MozillaZine

How to save IMAP emails locally?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Fred E

Post Posted May 31st, 2006, 11:56 pm

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

I've just gone from pop3 to IMAP not really by choice, but it's what my email provider offers. I've searched google for a good 15-20 minutes and haven't figured out if it's possible to save downloaded emails locally when using IMAP. All I want to do is save all the emails I download in my IMAP account to the inbox, or some folder, and be able to read them when offline (not have to connect everytime I want to read a message in the inbox).

Would someone be so kind as to shed some light on this for me?

tanstaafl

Post Posted June 1st, 2006, 4:20 am

The simplest solution would be to create a message filter that automaticly copied or moved all new messages to a folder in your local folders directory. That way you don't have to muck around with IMAP offline mode (tools -> account settings -> offline & disk space -> offline) to create a synchronized local copy of your inbox that you can read after telling Thunderbird to go offline using file -> offline -> work offline.

You could also use normal menu commands to copy/move just the messages you want to read to a local folder, or select them and then drag and drop them.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29

Fred E

Post Posted June 1st, 2006, 11:34 pm

Ah! Thanks tanstaafl! Just read that book by the way, liked it immensely.

Edit: Ok, I created a filter to copy all messages "To" the imap email addy to the Local Folders Inbox, but when I downloaded a new message, it's nowhere to be found in the local folders inbox... :(

Any ideas?

Fred E

Post Posted June 2nd, 2006, 12:09 am

Ok, I just changed the first field to "From", second field to "isn't" and the third field I left blank. Copy to inbox on Local Folders. Seems to be working now. :)

Seems kind of mickey-mouse, so if you guys have a better way to do it, please let me know!

Jim D

Post Posted June 11th, 2006, 1:50 pm

Wouldn't you get the right result by going into Offline & Disk Space, and checking "Make the messages in my inbox available when I'm offline"?

I think that's pretty close to the behavior that you want, althugh maybe I'm missing something.

tanstaafl

Post Posted June 11th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Using imap in offline mode as you suggested is trickier (for most people) than using message filters since you need to use file -> offline -> work offline to access the local copy and also need to figure out when you want to synch the folders.

DanRaisch

Post Posted July 18th, 2019, 4:06 am

Locking due to the age of the original posts (13 years).

Return to Thunderbird General