MozillaZine

How do you use your Sent folder?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Clued2it

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 1:45 am

I have (too) many accounts on Gmail and I connect to Gmail using IMAP.

I also have quite a big number of folders for each mail account and I also use a few tags for a few of my emails. What I'm wondering about is how does one use the Sent folder? For example is it good practice to move each sent email to the relevant folder concerning the subject matter or are these emails best left to accumulate in the Sent folder? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it either one way or the other?

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 6:10 am

That's a decision calling for a subjective assessment as it all depends on how one works. I leave the sent messages in the Sent folder as the being the first logical place to look for messages I have sent to others. I can/do use Thunderbird's search options to gather sent and received messages on a given subject or from a particular time period. Others may prefer having all messages on a subject in one folder and Thunderbird offers an option to "Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to" under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Copies & Folders. That setting can be activated or not for each account separately.

makaiguy

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 9:10 am

Personally, I never use the Sent folder in any of my accounts at all. I prefer to have both sent and received messages together in the same folder to make it easier to follow threads and subject matter.

I configure TBird to
  • place copies of my outgoing messages into the sending account's Inbox, and
  • have replies placed in the folder of the message replied to, as mentioned by DanRaisch, above
This way, when viewing as threads, all content is grouped together.
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 80.0.1 (64bit), TB 68.12.0 (32-bit) ║ Android 10/7.1.1: FF Mobile 80.1.3, No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

DanRaisch

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 10:56 am

Clearly that works well for you, Doug, and may work for many others but I would feel that the grouped messages resulted in cluttered folders. De gustibus non disputandum est.

Clued2it

Post Posted February 6th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Thank you for the comments. I think I’ll go with keeping my sent emails in folders where the rest of the related emails are kept. I found that if I search for emails with me as sender, then it will be like looking into the Sent folder. So I don’t think that I’ll lose anything if I “tidy up” the Sent folder.

Return to Thunderbird General