MozillaZine

Mozilla Help Site

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
jgraham

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 9:38 am

I am planning to start an 'introduction to mozilla' site, aimed at guiding end users through the download installation and initial use of mozilla. This will be at quite a basic level, aimed at people who used to web browsers such as netscape or internet explorer that will typically come as an all-in-one package. Specifically it will look at:

Downloading mozilla (which version to get)
Installation issues
Obtaining plugins such as flash that will come packaged with other browsers (plus a link to plugins.mozdev.org for more information
Themes
Useful extensions - specifically those that map to other browers' features (Googlebar, Optimoz?)
Known installation problems and their solutions
Basic browser setup and use (popup blocking, tabbed browsing, etc.)
Basic mail and news setup and use

Once I have all of that, I hope to extend the guide to cover some slightly more advanced topics (but I'll count it as a success if I even manage all of the above). So - what have I missed? Have you had a Mozilla problem, and how was it fixed? Do you have a Mozilla site that you'd like me to link to? Do you have any suggestions for content?
N.B. Initially, the guide will be mainly Windows-focused. This is because:
I don't have a Mac.
Linux users can cope for themselves

Also, I appreciate the simmilarity to http://mozilla.gunnars.net/, and probably some others. I hope the sites and complement each other.

alanjstr

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 10:52 am

jgraham wrote:I am planning to start an 'introduction to mozilla' site, aimed at guiding end users through the download installation and initial use of mozilla. This will be at quite a basic level, aimed at people who used to web browsers such as netscape or internet explorer that will typically come as an all-in-one package. Specifically it will look at:

Downloading mozilla (which version to get)
Installation issues
Obtaining plugins such as flash that will come packaged with other browsers (plus a link to plugins.mozdev.org for more information
Themes
Useful extensions - specifically those that map to other browers' features (Googlebar, Optimoz?)
Known installation problems and their solutions
Basic browser setup and use (popup blocking, tabbed browsing, etc.)
Basic mail and news setup and use

Once I have all of that, I hope to extend the guide to cover some slightly more advanced topics (but I'll count it as a success if I even manage all of the above). So - what have I missed? Have you had a Mozilla problem, and how was it fixed? Do you have a Mozilla site that you'd like me to link to? Do you have any suggestions for content?
N.B. Initially, the guide will be mainly Windows-focused. This is because:
I don't have a Mac.
Linux users can cope for themselves

Also, I appreciate the simmilarity to http://mozilla.gunnars.net/, and probably some others. I hope the sites and complement each other.

Errr, you mean like http://texturizer.net/phoenix/index.html ?

jgraham

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 12:02 pm

Not really. For a start, it will not be about pheonix. Also, although I have seen pheonix help, I have never looked at it very deeply, so I'm not trying to copy it. Maybe the title of the thread is misleading - that was supposed to be descriptive, rather than 'oh look pheonix has a help site, why don't I copy that for mozilla?'. It almost certianly would not be the final site title (although I doubt that '-------- help' is really unique to phoenix...)
Last edited by jgraham on December 5th, 2002, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moronicbajebus

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 1:11 pm

You could also add how to change the splash screen.

Return to SeaMonkey General