MozillaZine

Message Size Exceeds Temporary Size Limit Of The Server

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
gtadamsesq

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Message Size Exceeds Temporary Size Limit Of The Server

I use Spectrum RoadRunner as a server with Thunderbird 68.2.2 as my client. I email a copy of the daily Calvin & Hobbes comic to an email group "All My Friends" every morning. The email image is less than 100kb. The group has 56 email addresses, and I have sent this email to this group for the last 10 years with no problem. Around November 1, 2019, I started getting a pop-up message saying "Alert: The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded: 452 4.1.1 Ts2GiZuW9Q44QTs2HidR3s internal error AUP#CMPOL."

Since I know the size of the email isn’t an issue, I broke up my group into two smaller groups of 28 email addresses each, and the email gets sent using Thunderbird with no problem. Obviously the problem is not the size of the email, and not a specific email address, but rather must be due to the number of email addresses in the group.

Using the Spectrum RoadRunner website, it sends the email to all 56 addresses with no problem. Why won’t it send to 56 addresses using Thunderbird?
George T. Adams

DanRaisch

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Different servers involved. When you send via webmail you are not using the SMTP server that an email client like Thunderbird must use.

gtadamsesq

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 3:33 pm

OK. But why will the server being used by Thunderbird allow 28 to go through, but not 56? The pop-up message doesn't say anything about number of email addresses, and Spectrum (previously Brighthouse) never had a problem with sending to up to 90+ email addresses until a week ago.
George T. Adams

makaiguy

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 7:28 pm

gtadamsesq wrote:Message Size Exceeds Temporary Size Limit Of The Server

This is telling you the buffer the server uses for receiving uploaded messages (from you and everyone else connected to it at that time) has reached its capacity. Once those messages have been processed, the space becomes available again. That's why it tells you to try again later.
Doug Wilson, "The Makai Guy"
Win10 (64bit): FF 78.0.1 (64bit), TB 68.10.0 (32-bit) ║ Android 10/7.1.1: FF Mobile 68.9.0, No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers

tanstaafl

Post Posted November 11th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Many email providers have higher limits for webmail than email clients. I suspect they do that as its much easier for a spammer to use a customized email client to send spam than webmail. They're also worried about zombie PCs (PCs taken over by a hacker/virus).

One workaround is to create a google group for all of your email recipients and send the message from that group's email address. I assume you could do that from a Gmail account in Thunderbird. For free accounts I think the group is limited to a maximum of 100 users. Another possibility is Yahoo Groups.

Return to Thunderbird General