MozillaZine

aim

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
hou5ton

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 7:14 pm

just downloaded mozilla on xp. looks good, but the buddy list won't come up. i get an alert window that says the file /C:/Program Files/mozilla.org.Mozilla/chrome/packages/aim/SidebarPanel.xul cannot be found. i checked with explorer, and the "packages" folder isn't even there. i've looked all over for help or answers ..... can't find any.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
larry

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 9:10 pm

hou5ton wrote:just downloaded mozilla on xp. looks good, but the buddy list won't come up. i get an alert window that says the file /C:/Program Files/mozilla.org.Mozilla/chrome/packages/aim/SidebarPanel.xul cannot be found. i checked with explorer, and the "packages" folder isn't even there. i've looked all over for help or answers ..... can't find any.

Mozilla doesn't include AIM; it's a Netscape-proprietary feature. You're getting the error because you're using a profile that you've previosuly used with Netscape.
Alex

hou5ton

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 9:32 pm

okay, but i don't know what to do now. there is a buddy list tab on the sidebar, and yes, I did try netscape a week or two ago. I notice Mozilla looks about the same, AND that mozilla came up with the links and stuff just like I had netscape when i used it.

but still, do you have any suggestions.

thanks,
larry

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 9:46 pm

hou5ton wrote:okay, but i don't know what to do now. there is a buddy list tab on the sidebar, and yes, I did try netscape a week or two ago. I notice Mozilla looks about the same, AND that mozilla came up with the links and stuff just like I had netscape when i used it.

Mozilla looks the same as Netscape because Netscape is based on Mozilla. They both store your bookmarks and preferences etc. in 'profiles'. You can have multiple profiles and it's generally a good idea to keep separate ones for Netscape and Mozilla.

As for removing the Buddy List tab, open the Sidebar (F9), open the 'Tabs' drop-down, choose 'Customize Sidebar...', select the Buddy List tab and press Remove.
Alex

MozSaysAloha

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 9:59 pm

hou5ton,

Have you tried going to Netscape's FTP site and download the Win32 XPI file? It should be called aim.xpi.

DJGM

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 10:14 pm

The file is actually called "nim.xpi" and it does not work with Mozilla. Believe me, I tried it
myself, round about the time of Mozilla 0.9.7, and it totally ****ed up my Mozilla profile!

If you want to use a Mozilla based browser that compatible with AIM, use Netscape!

hou5ton

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 10:24 pm

i guess what i'm trying to understand, is if it's even possible to have the instant messaging and icq, etc. as part of the mozilla interface?

also, i tried to figure it out, but don't know how to go to netscapes ftp site. or,....i may have been there once, but wasn't sure what to do with it.

p.s. feelin' dumber by the minute. :-)

hou5ton

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 10:27 pm

okay, just saw the previous message right as I posted mine, and it answered my question. AIM and Mozilla don't go together.

.....so why does a Mozilla download even have the buddy list tab available for people like me to see and think it's supposed to work?

alanjstr

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 10:39 pm

hou5ton wrote:okay, just saw the previous message right as I posted mine, and it answered my question. AIM and Mozilla don't go together.

.....so why does a Mozilla download even have the buddy list tab available for people like me to see and think it's supposed to work?

The tab is from your <b>Netscape</b> profile. Because you shared the profile, it doesn't know that you don't have it installed.

scratch

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 12:47 am

It's there because you installed Netscape and didn't remove your profile before installing Mozilla. So Mozilla is picking up your old settings from Netscape, which include adding the buddy list sidebar tab. If you create a new profile, the tab will go away.

farcus

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 4:00 am

scratch wrote:It's there because you installed Netscape and didn't remove your profile before installing Mozilla. So Mozilla is picking up your old settings from Netscape, which include adding the buddy list sidebar tab. If you create a new profile, the tab will go away.

This kind of stuff is exactly the reason that Netscape should be creating its own profile directory instead of using the Mozilla one by default.
Phoenix fixed this issue - why the hell can't Netscape???

Gunnar

Post Posted December 5th, 2002, 5:35 am

farcus wrote:Phoenix fixed this issue - why the hell can't Netscape???

A saying comes to mind -"Why do dogs lick their balls? Because they can!"
http://mozilla.gunnars.net - The Mozilla Help Site

Return to SeaMonkey General