MozillaZine

Migrating to Daily

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
fircroftstar

Post Posted August 10th, 2013, 2:13 am

I want to transfer my email handling to a newer PC; I use Thunderbird (17) but see that there are newer versions called "Daily" (bad choice - try an internet search, results in millions of pages) - can I restore a MozBackup of TB17 to Daily?

wsmwk

Post Posted August 10th, 2013, 6:21 am

(simplified explanation)

Daily is only recommended if you are willing to "test" recent thunderbird changes and accept the risk associated with using untested code.

However, if you want recent changes with lowest risk, you could use beta from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/

You can use mozbackup to restore your profile to the new PC. From there, thunderbird beta, daily or release versions can all use the same profile data. but you should back it up on a regular basis

rsx11m

Post Posted August 10th, 2013, 7:24 am

Thunderbird 24.0 will be the next "retail" release version and is scheduled for next month, thus will replace the 17.0.x branch where the current releases are coming from.

The general layout of the profiles is the same across versions, it is however not recommended to back from a later release to an earlier one if there have been format changes in any of the profile files (there is usually migration code to move forward from an earlier to a later version, but not from a more recent to an earlier version).

wsmwk

Post Posted August 10th, 2013, 7:49 am

rsx11m wrote:Thunderbird 24.0 will be the next "retail" release version and is scheduled for next month, thus will replace the 17.0.x branch where the current releases are coming from.

In theory. However, typically automated update of big releases lags the official released by a week or more. Also possible with a big release, is that automated update might wait until the first point update, eg, 24.0.1

rsx11m wrote:The general layout of the profiles is the same across versions, it is however not recommended to back from a later release to an earlier one if there have been format changes in any of the profile files (there is usually migration code to move forward from an earlier to a later version, but not from a more recent to an earlier version).

True. But in practice, at least I find, that this is not a problem.

smsmith

Post Posted September 2nd, 2013, 8:35 am

wsm wrote:
rsx11m wrote:The general layout of the profiles is the same across versions, it is however not recommended to back from a later release to an earlier one if there have been format changes in any of the profile files (there is usually migration code to move forward from an earlier to a later version, but not from a more recent to an earlier version).

Yet. You haven't found it to be a problem yet. I recall at least twice where I accidentally used my release profile with Daily and then went back to release and had some cleanup work to do.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

wsmwk

Post Posted September 2nd, 2013, 8:46 am

smsmith wrote:
wsm wrote:

Yet. You haven't found it to be a problem yet. I recall at least twice where I accidentally used my release profile with Daily and then went back to release and had some cleanup work to do.

Sure, "not yet". And I never say "never". And I did not.

So let me elaborate, in a roughly 5 year period I have bounced between close and wide version numbers hundreds if not thousands of times in the same profile and not encountered a problem - which IMO offers great odds. Not recommended of course unless you are willing to bear the risk of having to clean up. But there are certainly many people who are intelligent enough to be able to do it. And given the types of changes made to the codebase in the past year,unlike those made in the version 3.0 and 3.1 era, I'm not hesitant to suggest people be more adventurous.

Return to Thunderbird Builds