MozillaZine

TotalMessage- experimental html5 rewrite of Tb message pane

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
JoeS

Post Posted February 25th, 2011, 7:42 pm

alta88 wrote:TotalMessage v1.0b5 released.

several fixes, new global wrap and js toggle buttons. a header config UI should be next..

Global "wrap headers"
JS toggle
Plaintext links

All look good here. =D>
JoeS Testing current Thunderbird trunk builds WinXP SP2+
news://news.mozilla.org.mozilla.test.multimedia How to Post

alta88

Post Posted March 4th, 2011, 6:01 pm

TotalMessage v1.0b6 released.

header mapping UI, via Customize. spread out the tree columns, double click on a category to get a list. creating a custom header definition is not implemented, not sure if it's necessary given the options available already..

JoeS

Post Posted March 4th, 2011, 7:35 pm

alta88 wrote:TotalMessage v1.0b6 released.
header mapping UI, via Customize.

Got rid of subject, since it's always visible in the system bar in windows.
This UI must have been a pain to implement.
spread out the tree columns, double click on a category to get a list.

What categories are you referring to here.. :(
creating a custom header definition is not implemented, not sure if it's necessary given the options available already..

Will test further..later.

mad.engineer

Post Posted March 4th, 2011, 7:53 pm

I tried it with the new UI added and here are my observations/comments. With the new UI added, I call it a home run :-)

Observations:
- UI to manipulate the headers is really powerful
- The ability to see the total number/count of email address in each of the To:, Cc: fields at the very beginning of the line is just great
- The ability to re-order the headers in any way is great
- Having the ability to select the headers like normal html/text via mouse and be able do a copy/paste is great
- Having the ability to click on the Toggle Attachment button to move it either at the bottom or to the side is great

Comments:

- How about making the UI a global customizable option in the add-on rather than on each message using the square button/box at the top-left corner?. That way the square box would be used to toggle the headers only.

- Refer to the screen shot first: http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2690/tb1p.png. As you can see I checked the box for 'Wrap' both To: and Cc: fields. I am assuming that by checking this box, it mean that if there are multiple address on these lines, then auto-wrap them to the next line to display properly?. If this is true, then refer to the following screen shot now: http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2419/tb2n.png Here you can see that the 'Cc:' field has '4' addresses and even with the 'Wrap' enabled for the Cc: in the UI, the very last address did not wrap, but instead got truncated at after the '@'. So, instead of seeing say 'user@company.com', I see 'user@comp...'. And this is with the message window fully maximized. Do I need to un-check the 'Ellipses' box to make this display correctly, since that box is checked by default?. Not sure what is Ellipses purpose is here though

- Is there a way to add an option in the UI to increase/decrease the header [Subject:, To:, Cc: etc] font size?. As of now, their size seem to be big [http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2419/tb2n.png] compared to the message font size.

Thanks again for this fabulous add-on. Can't wait to use it once TB 3.3 gets to at least Beta status.

alta88

Post Posted March 5th, 2011, 7:39 am

TotalMessage v1.0b6 in place update had been uploaded. this fixes the just recently made plugin pref name change. please re-download the extension.

alta88

Post Posted March 5th, 2011, 7:54 am

JoeS wrote:This UI must have been a pain to implement.
spread out the tree columns, double click on a category to get a list.
What categories are you referring to here.. :(

not the easiest for sure. thoughts of 'going chrome' were not infrequent.

in the list tree, common headers, collected headers.

alta88

Post Posted March 5th, 2011, 8:21 am

mad.engineer wrote:- How about making the UI a global customizable option in the add-on rather than on each message using the square button/box at the top-left corner?. That way the square box would be used to toggle the headers only.

- Refer to the screen shot first: http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2690/tb1p.png. As you can see I checked the box for 'Wrap' both To: and Cc: fields..

- Is there a way to add an option in the UI to increase/decrease the header...

Thanks again for this fabulous add-on. Can't wait to use it once TB 3.3 gets to at least Beta status.

thanks for the comments.

- not likely, it's meant to be more integrated, and was originally for the headers in (x)html(5) bug. but whether it gets into Tb or not, or even if i do it, is unknown.

- yes, wrap is not yet fine tuned. the individual pref for Wrap in customize is not yet implemented. a field will wrap if its header is clicked and it's wrappable (overflows). also, in a multilist item like email or messageid or newsgroup formats, wrap takes place between items but not yet within an item (this is complex). the Ellipsis pref merely indicates if, if a header is wrappable, they should be shown. only for date really or other short fields as i never want to see them there.

very old fx bug 312156 is a killer here.

- it used to work that both header and message would zoom together but i didn't care for that. it can only work that both header and message zoom, or only message. i will likely implement something that if focused on header, zoom both; if focused on message, zoom message.

note there are lots of little hard to discover interactive things. like cursor pointer in editable fields in the customize tree, dbl click starts inline edit, hitting 'd' when a tree header is selected edits the Display Name, 'f' for Format, <space> or <enter> adds the header to the map.

JoeS

Post Posted March 5th, 2011, 12:34 pm

alta88 wrote:TotalMessage v1.0b6 in place update had been uploaded. this fixes the just recently made plugin pref name change. please re-download the extension.

mailnews.message_display.allow_plugins="false" Still seems to allow plugins in mailnews.
Personally, I could care less about total conformance to TB content policy. :D
But, just an FYI.

mad.engineer

Post Posted March 5th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I'll try it bit more with the recent update.

- As for the header font size, if there are not that many email addresses in the To:, Cc: fields, than font size don't bother much. But when it comes to a really large number of addresses say > 10 lines in both To: and/or Cc:, it can to fill up the page with the just headers due to the font size with not much room left for the message viewing space. Is this something you plan to add [Zoom Headers type function in the UI or something similar] in the future versions?

- Do yo also plan to fine tune the 'Wrap' function in the future versions so that it actually would wrap the addresses where applicable?. I think that if there is a way to have a increase/decrease header font functionality added, then even if the wrap don't work, that should at least give the user a workaround to see the complete address in the line rather than seeing a truncated address. Thanks

alta88

Post Posted March 11th, 2011, 11:57 am

TotalMessage v1.0rc1 released.

wrapping has been fine tuned,
UI for border width, header separator, wrap lines prefs added,
header autowrap implemented per customize,
restore defaults button,
fixed plugins policy handling.

after v1, i'll probably include the functionality in the (sadly) dead HeaderTools extension.

JoeS

Post Posted March 11th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Broken image icon on all inline images in rc1
Doesn't seem to matter what content-type.

alta88

Post Posted March 11th, 2011, 4:06 pm

JoeS wrote:Broken image icon on all inline images in rc1

it now follows the pref (set it to false to allow):
mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image
for remote images, and the notify Show Remote Content works for individual mails; i still have to implement the bypass if remote content is allowed for the sender, ie check the ab.

i still need to figure out whether to follow that same pref for news and/or feeds.

JoeS

Post Posted March 11th, 2011, 4:44 pm

alta88 wrote:
JoeS wrote:Broken image icon on all inline images in rc1

it now follows the pref (set it to false to allow):
mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image
for remote images, and the notify Show Remote Content works for individual mails; i still have to implement the bypass if remote content is allowed for the sender, ie check the ab.

i still need to figure out whether to follow that same pref for news and/or feeds.

OK mailnews.message_display.display.disable_remote_image=false
inlines work OK, but no "show remote content" now with remote images.
Maybe I'm looking at cached image data..will try a fresh remote.
Or am I missing something.

JoeS

Post Posted March 11th, 2011, 6:07 pm

So, with the above config, I'm seeing no remote content detection for pop3 inbox, local folders, or newsgroups.

mad.engineer

Post Posted March 11th, 2011, 6:23 pm

I had to disable the compatibility check in 3.3a2 as 1.0rc1 suppose to work with 3.3a3 onwards. Any way, tried it again and Wrap function appear to work as expected. So now at least, even with the default theme on Windows, the header font size is not as that bad of an issue, since you can see all the headers, unlike being truncated earlier. Two issues though:

1) The total count number listed next the Cc: header often do not match with the actual number of headers in the email?. Refer to: http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6673/35317129.png

You can see, To: has only one header in it, which is OK. The Cc: field has Five (5) email addresses in it as highlighted by the red boxes around them. Three (3) on the first line, one on the second line and another one on the third line. I've used the default value of 3 for Wrap in the settings. But at the beginning of the Cc:, you can see that it shows Six (6) next to Cc: --> "(6) Cc:" ??. My question is, why is it showing Six (6), whereas the actual number is actually Five (5). This don't match. Is this a bug in the add-on?.

2) The default background color of the message header pane is gray as you can see in the above screen shot. This is using the standard TB theme on Windows. With darker Gray shade of the header (To:, Cc:, Subject:, etc) fonts color with gray message header background color make reading heavy on eyes. Therefore, I use the following userChome.css to change the default background color from the default Gray to Cornsilk as it works better for me:
#expandedHeaderView, #header-view-toolbox {background-color: cornsilk !important;}

With your add-on installed, it disabled the above css entry meaning, even with having the above line added in my userChrome.css, it has no affect on the message header background color as it remains as the default Gray. If I disable your add-on, the background color changes to cornsilk, which is what it is suppose to do. So, somehow, the add on is not playing well with this css config. Can you give some advise as to why this is happening and how to fix it?. Thanks

Return to Thunderbird Builds