MozillaZine

addressbook slow in 68.1

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
fibrolan

Post Posted September 21st, 2019, 9:14 pm

Hi,

I have 3865 contacts in my address under Thunderbird 68.1. in the older version I used Morefunctionsaddressbook and it worked great accessing the addressbook. very fast index. Now with 68.1 is it very slow accessing the addressbook whether I just opned the addressbook and it needs to load the contacts or searching a contact. just plain everything is extremely slow. Is there a way to reindex the addressbook to speed it up ?

On another note, I tried loading cardbook which is much much faster. but it seems that some contacts that I have in the addressbook do not show up in cardbook. I cannot figure out why some show up and some do not.

Any help in any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 22nd, 2019, 4:28 am

I used Morefunctionsaddressbook and it worked great accessing the addressbook. very fast index.

AFAIAA, that extension does nothing to change the way that Thunderbird indexes or searches address book files. To see if the extension is having any impact on access speeds, launch Thunderbird in Mozilla Safe Mode and see what sort of response time you find -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

To "reindex" that address book you could try the following:

Backup the address book (*.mab) files in your profile, just to be safe.

1) Open Thunderbird's Address Book window and create a new Address Book (File->New->Address Book). Name it anything except Personal Address Book. (I would call it Temp Data to indicate it's purpose.)

2) Click on the your current Address Book (I'm assuming it's called Personal Address Book). Now click on any name in the right hand list pane. Press Ctrl-A or use menu path Edit->Select All to highlight all entries.

3) Drag-and-drop the data to the entry in the left hand pane for the new address book. This will copy over all of your address information. Check a number of the contact entries in the new address book to ensure that things have been copied correctly.

4) Now repeat highlighting the contents of the Personal Address Book, then press the delete key to erase the information in that book.

5) Close and restart Thunderbird and open the Address Book window.

6) Highlight all of the contacts in the Temp Data (or whatever you named it) address book and drag-and-drop the data to the Personal Address Book.

7) Close and restart Thunderbird and begin using the "recreated" Personal Address book for addressing messages. See if there has been any improvement.

fibrolan

Post Posted September 22nd, 2019, 10:56 am

hi
Thanks for the quick reply. I figured out what was slowing down the address book and was the addon called category manager. I have all my 3855 contacts and suppliers Categorized. I am trying to figure out an alternative to category manager as I am knee deep with the addon.
I was thinking of taking all my different categories and making them into separate address books but this seems with time consuming and complicated.

Any ideas or pearls of wisdom out there that can help me get around being dependent on category manager but still have my contacts categorized ?

Robert

DanRaisch

Post Posted September 22nd, 2019, 11:27 am

I'm not sure how complicated that change would be. Couldn't you create a new address book named "Category1" (for example) then search in the primary address book for "Category1" so only contacts associated with that category would be displayed? Then you could move all of those contact to the new "Category1" address book. Continue through the other categories in the same way.

fibrolan

Post Posted September 22nd, 2019, 12:42 pm

Thanks. That was what I was thinking. I have though 30-40 categories.
Just time consuming

tanstaafl

Post Posted September 22nd, 2019, 8:01 pm

"it seems that some contacts that I have in the addressbook do not show up in cardbook. "
Any pattern to what contacts don't show up?

poleta33

Post Posted September 27th, 2019, 5:10 am

Hi Fibrolan

I'm very interested if you might find which contacts weren't imported int o CardBook ;O)

fibrolan

Post Posted September 27th, 2019, 5:33 am

There was no specific. what I did find was that if I creat a new address book under Cardbook and imported the list in everything comes in. the only time you are missing contacts (random) is when you install cardbook it does not pull all the contacts. solution; creat a new addressbook and and import.

what i would like to do is the following. I have an addon called category Manager that links itself to the Thunderbird addressbook. I would like to figure out on how to get these categories moved into Cardbook and still maintained with my contacts. This would be fantastic !!!

Robert

poleta33

Post Posted September 27th, 2019, 5:52 am

it's possible to import them but as CardBook does not handle subcategories, all categories would be displayed at level 1...

poleta33

Post Posted September 27th, 2019, 6:55 am

may you contact me (cardbook (at) cardbook.icu) to test a new version ?

wsmwk

Post Posted September 28th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Great that you have identified the cause. Be aware that MoreFunctionsforAddressBook can also cause problems https://mzl.la/2nwIIzZ

Return to Thunderbird General