MozillaZine

Suggestion for improvement

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
thesperado

Post Posted January 24th, 2020, 9:04 pm

A sent mail should *always* display also the date, not just the time on the day of sending, as is now the case.

https://postimg.cc/0K77pRBS
https://postimg.cc/dLm83FdP

Care to comment?

PS The images don't show (don't know why), but they are presently visible at the links given.

LIMPET235

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 3:21 am

The forum will not allow images to be posted directly.
They have to be uploaded to your favourite image hosting site, as you found.
For ref; > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just asking here...
Q?
Does the "Sent" email show the date "Sent" the next day (or later) that you check that email in SENT folder?
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 5:19 am

By default Thunderbird will display only the time for messages sent or received during the current day. After that the date and time will be displayed.

thesperado

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 7:00 am

The 2 images represent the same received message, of 24/1/20 at 21.35. The first screenshot was taken on that same day, the other on the next. Only on the next day (and all future days, I assume) the complete data are shown. This is rather unpractical: Imagine you send a screenshot of it on the same day, and the (business/legal) recipient will say something like 'Good to see the time of the message, but what about the date?'

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 7:35 am

Why would a screenshot be sent rather than forwarding the actual message? It seems you are concerned with a rather unique and unusual use case.

Also, we're not Mozilla so we don't have much, if any, influence on the design of the application.

LIMPET235

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 7:51 am

Hi,
How about an extension to change the details?
See if this one suits your needs...
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... ools-lite/
"Works with Thunderbird 68.0 - 68.*"

The old one...
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... src=search
"Works with Thunderbird 14.0 - 60.*"
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-62.0-70.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.

thesperado

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 9:00 am

I may not be 'expert' enough to give you a really valid answer, but my impression is, if I want to mark something on a message, or send an excerpt only, then I make a screenshot. This is also my method of choice if the message to be forwarded contains attachments which are irrelevant for the forwardee, and I don't know for sure if removing them will completely delete them, or only this time (am too lazy to set up a test scenario to find out).

Regarding the add-on, it does appear after importing in 'message > headerstoolslite' but is greyed out. But even if it works it wouldn't serve the purpose it seems, as they state that it's for 'changing the headers only or the entire source of a message'. Doesn't sound like date or time, no?

And I just think leaving the date away on the day it was sent/received is a pretty 'unusual' way of handling things .)

LIMPET235

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 9:11 am

You don't Import the message....

Did you try highlighting the message & then right clicking it & selecting, Change Header Details > then, > Edit Full Source?

You can change anything you want in the new screen that shows all the message details.

DanRaisch

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 2:01 pm

I may not be 'expert' enough to give you a really valid answer, but my impression is, if I want to mark something on a message, or send an excerpt only, then I make a screenshot.

There's nothing "wrong" with that approach but it's totally unnecessary. When you forward a message, the text you received is present and available for editing in the composition window that opens with the message content. Any attachments appear at the top right corner of the composition window and can be removed (removal is complete) by clicking on the file name and pressing the Del key or right clicking on that file name and selecting "Remove attachment". This does require one to be ethical in the process because it would be possible to change what the original sender wrote, which would be wholly inappropriate! One can, however, add text and highlight that to indicate that it's not from the original sender, or remove text and indicate that by adding ellipsis where the deleted text was removed.

thesperado

Post Posted January 25th, 2020, 7:18 pm

Thanks all. So in other words, it would actually be best if Mozilla just changed this feature, as originally suggested by me .)

Return to Thunderbird General