MozillaZine

Mail Compose question.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Paul

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 8:32 pm

Why when openning composer by clicking on an email address embeded in an email does composer open up lacking features (such as Link) which are there when you click on the menu bar item Compose? I need all the features of compose regardless if I click on an email address or the menu item Compose.

Paul.

nicubunu

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 12:22 am

Don't need 'Insert Link' in email composer, just type the address.
Example: compose an message addressed to yourself (for testing) and put in the message something like www.site.com , send&receive. Result: in the received message the addres is clickable.
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>

ksheka

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 6:01 am

nicubunu wrote:Don't need 'Insert Link' in email composer, just type the address.
Example: compose an message addressed to yourself (for testing) and put in the message something like www.site.com , send&receive. Result: in the received message the addres is clickable.

Actually, it is usable if you want to do something like <a href="http://www.mozilla.org">this</a>.

jgraham

Post Posted December 6th, 2002, 6:34 am

Paul wrote:Why when openning composer by clicking on an email address embeded in an email does composer open up lacking features (such as Link) which are there when you click on the menu bar item Compose? I need all the features of compose regardless if I click on an email address or the menu item Compose.

Here is my sketch of what I think the answer is, you'll need to work out the details:

Email can be sent either as plain text, or as HTML. The composer toolbar is only used in html mode. By default, Mozilla is set up to HTML mode for direct composition from the mail window, but text mode when you click on a mailto address. This makes a lot of sense - many people cannot, or choose not to read html email (try sending an outlook express emailo with stationary and then reading it in something like pine...). But, if you are replying to an email or sending one to someone who you know you are also likely to know which email format they prefer. If you are sending one to someone whos address you found on the internet, moz. sensibly defaults to plain text - being the far more universal format. It is almost certianly possible to override this somehow - or at least on a message by message basis. On the other hand, you may wish to reconsider that, unless you are sure the recipient can read html email.

Return to SeaMonkey General