MozillaZine

new builds, old profiles

Discussion about official Mozilla Thunderbird builds
brewthatistrue

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 7:51 pm

will they play nicely together?
if not, how can i migrate (or even copy) my old profile for the new build?

AlexIhrig

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 9:35 pm

I switched tonight from build 21-5-2003 to build 27-5-2003 (win32). There are no problems with the old account (I've only one).

Greetings
Alex

brewthatistrue

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 10:07 pm

diePAUSE wrote:I switched tonight from build 21-5-2003 to build 27-5-2003 (win32). There are no problems with the old account (I've only one).

thanks but i was hoping one of the developers could respond.
i know that sharing profiles between builds in firebird is a no-no, even if some people do it and have no problems (yet). i don't know if that is your case, or what.

thanks

mscott

Post Posted May 27th, 2003, 11:43 pm

Thunderbird mail is built off of Mozilla Mail. You don't need to clobber your profile when upgrading a mozilla build, just like you don't need to do it when upgrading a thunderbird build.

I migrated my profile from mozilla back in February when I made the first Minotaur build available and have been using that profile ever since =).

So from the developer's point of view, enjoy that profile! I do recommend clean installs of the product though as I'm frequenly collapsing DLLs and you don't want stale libraries hanging around.
Thunderbirds are Go!

brewthatistrue

Post Posted May 28th, 2003, 9:25 am

so it's alright if i unzip each build to a separate directory, and use the same profile?

mscott

Post Posted May 28th, 2003, 9:34 am

brewthatistrue wrote:so it's alright if i unzip each build to a separate directory, and use the same profile?

Yup.
Thunderbirds are Go!

AudioWolff

Post Posted May 28th, 2003, 9:49 pm

I know this is probably an ignorant question, but then I am...

When I download a new version (nightly or release), I can blow out my Thunderbird folder (on my system C:\Program Files\Thunderbird), place the new version in the same folder and not lose my settings/folders/messages? ie, those are store elsewhere. Do I have that right?

I would like to start using Thunderbird regularly, but don't want to lose my email every time I upgrade.

Thanks for your patience with a noob.

AudioWolff

mscott

Post Posted May 28th, 2003, 10:33 pm

AudioWolff wrote:I know this is probably an ignorant question, but then I am...

When I download a new version (nightly or release), I can blow out my Thunderbird folder (on my system C:\Program Files\Thunderbird), place the new version in the same folder and not lose my settings/folders/messages? ie, those are store elsewhere. Do I have that right?

I would like to start using Thunderbird regularly, but don't want to lose my email every time I upgrade.

Thanks for your patience with a noob.

AudioWolff

Yes that's correct. Your account settings are stored in a completely different location.
Thunderbirds are Go!

brewthatistrue

Post Posted May 29th, 2003, 10:56 pm

you recommended that anyone looking for a fully featured email client use mozilla mail. (<a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12253#90006">link</a>)

can we use the same profile in both mozilla mail and thunderbird?
how?
i am guessing we can point a new thunderbird profile to our moz mail profile directory.
i don't know if we could do likewise for moz mail though (create a new profile and point to a thunderbird profile directory) because i don't use moz mail at all (yet?).

i find myself voting on a lot of bugs (via bugzilla) for moz mail, and it would be nice (especially as thunderbird matures) to be able to distinguish which bugs are moz mail's and which are thunderbird's.

thanks

mscott

Post Posted May 29th, 2003, 11:51 pm

brewthatistrue wrote:you recommended that anyone looking for a fully featured email client use mozilla mail. (<a href="http://www.mozillazine.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12253#90006">link</a>)

can we use the same profile in both mozilla mail and thunderbird?
how?
i am guessing we can point a new thunderbird profile to our moz mail profile directory.
i don't know if we could do likewise for moz mail though (create a new profile and point to a thunderbird profile directory) because i don't use moz mail at all (yet?).

i find myself voting on a lot of bugs (via bugzilla) for moz mail, and it would be nice (especially as thunderbird matures) to be able to distinguish which bugs are moz mail's and which are thunderbird's.

thanks

Actually I recommended that that particular user use Mozilla Mail if he wanted offline support in the short term because we aren't a full fledged mail client yet. I happen to recommend that everyone who participates in the thunderbird forums use it as their default client if they don't need some of the things that are missing.

On to your questions. No I don't recommend having separate programs (like thunderbird & mozilla mail) share the same profile. Only bad things can come of doing that. That's why your thunderbird profile is found under Application Data\Thunderbird and not Application Data\Mozilla.

Vote away for mozilla mail features. 95% of the changes that happen in mozilla mail are reflected in thunderbird. We use the same code base and almost all of the same UI. Fixes to mozilla mail only help us.
Thunderbirds are Go!

Return to Thunderbird Builds