MozillaZine

profile manager .exe - 2 apps?

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
fbu924

Post Posted September 23rd, 2013, 10:01 am

Hi: this is on w8.1pre, daily build (still posting here anyway) 27a1 18sept2013. There's an apparent 3rd-party app (not ext/addon) to allow anytime access to user profiles, so ideally I should see the profile managers at will w/o using CLI & adding "-p" at line end each time invoked. I think the app is for both w7 & w8, & I use the PC 99% under the w7 interface (am comfortable w/ w8 too).
-Does anyone know how to make this work for both T-bird & FF at once? The install instructions accompanying were so abstruse I couldn't make this "profile manager.exe" work as promised (for both T-bird & FF). I think it's a dir issue, but if I knew I wouldn't be posting & would have resolved it (if resolvable). Thanks.
Paul L

James

Post Posted September 23rd, 2013, 3:46 pm

To start the ProfileManager program and have it deal with Thunderbird Profiles you need to add a thunderbird switch as otherwise it will deal with Firefox by default. Also the ProfileManager application is Mozilla and not third-party though it has not been in development since May 2011 with 1.0 being the last version.

example.
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Profile Manager\profilemanager.exe" profilemanager-bin thunderbird

viewtopic.php?p=11431787#p11431787

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 24th, 2013, 8:42 am

There was a big fuss a couple of years ago about how the built-in profile manager in Firefox (and then later in Thunderbird) was going to be replaced by a standalone application. However, the standalone application didn't have the features people wanted (it was focused on people testing/triaging, not normal use by users) and that project seemed to stop though it never officially died. Did that project get resurrected?

I looked in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=539524 and https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=214675 but it was unclear what the real (as opposed to the official) status was.

fbu924

Post Posted September 24th, 2013, 10:37 am

Tx, I'm going to call this "resolved", for me. Not a big deal, will cont. to use CLI for tbird.
Paul L

Return to Thunderbird Builds