MozillaZine

Thunderbird Themes ? What Themes ?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
john bull

Post Posted January 31st, 2020, 10:15 am

I had a lovely wooden theme on my Thunderbird until I updated it to version 68.4.2 (32 bit).

Now this lovely wooden theme has gone and I am left with either black, white or a washed out light blue as default.
What a dreadful mess.

Is there any way I can get my wooden theme back ? I cannot see one.
if I download nice Thunderbird themes from the web, I get an icon on my desktop which when clicked simply opens a notepad
of utter gobble-de-gook.

I have a desktop computer and am on Windows 10 version 1909 - 64 bit and use Chrome as my default browser.
Thunderbird is my default email for many important sources.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

tanstaafl

Post Posted January 31st, 2020, 1:15 pm

By wooden theme do you mean Walnut2?

Complete themes are no longer supported due to limitations of the WebExtensions API. This restriction occurred due to Thunderbird 68.* updating to a newer version of Gecko. It won't go away until the Firefox developers decide they want to add support for complete themes again. The only way I'm aware of to use complete themes again is to go back to a earlier version such as 60.9.1. You can't just edit the manifest file in the complete theme to claim that it supports version 68.

There are two extensions that act like complete themes though. See https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... 68/?src=ss ,

The CustomizeMyBird add-on isn't supported anymore. Its author recommends using CustomCSSforTb instead. You might be able to reuse the resources from the Walnut/Walnut2 complete theme that way, if you're comfortable using CSS.

john bull

Post Posted January 31st, 2020, 1:29 pm

tanstaafl wrote:By wooden theme do you mean Walnut2?

Complete themes are no longer supported due to limitations of the WebExtensions API. This restriction occurred due to Thunderbird 68.* updating to a newer version of Gecko. It won't go away until the Firefox developers decide they want to add support for complete themes again. The only way I'm aware of to use complete themes again is to go back to a earlier version such as 60.9.1. You can't just edit the manifest file in the complete theme to claim that it supports version 68.

There are two extensions that act like complete themes though. See https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... 68/?src=ss ,

The CustomizeMyBird add-on isn't supported anymore. Its author recommends using CustomCSSforTb instead. You might be able to reuse the resources from the Walnut/Walnut2 complete theme that way, if you're comfortable using CSS.

Thank you very much, you have explained the mystery. Progress is not always beneficial.
UTRINQUE PARATUS

Return to Thunderbird General