MozillaZine

Info on 1.2 regressions missing on mozilla[zine]

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
johann_p

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 4:31 am

Obviously there went something wrong with whipping up the final 1.2 release, causing several
highly visible regressions (see e.g bugs 182500, 182317).

Now, that can happen. But I really wonder why that fact is nowhere mentioned at mozilla.org or
mozillazine.org. I think people should be informed that maybe 1.2 is not the "latest greatest browser"
for them and they might want to wait for 1.2.1 or whatever mozilla drivers decide to do in this
situation. IMO this information would be far more important on the mozillazine homepage than all
those "we will release some new stuff next week" articles. I don't assume that mozillazine or mozilla.org is
limiting themselves to only publish good news about the browser, now are they? :)

jgraham

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 5:35 am

I tend to agree- this accident could create a *very* bad impression for many normal users, who are unwilling to use nightly builds because of the perception that this type of problem is more likely (well, this and dataloss bugs). I think the people at mozilla are more than clever enough to work this out for themselves though, so I hope they do the right thing (which IMHO is to pull 1.2 from the front page replace it with 1.2.1 and start trying to alert people, but maybe they will disagree).
As for mozillazine, have you tried submitting this as a story? Maybe then they will run it....

johann_p

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 6:50 am

jgraham wrote:...
As for mozillazine, have you tried submitting this as a story? Maybe then they will run it....

To have this as a story would require a bit more knowledge of what actually happened than I have.
I am sure there quite a few people out there who have that info, so what is still missing is the
willingness to see it as a necessary step to give that information to the general audience.

mesostinky

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 11:45 am

Yeah I have noticed some problems with 1.2. Most notable is a grinding hard drive which never happened with older builds. I thought I was alone, but it was mentioned by a few people on the front page as well. I've also seen that a lot of people who use Mozilla all day long as their primary browser are noticing the memory usuage problems as well. I guess for now 1.2b is the version I'll be recommending.

johann_p

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 2:46 am

Good to see that there is now info on both mozilla.org and mozillazine.org.

JLP

Post Posted November 30th, 2002, 6:49 am

I also have problems with Mozilla 1.2. I visit http://www.slo-lanparty.com/ regularly and with the newest version the news text just gets underlined when moving the mouse over it. Is there already a bug open about this and will tis be fixed in 1.2.1?
Live long and prosper!

mbrubeck

Post Posted December 2nd, 2002, 11:55 am

JLP wrote:I visit http://www.slo-lanparty.com/ regularly and with the newest version the news text just gets underlined when moving the mouse over it.

That's a bug in the page, not in Mozilla. There is an <a> tag with no matching </a>. The page is broken in all versions of Mozilla, and also in IE (but in explorer the link doesn't exist, while in Mozilla it runs to the end of the page).

quattro

Post Posted December 4th, 2002, 9:39 am

more about disk grinding, mailnews is pretty broken to me. eassy tasks like moving some 1000 messages to another folder or even compacting folders causes heavy grinding for more than 15 minutes. and my drive is defragmented, at that. also, attachments sometimes fail to show up. there are other minor glitches, but i am quite used to them.
What happened to MailNews?

Return to SeaMonkey General