MozillaZine

Evangalism lost cause

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Harley

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 1:26 am

From digicamera.com.au:
In our opinion, and the opinion of most heavy duty developers, Microsoft is closer to the standard. Considering that we design to the W3C standard, then any Microsoft browsers will give you an accurate rendition of what we planned for you to see;

The W3C disagrees with their claims of validity. But aside from that, what's most amusing are their list of faults with Netscape browsers (mozilla is not directly mentioned), including:
Netscape's support for Active Server Pages - ASP - is very poor.

I suspect that no amount of evangelism would win over these obviously expert designs though:
We're not Microsoft lovers; far from it. But we have had to choose a standard, and we've chosen to run with the one used by the most people (by far) and the one closest to the W3C international standard ... Sorry, but we can no longer stand the abuse from Netscape and AOL users whose systems choke on our code ... For Microsoft IE users, there's an easy solution; for the users of other browsers, the war is not over. Sorry, to bring you bad news.

I hope you found this page as amusing as I did. :-)

nicubunu

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 2:35 am

I wanted to check how old is the page (they talk about Netscape 6+ and Opera 5.11 so is pretty old) but i can see only "Copyright Electrosoft Arcade 2002, 2003, 2004" at the bottom - clearly, this page is from future !
nicu
<a href="http://openclipart.org">Drawing Together :: The Open Clip Art Library</a>

michel v

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 6:07 am

the abuse from Netscape and AOL users whose systems choke on our code

Perhaps they never ever thought the problem might be with their code...

bim

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 10:12 am

It seems that when they're talking about why Netscape is bad, they're refering to Netscape 4.7. I can't really blame them for that. Except for the ASP-bit (that one made my laugh out loud, still does) I might even agree with them.

The rest of the document could be abvreviated to: "We don't really care about what browser you want to use, we use IE 6 with Java installed, so if you want to visit our site, you'd better have the exact same set-up". They don't seem to be biased to only hating NS or loving IE. Just plain ignorant. Not sure if that's a good or bad point though :D

I even just installed Lynx to check my site. Guess we'd better not ask them to do the same...

doron

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 11:34 am

"Netscape's support for Active Server Pages - ASP - is very poor."

LOL, that was a good one. We don't support a server side langauage :)
If you see a marquee, clap your hands!

MozSaysAloha

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 7:42 pm

As someone who has done some work with evangelism, I can tell you that we are trying to have sites to became compatible with Gecko. Capital One's recent decsion to embrace Gecko and the BBC's recent decsion to fix their news ticker to be more compatible with Gecko are victories for us.

However, we who work in evangelism are not gods. We are fallable humans who are trying our best to open up the web and purge the syndrome known as IEML (Internet Explorer Markup Language). We will not fail in this mission, we will suceed.

bim

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 4:33 am

MozSaysAloha wrote:As someone who has done some work with evangelism, I can tell you that we are trying to have sites to became compatible with Gecko. Capital One's recent decsion to embrace Gecko and the BBC's recent decsion to fix their news ticker to be more compatible with Gecko are victories for us.

However, we who work in evangelism are not gods. We are fallable humans who are trying our best to open up the web and purge the syndrome known as IEML (Internet Explorer Markup Language). We will not fail in this mission, we will suceed.

You're doing a great job. I think the title of the topic really meant it's a lost cause for the creators of the site in question. They seem to be waiting for Mozilla to support ASP :D

Return to SeaMonkey General