MozillaZine

The future of Seamonkey?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
pcfan1234
 
Posts: 3
Joined: August 17th, 2017, 7:23 am

Post Posted July 4th, 2018, 1:14 am

I only use Dillo with Lubuntu 18.04 on my Pentium 3 600 Mhz Computer.
SM is better, because it supports JavaScript.

Peter Creasey

User avatar
 
Posts: 488
Joined: October 26th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Location: Texas

Post Posted July 4th, 2018, 6:11 am

Definitely NOT a knock on the great job the developers are doing, but SeaMonkey is such a great package (the whole suite), it just makes no sense that it might somehow be allowed to fritter away.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19991
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted July 4th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Peter Creasey wrote:... it just makes no sense that it might somehow be allowed to fritter away.

Yet that is precisely what will happen, but then again, I already knew that with 100% certainty over a year ago now.

However, there is a way to safely get another, at an estimate, 4 to 5 years use out of it. Lateral thinking is the salvation here, something that geeks are notoriously poor at.

Certainly it's going to be the route I'll be taking, having confirmed for myself that Firefox 60+ is totally unsuitable for my needs.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

frg
 
Posts: 561
Joined: December 15th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Post Posted July 5th, 2018, 6:15 am

> Yet that is precisely what will happen, but then again, I already knew that with 100% certainty over a year ago now.

Nothing is 100% certain. If it were just security updates this should be manageable. But web standards evolve and this is where I see the other forks stumble too. Anyway we will shoot for 2.57 and then see what happens afterwards. TB does try to create xul replacements now. If they are successful we could dock here for mail news. Browser is mostly js and css anyway. The end product might shed features but should at least be useable and not looking like a toy browser.

> Certainly it's going to be the route I'll be taking, having confirmed for myself that Firefox 60+ is totally unsuitable for my needs.

Well it gets "better" with the followup releases. You just need to make up a new definition for "better" :)

Peter Creasey

User avatar
 
Posts: 488
Joined: October 26th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Location: Texas

Post Posted July 5th, 2018, 7:09 am

Frank Lion wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote: there is a way to safely get another, at an estimate, 4 to 5 years use out of it. Lateral thinking is the salvation here, something that geeks are notoriously poor at.
Certainly it's going to be the route I'll be taking


Frank, please explain your "lateral thinking" concept for extending the usefulness of SeaMonkey.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

tonymec

User avatar
 
Posts: 708
Joined: October 15th, 2004, 2:58 am
Location: Schaerbeek (near Brussels, Belgium)

Post Posted July 5th, 2018, 7:42 am

"Lateral thinking" means "thinking out of the box".
Best regards,
Tony

Frank Lion

User avatar
 
Posts: 19991
Joined: April 23rd, 2004, 6:59 pm
Location: ... The Exorcist....United Kingdom

Post Posted July 5th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Peter Creasey wrote:
Frank Lion wrote: there is a way to safely get another, at an estimate, 4 to 5 years use out of it. Lateral thinking is the salvation here, something that geeks are notoriously poor at.
Certainly it's going to be the route I'll be taking


Frank, please explain your "lateral thinking" concept for extending the usefulness of SeaMonkey.

Yeah, sometime I will, probably.
Metal Lion latest SeaMonkey & Thunderbird Themes - Sea Monkey and Silver Sea Monkey
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)

Peter Creasey

User avatar
 
Posts: 488
Joined: October 26th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Location: Texas

Post Posted July 5th, 2018, 3:41 pm

tonymec wrote:"Lateral thinking" means "thinking out of the box"


Tony, right...so how does that relate to extending the usability of our great SeaMonkey Suite?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

Peter Creasey

User avatar
 
Posts: 488
Joined: October 26th, 2007, 2:32 pm
Location: Texas

Post Posted July 5th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Frank Lion wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:
Frank Lion wrote: there is a way to safely get another, at an estimate, 4 to 5 years use out of it. Lateral thinking is the salvation here, something that geeks are notoriously poor at.
Certainly it's going to be the route I'll be taking


Frank, please explain your "lateral thinking" concept for extending the usefulness of SeaMonkey.

Yeah, sometime I will, probably.


Frank, good...I hope I get to see it.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete

Return to SeaMonkey General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron