me immensely. I needs my Netscape/Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey. I wouldn't know how to web without it. I ain't usin' the Evil G C-mess that they want to be the only browser worldwide. The creators ruined Opera. I haven't tried Vivaldi yet, who knows what that will be like. Never used FF since it's incomplete and a stripped down version of SM. IE and the various flavors of it pretending to be something else are still ... IE.

NS/MS/SM is the only browser I ever really trusted and felt comfortable with.

tonymec

Post Posted August 5th, 2018, 4:48 am

Wish You Were Here wrote:Y'all are distressin' me immensely. I needs my Netscape/Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey. I wouldn't know how to web without it. I ain't usin' the Evil G C-mess that they want to be the only browser worldwide. The creators ruined Opera. I haven't tried Vivaldi yet, who knows what that will be like. Never used FF since it's incomplete and a stripped down version of SM. IE and the various flavors of it pretending to be something else are still ... IE.

NS/MS/SM is the only browser I ever really trusted and felt comfortable with.

You can still use SeaMonkey for some time; and while you can, prepare yourself for the Big Switch: switch over to Linux :P (which SeaMonkey also supports, for as long as it will hold) and, in prevision of the time where SeaMonkey won't be able to display the newest webpages, get familiar with Konqueror, where if you don't like the WebKit rendering engine used by G* Chr* you can still (for the time being, at least) use the (IMHO better) "KHTML (like Gecko)" engine, either occasionally, or even as your default.
Best regards,
Tony

Frank Lion

Post Posted August 9th, 2018, 3:29 pm

tonymec wrote:You can still use SeaMonkey for some time.

I reckon so.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Peter Creasey

Post Posted August 16th, 2018, 7:49 am

I reviewed this thread and want to ask, "As a very basic SM user, is it advisable and safe for me to upgrade from 2.49.3 to 2.49.4?"

Thanks!
Last edited by Peter Creasey on August 16th, 2018, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

alexyu

Post Posted August 16th, 2018, 7:56 am

Surely not, but from 2.49.3 to 2.49.4 I suppose it is... :-)

LewS

Post Posted August 16th, 2018, 7:56 am

Yes, and advisable, assuming you meant 2.49.4.

The point releases are security updates, so any
2.49.* updates would generally be a good idea.

Frank Lion

Post Posted August 16th, 2018, 9:02 am

LewS wrote:Yes, and advisable, assuming you meant 2.49.4.

+1
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Peter Creasey

Post Posted August 16th, 2018, 10:44 am

LewS wrote: assuming you meant 2.49.4.

Lew, yes, now corrected.

Thanks everyone.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

Crogon

Post Posted August 16th, 2018, 4:38 pm

LewS wrote:Yes, and advisable, assuming you meant 2.49.4.

Hey wait, won't 2.49.4 break FireFTP and various other awesome extensions that Firefox killed?

I switched from Firefox to PaleMoon due to the adware issues.
I switched from the PaleMoon ESR to SeaMonkey 2.49.3 for that specific issue, they essentially 'froze' 2.49.3 and broke the auto-update feature on purpose.

By the by.. I came here desperately searching for a solution to the broken Sync function.. but that's a story for another thread. ;)

therube

Post Posted August 16th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Return to SeaMonkey General